Unwanted Zoanthids. How Should I Get Rid Of Them.

CHAMELEON_BREEZE

I have a frag of Zoanthids in my 10 gallon nano reef. They are the only corals in my tank.

I don't really want them anymore because the frag is covered in algae and aiptasia, and some of the polyps are (possibly) dead. I don't want to euthanize them as they were really expensive, so I wan't to give them to someone else. The problem is that because of their condition I don't know if anyone is going to want to buy them, unless maybe I sell them for a cheap price or someone wants to rehabilitate them. Maybe I could give them to the WaikikI Aquarium?

What are some ways I should get rid of them?

I live in Oahu, HI, btw.

Also, my Clownfish and Blue Green Chromis are possibly moving to my (under construction) 75 gallon FOWLR, leaving the 10 gallon completely fish-less. I'm planning to do something awesome to the 10 gallon after they leave. I'll save that for another thread, though.

bettaf1sh 7789

CHAMELEON_BREEZE said:
I have a frag of Zoanthids in my 10 gallon nano reef. They are the only corals in my tank.

I don't really want them anymore because the frag is covered in algae and aiptasia, and some of the polyps are (possibly) dead. I don't want to euthanize them as they were really expensive, so I wan't to give them to someone else. The problem is that because of their condition I don't know if anyone is going to want to buy them, unless maybe I sell them for a cheap price or someone wants to rehabilitate them. Maybe I could give them to the WaikikI Aquarium?

What are some ways I should get rid of them?

I live in Oahu, HI, btw.

Also, my Clownfish and Blue Green Chromis are possibly moving to my (under construction) 75 gallon FOWLR, leaving the 10 gallon completely fish-less. I'm planning to do something awesome to the 10 gallon after they leave. I'll save that for another thread, though.
Why don’t you want it anymore? If it’s because it’s infested with pests and dying, chances are, most people won’t want it either. I don’t think anyone will pay much/anything for a frag covered in algae and aiptasia, I know I sure wouldn’t want to introduce those things into my tank. My suggestion would be to bring it to the lfs and see if they’ll take it off your hands. If not either throw it out or pick off the algae and use some aiptasia x and keep it for yourself! I had one zoa frag that got covered in hair algae, tweezers worked well to remove it, but eventually I had to trash it because the algae would wrap around the zoas and kill them. Can you post a pic? If it looks really bad, I’d honestly just throw it out :/

CHAMELEON_BREEZE

Here they are. I don’t know if any of the polyps will open, and I highly doubt, but it’s possible.

Should I toss em? That would feel like a waste, though. Even if I do clean them, I don’t know if I’ll keep them. Corals are a little too hard for me.

The frag is the algae anemone covered disc in the middle.

Attachments

Tony_097

Dip the coral and see if the gha moves on. I use coralrx pro on every new frag I get. Give it some time and you’ll have a clean frag.

bettaf1sh 7789

If it were me, I’d toss it. You could try to get rid of the algae and aiptasia, but there’s a good chance it would kill the coral in the process, if the coral isn’t already dead. I don’t think anyone would take it off your hands (could still try the lfs, but I have a feeling they’d just trash it) most people don’t want to introduce aiptasia into their systems.

CHAMELEON_BREEZE

bettaf1sh 7789 said:
If it were me, I’d toss it. You could try to get rid of the algae and aiptasia, but there’s a good chance it would kill the coral in the process, if the coral isn’t already dead. I don’t think anyone would take it off your hands (could still try the lfs, but I have a feeling they’d just trash it) most people don’t want to introduce aiptasia into their systems.
My LFS actually has some aiptasia in their tanks. It kind of feels like a good thing, since they usually have copperband butterflies on sale. Sometimes they even have their clownfish hosting them.

They also have a 10 nano reef with a bunch of zoas and clownfish, as well as REALLY healthy anemones! Not sure what type, though. It looks better than my 10 gallon.

bettaf1sh 7789

CHAMELEON_BREEZE said:
My LFS actually has some aiptasia in their tanks. It kind of feels like a good thing, since they usually have copperband butterflies on sale. Sometimes they even have their clownfish hosting them.

They also have a 10 nano reef with a bunch of zoas and clownfish, as well as REALLY healthy anemones! Not sure what type, though. It looks better than my 10 gallon.
Definitely an option. I’m sure they would take it, but if it is dead or almost dead, I don’t know if they’d put too much work into saving it. It really just depends on the store. If you don’t want it and can’t properly care for it anymore, I’d get it to the lfs asap if you want it to have a good shot at survival. Hopefully your lfs is one of the good ones and will do their best to get it healthy again.

Top Bottom