Unwanted Snails In My Shrimp Tank. Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Invertebrates' started by Robert Fletcher, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Robert Fletcher

Robert FletcherValued MemberMember

I just took a photo of my shrimp tank. I know there are some small snails (possibly bladder snails) in there but on the picture is showed a cluster of eggs on the lower part of the heater and looking around the tank I can see more. They must be transparent as I don't see them except in the photo. You can see snails scattered around on the glass.

Snails can be a pest at the best of time unless you want them. The conditions I am giving for the shrimp are the same as the snail will relish. I can only think of adding a snail or two that will eat the snail eggs and in itself look attractive and will not overbreed.

I an welcome to suggestions. ShrimpTank.jpg

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicksFishlore VIPMember

Hello!

You’re bestbet would be assassin snails; they are sexually assigned at birth (for the lack of a better word...can’t remember it right now haha) You could get just one if you want to be absolutely sure you won’t get any breeding. Although 2 might speed up the process, there is always the possibility of getting a M/F.

In addition, you could always do a mini snail trap and use mini water bottles :)

3. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

My answer to getting rid of or at least controlling pest snails is always assassin snails. If you just want to control the pests just get one assassin snail. With just one you never have to worry about them reproducing. Unlike other snails, assassins need both male and female to produce babies.

If you have lots of pest snails you may need to help the assassin by removing as many of the pests as you can and then just let him/her control the rest of them.

If you want the pests gone get more than one assassin. They will eventually reproduce but not nearly as fast as the pests do because instead of laying clutches of eggs they lay one egg at a time.

4. KinsKicks

Not quite one at a time... they do lay quite a few eggs, but more in a sporadic fashion; they aren’t situated in a clutch (like mysteries) or in sacs (like bladders) :)

5. OP
    OP
    Robert Fletcher

Thank you for the advice. I have two tanks the other is a community tank. That is where the snails came from when I planted the Wisteria I was not thinking. All the rest of the plants is TC. So if they did start breeding then I have the other tank. I take it there is no risk to the shrimp. Also is there a chance that they will prefer to eat shrimp food. I am using Bacter AE and so this is everywhere.

6. OP
    OP
    Robert Fletcher

If you look on my photo at the eggs and the snails can you confirm they are bladder snails?

7. KinsKicks

Definitely bladder snail eggs
    Also, beautiful tank!

8. mattgirl

As long as you have pest snails for them to dine on that is what they will prefer. I don't think you have to worry about them going after the shrimps food.

9. mattgirl

True. I just know that I started with 13 assassins. I got curious as to how many I had after having them for over a year and could only find 44 of them. I have a fairly thin sand substrate so it was easy to sift it and get them out. I may have missed one or two but it told me that in my case there wasn't an explosion of them unlike the breeding like rabbits happening with the pest snails so are much easier to keep their numbers down.

The strange thing is ... I have never seen eggs ... neither pest nor assassin.

10. OP
    OP
    Robert Fletcher

I have just ordered 2 assassin snails. I hope they will be happy in their new home. Thanks for the compliments. I will always put in the tank what the inhabitants like. I have frogbit and I am not overjoyed with it but it is there because of the shrimp like it.
    Thanks, everyone I will see how these assassin snails go. I will add a post in a few weeks.

11. OP
    OP
    Robert Fletcher

I did not see any eggs they just showed up in the photo. I took the heater out and cleaned it but never saw them. My guess is the eggs are causing a halation on the photo.

12. mattgirl

That must be how and why we get infested with the pests. If we can't see their eggs we can't know that the tank is getting over run until it is too late. By the time I saw the first snail in my tank it was already full grown and had probably deposited eggs every where.

I fought them for a very long time. I went as far as removing the gravel and replacing it with sand. I took out everything and cleaned all of it in bleach water. I cleaned so much I caused a mini cycle but the snails came back. I was removing dozens of them daily and then I got my assassins and put them to work. Problem solved. :)

13. OP
    OP
    Robert Fletcher

As I said I have these snails in the community tank but they are not that much of a problem.Perhaps some fish may ear them They do crawl out as I have my 29 g tank on my sideboard and when I was doing some vacuuming there were all these dead snails on the carpet underneath.

14. mattgirl

As far as I know none of these ever crawled out of my tank. I guess the kind I had wouldn't do it but apparently there are those that do since yours do.

There are a lot of folks like you that really don't have a problem having some in their tank but in my case I just wanted them gone. I know my tank stays a lot cleaner now that they are gone. Those things were poop machines.

I actually found some surviving in my filter. I removed them and they are now living and breeding in their own 2 gallon jar. I have to vacuum up their poop every other day. I will use them as a treat for my assassins now that they have finished their job in my main tank. They will eat shrimp pellets and the crisps I feed my fish but they do prefer snails.

With just a couple of them in your shrimp tank they shouldn't run out of their favorite food any time soon so it is a win for both you and them. If they do clean out the shrimp tank at least you have another tank with snails to put them in and they can control the number of snails in it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice