Up to hot water?

1. Captain Jim Initiate Member

I had planned to buy a group of brichardi cichlids this weekend, but this morning remembered how hot my house gets in the afternoons,..being in central Florida. I don't spend a lot of money on air conditioning because I don't have it. So, considering these fish will be subject to 83 degree water, I don't know if they can stand this?

2. SilverDollarCity909 Initiate Member

You could always get a chiller.

3. FiscCyning Member Member

I'm not sure about that species, but a cheaper way to cool tanks is to position a fan blowing across the surface of the water.

4. ricmcc Well Known Member Member

As L. brichardi is not generally kept at densities as high as, for example, as Lake Malawi mbuna are, their water is a little bit easier to manage in terms of oxygen content.
    I keep mine at around 79 degrees, so with good water movement I would expect a 4 degree increase to not be especially significant.
    More importantly, manage their nitrate level closely, as like many Rift Lake cichlids they are very sensitive to it, and keep the tank really clean, as decomposing waste competes for oxygen. Fascinating species, btw, best of luck, rick
    Btw, I think that FisCyning offered an excellent suggestion in using a fan to promote evaporation, and thereby reduce temperature.

5. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member