Unwanted Fish

willclark797

Reaction score
So my friend had this 10 gallon fish tank that she took horrible care of. There was maybe an inch of water with a pleco and a goldfish which I know is also horrible stocking. She clearly didn' want it so I offered to take it from her. The pleco died that day but the goldfish is still alive. It looks really sick and I don't know what to do with it. I don't want it in the 10 gallon because it won't be healthy and I had some other plans on how to stock it. Could I bring it to the fish store or could I release it into a pond or something?

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Don’t release it into the pond. You’ll destroy the environment.

Best to rehome the fish to the LFS.

JoeCamaro

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I wouldn't release any animal to the wild especially if it is sick.

If you don't think it will survive, you could euthanize it. If you think it can make it through, you could rehome him.

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you release it into the pond you are killing the eco-balance that people worked so hard to stabilize. It will also probably kill all the fish with a foreign disease.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
The goldfish needs clean water ASAP. Not sure what the variety is or the size, but get a 30-40 gallon plastic tub and put clean, conditioned water in it and a filter. It won't be cycled but small daily water changes of 15-20% will keep it manageable. See if anyone with a pond or an LFS will take it if it makes it.

lilabug4545

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Fahn said:
The goldfish needs clean water ASAP. Not sure what the variety is or the size, but get a 30-40 gallon plastic tub and put clean, conditioned water in it and a filter. It won't be cycled but small daily water changes of 15-20% will keep it manageable. See if anyone with a pond or an LFS will take it if it makes it.
In this case, it will probably be too ammonia burned for immediate placement in clean water. You'd want to keep it in the 10G for a week, doing daily water changes (starting small, then bigger and bigger), and then follow this advice. Otherwise the fish will go into shock and likely die,

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom