Question Upcoming Black Friday Tank Upgrade Opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Okari

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've been keeping a 10g a little over a month now and had been looking at upgrading into a 20g to get some more room for my betta to have some tank mate company in. because I had been looking at a 20g hex tall I was told my options were somewhat limited. one of my concerns was finding a properly sized stand that can hold about 200lbs.

today I noticed petsmart announced its black friday sales and has a 60g plus stand they will be offering for $150.

other than the obvious major filter + heater upgrades I would need moving into a 60g, do other people have insight into how that move might go if I went the 60g route instead of the 20g hex tall upgrade? is it easier/harder to maintain a 60g compared to a 10/20, assuming I wasn't planning on adding more than maybe a school of 6-10 somethings (endler guppies?) would there be issues? whats the average weekly maintenance time people have with these sized tanks? the reason i'm thinking about this is the tank kit plus a stand for the 20g I ball-parked around 150-200, so price-wise this feels like an opportunity.

Bruce Barrera

Valued Member
Reaction score
I think you may add a bit more fish than just 10 guppies on that 60 gal...
By just using the standard 1 in fish = 1 gal rule, you could add somewhere between 20-25 guppies given that you do proper maintenance and have a good filter.
Of course, the less fish you have, the less work the tank will give it to you.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The bigger tank isn't necessarily harder if you upgrade your tools as well. Instead of a syphin and buckets something like a python makes water changes and gravel vacing so much easier. Water change wise as far as amount and time frame that would depend on your stocking. Lightly stocked and planted you maybe able to go 2 weeks between water changes of 25%. Heavily stocked you could be in the 50% weekly range.

Goodbye

Valued Member
Reaction score
When it comes to aquarium size, bigger is always better.That's a fantastic price for that tank plus stand.
You'll of course have to factor in the costs of filtration, substrate and new lights if you want live plants.
It will be more work than your current 10g but if you like fish and you have the room for it you'll really enjoy it. Guaranteed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 25 67.6%

Top Bottom