Unwell Peppered Cory

Sarah125

Reaction score
One of my 4 peppered Cory has been acting strange over the past 2 days. It has been wedging itself between the wood and glass, under the air stone, in between rocks etc and has been breathing very heavily and doesn’t move for very long periods of time. Today it seems like it’s head, lips and gills are a bit swollen. I can also see some red dots on its body but unsure if these are injuries it’s sustained while trying to hide away or if they are related to what is wrong with it. It’s not interested in food however is lively enough if disturbed with the net, almost frantic, but then goes back to hiding and not moving. It’s colour also seems be be duller than the rest. The other 3 are happy and eating and acting completely normally.

They are in a 10 gallon tank with 7 amano shrimp and 1 blue shrimp. I feed them once a day or once every 2 days depending on what they are fed. Tank is kept at 22°C with a heater. Ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 5 and PH is 6.4. Tank has been cycled since around April.

Can anyone help or give some advice?

7D6CADD4-8420-4A23-9E24-CD38DAFA0699.jpeg

Pdiddy

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Welcome to Fishlore!

How long have you had the cories?

I'm not positive on this but 22° C seems a little chilly to me. I've always kept them in warmer temps, maybe try bumping up the temp just a notch?

Sarah125

Reaction score
Welcome to Fishlore!

How long have you had the cories?

I'm not positive on this but 22° C seems a little chilly to me. I've always kept them in warmer temps, maybe try bumping up the temp just a notch?
I’ve had them for around 4 months or so, I originally just had shrimp in my tank then introduced them. I’ll bump the temperature up, thanks!

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
It looks like white patches on the face, mouth. Almost similar to columnaris... is it possible to separate him into his own hospital tank? Itd be easier to treat him.

Others will be able to advise on possible medicines if it is columnaris. Ive lost a fish to it myself. I used the salt treatment but a cory cant have salt, and are tricky with medications since theyre considered "scaleless". So someone who knows more will be able to help

And peppered cories prefer cooler temps, so i wouldnt make it too much warmer, maybe just up 2 degrees

Sarah125

Reaction score
It looks like white patches on the face, mouth. Almost similar to columnaris... is it possible to separate him into his own hospital tank? Itd be easier to treat him.

Others will be able to advise on possible medicines if it is columnaris. Ive lost a fish to it myself. I used the salt treatment but a cory cant have salt, and are tricky with medications since theyre considered "scaleless". So someone who knows more will be able to help

And peppered cories prefer cooler temps, so i wouldnt make it too much warmer, maybe just up 2 degrees
This is the only tank I have unfortunately so I can’t really separate him from the rest. Thanks for your help

Sarah125

Reaction score
I’ve also had 3 shrimp die within, I think, the past week. Water parameters are absolutely fine, numbers in the original post, so unsure as to what is happening. I just found the third one dead just now without it’s skin, just a squishy dead shrimp :( I think the first shrimp that died, died from a failed molt as it was soft and there was a molt next to it. Unsure about the second one as it swimming funny and lying on its back then died the next day.

I put the Cory in a bucket with water from the tank, an air stone and some antibacterial/antifungal medication. I did this yesterday and I’m not sure if it seems to be working or not or if it’s too soon to tell. It seems to be swimming a bit more if I move the air stone close to it which is better than before but seems to “sink” back to the bottom. It’s also moving a bit more in general although still likes to sit in one place for extended periods of time, and still hasn’t eaten. I offered some tubifex earlier as my cories love them but it wasn’t interested.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’ve also had 3 shrimp die within, I think, the past week. Water parameters are absolutely fine, numbers in the original post, so unsure as to what is happening. I just found the third one dead just now without it’s skin, just a squishy dead shrimp :( I think the first shrimp that died, died from a failed molt as it was soft and there was a molt next to it. Unsure about the second one as it swimming funny and lying on its back then died the next day.

I put the Cory in a bucket with water from the tank, an air stone and some antibacterial/antifungal medication. I did this yesterday and I’m not sure if it seems to be working or not or if it’s too soon to tell. It seems to be swimming a bit more if I move the air stone close to it which is better than before but seems to “sink” back to the bottom. It’s also moving a bit more in general although still likes to sit in one place for extended periods of time, and still hasn’t eaten. I offered some tubifex earlier as my cories love them but it wasn’t interested.
it is stressed so it probanly won't eat.
But that's not that important now.
Fingers crossed.

be careful : "waterparameters are perfect?" are the ones we test !

Sarah125

Reaction score
D
No but think you need a real med in this case. Melafix isn't that.
Do you think Interpet Anti Internal Bacteria would be beneficial? It’s one I can buy today whereas most others I would have to order and they would arrive after the weekend.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
D

Do you think Interpet Anti Internal Bacteria would be beneficial? It’s one I can buy today whereas most others I would have to order and they would arrive after the weekend.
I think this is more an external issue than an internal one. But it is a real med.
Don't know it cause I live in Holland.

Sarah125

Reaction score
Just had another look and the interpet antibacterial stuff can’t be used with scaleless fish so I’ll find something else

Sarah125

Reaction score
I just got home from college and unfortunately it didn’t make it. I feel so guilty I didn’t notice the signs earlier. I’m still new to this as it’s my first tank since childhood and I’ve only had it going since around April like I mentioned. I know what to look out for now so hopefully I can learn from this.

I checked my water again today and ammonia is 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5 and PH is still 6.4 so unsure about the shrimp deaths. I did discover another molt where the most recent shrimp died so I wonder if it was another failed molt.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom