Unwanted Fish Babies...What to do?

KoshkiRyby

I have a 5 gallon tank with one white cloud mountain minnow, one golden white cloud, and a blue snail. I thought that both of my minnows were male, but when I woke up this morning and looked into the tank, I found about 10 fry swimming near the top. This is a bit of a problem because my tank isn't big enough for them, and I hadn't planned on buying another tank in the near future, but I can't bring myself to kill the fry. I've read that white clouds don't eat their young, so the problem won't take care of itself that way. I'm also worried about this happening again, even if I do get a bigger tank. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions? I'm at a loss as to what to do.

LyndaB

Welcome to the forum!

Your 5 gallon tank is not large enough for the adult minnows, in my opinion. I have a school in my 46 gallon community tank, and they're not tiny fish.

If you don't have the ability to use them as a food source for another tank, you will have to wait until they grow out a bit and see if your lfs will take them from you. In any event, with these two fish, you're going to continue to have this same problem. You set this tank up in January? I'm not sure how long minnows can hold sperm. You do have at least 1 female, though.

AquaLady

Congratulations on the babies and welcome. I wish you can ship the guys to me, too risky lol. But like mentioned, I'll try the LFS or friends?

Arden0208

let nature take its course or sell them. I agree five gallons is too small for minnows.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom