Unwell guppies Help 

Liv1234

Reaction score
Hello, I’ve had my tank up and running for 6 months with no problems, guppies and mollies have been in there 4 months. I added two German rams 3 weeks ago which have settled well. Everyone has been happy and healthy until a few nights ago when I noticed an extremely fat guppy with a gravid spot at the top behind the filter, she was still alive and I thought she was sleeping so didn’t think anything of it. Woke up the next morning and she was extremely skinny and her stomach looked like it had caved in. No babies to be seen (these fish constantly have fry and never eat them so I don’t believe they’ve been eaten). Now tonight I’ve noticed part of her tail has gone and I’ve got a guppy that looks like it’s developed a curved spine(photo attached) and now the mollies and guppies are flicking off the air pipe running through the tank and frantically swimming towards the filter where there’s a strong force of bubbles hitting them as if they’ve got an itch they’re trying to get rid of. I’m very concerned they’ve got parasites can anyone help? I do 30% weekly water changes and add Seachem Prime

Heron

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
When multiple fish show signs of illness at the same time I would always suspect a water quality issue. Do you have a test kit? If so what are your water parameters. If you don't have one all I could suggest is daily water changes of 30-40 percent to dilute any issues with the water.

AngryRainbow

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Were the rams quarantined? They may have brought an illness into the tank

Liv1234

Reaction score
They were mixed with other fish in the pet shop and then went straight into my tank with the guppies and mollies after the usual adding water to the bag and waiting etc.
Any ideas what it could be and if there’s anything I can do before it gets worse? Thank you for your help I really appreciate it!

AngryRainbow

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm not positive.

Bent spine and degrading tail would lead me to say bacterial.

But sunken belly and flashing would lead me to say parasitic.

Are there any other symptoms? Is everyone still eating, are their poops looking normal?

Heron

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Liv1234 said:
Just used test strips as that’s all I have at the moment. No nitrites or ammonia, ph is 7.5. Nitrates are also possibly 20ppm. My water hardness appears to be 180ppm though
Guppies like higher hardness levels but can cope with most water hardness levels as long as they don't change too quickly. If it were me I would try to lower your nitrates with some water changes, 20 is at the top end of the safe zone but I find guppies are prone the high nitrate problems. PH 7.5 is good. Test strips are not very accurate, I would suggest getting a chemical test kit at some stage.
Medicating the tank is an option if you can decide what the problem is. You can get general medications that treat everything but I have never used them so I can't comment on how good they are. Try asking for advice at your local shop.
One of the golden rules of fish keeping is if in doubt change some water.
Sorry I can't be of any more help.

Liv1234

Reaction score
All eating fine, I have noticed they are all seriously bloated apart from the one with the sunken belly. Some of the young mollies have been hiding up behind the filter all night. Poop seems to be a light creamy colour with the guppies but the mollies poop is brown at the moment

Liv1234

Reaction score
Heron said:
Guppies like higher hardness levels but can cope with most water hardness levels as long as they don't change too quickly. If it were me I would try to lower your nitrates with some water changes, 20 is at the top end of the safe zone but I find guppies are prone the high nitrate problems. PH 7.5 is good. Test strips are not very accurate, I would suggest getting a chemical test kit at some stage.
Medicating the tank is an option if you can decide what the problem is. You can get general medications that treat everything but I have never used them so I can't comment on how good they are. Try asking for advice at your local shop.
One of the golden rules of fish keeping is if in doubt change some water.
Sorry I can't be of any more help.
I’ll pop into the fish shop tomorrow and see if they recommend anything and see if I can pick up a chemical test kit. You have been a great help Thank you so much! ☺

AngryRainbow

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I would definitely wait and test the waters before medicating. If all that's wrong is water quality, meds can stress them out and make things worse.

At this time it doesn't seem like a clear cut illness so I'm not sure if recommend any meds without knowing what you're treating, sorry

Heron

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Liv1234 said:
All eating fine, I have noticed they are all seriously bloated apart from the one with the sunken belly. Some of the young mollies have been hiding up behind the filter all night. Poop seems to be a light creamy colour with the guppies but the mollies poop is brown at the moment
If they are bloated it may be dopsy, is there any sign of pineconing? ( Scales sticking out looking like a pinecone ) . Dropsy is a symptom not a cause but is often caused by a bacterial infection. Another cause for bloating could be constipation, this is easy to treat, just starve the fish for a couple of days then feed with some shelled pea.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom