Question Unusually Skinny Cory?

BornThisWayBettas

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So for a couple of months or so, I've had these julii cory catfish, and after a rather tragic die off, I have four left along with three glofish danios in my cycled 20g. My question is, you see, I have this one unusually skinny cory. He acts fine, and has always been a skinny little guy, but for some reason I just can't get him to fatten up! The others are fine too, it's just this one that is smaller, skinnier, and paler than the rest. He has been like this for a long time, so if it were a sickness I would imagine it would've killed him by now. Therefore, I'm wondering if maybe it was a birth deformity? I really don't know, just looking for some sort of explanation! Coradee, do you have any ideas? Oh btw I'm feeding them one crumbled Hikari sinking wafer every night after lights out.

BornThisWayBettas

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I don't know if he eats a lot (I feed him after lights out, so it's hard to see), but I feed them once a night, every night.

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Males are smaller & more streamlined than females, it could be it's just a young male & looks skinny compared to the females.
Can you get a pic of him?

Paul1976

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Could you add some extra protein/fat in the form of some bloodworms and brine shrimp? I feed my cory's those every other day to supplement the new era catfish pellets I feed daily and mine have 'Porked up' nicely compared to what they were at the LFS when I got 'em.

BornThisWayBettas

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Really hard to see from that pic, as Paul has just said try feeding bloodworm, brine shrimp, daphnia etc a few times a week & maybe try a different brand of pellet or wafer as well.
Okay great, might try to get some frozen bloodworm sooner or later (when I'm in Petsmart again). Will all the fish eat the frozen bloodworm? And do they come in live form?

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes your other fish will eat them, if you can get live then that's great, mine go nuts when live bloodworm go in the tank & as some burrow into the sand the corys have a great time rooting them out.

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've found it's mostly independent Lfs that carry live, if you can't get it then frozen is just as good.
As for parasites, yes it's a risk but if you have a trusted supplier the risks are minimal, I've fed live for years & 'touch wood' never had a problem.

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm not a fan of freeze dried foods, frozen would be better if you can get it.

BornThisWayBettas

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
This, then?:

Also, what's wrong with freeze-dried? And I imagine the frozen ones need to be kept frozen in like the freezer or something? Sorry, I'm a total newbie at fish treats LOL!

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Freeze dried food if not thoroughly soaked before feeding can cause bloating & imo isn't as nutritious or appetising.
Yes you have to store the frozen in the freezer, just pop out a block & thaw it in some tank water before feeding.

BornThisWayBettas

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
How long would you say it needs to be thawed for? Also, do I feed them the entire block? Or just chunks of it?

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It only takes a few minutes to thaw.
A whole block may be a bit much for the fish you have so you can just scrape some off the frozen block with a sharp knife

Paul1976

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How long would you say it needs to be thawed for? Also, do I feed them the entire block? Or just chunks of it?
With frozen I scoop some tank water into a shot glass,add the cube into the shot glass,wait half an hour to thaw,stir it up with a wooden tooth pick and then just pour into the tank,the whole lot sinks to the bottom fast and the cory's then go on a feeding frenzy!

BornThisWayBettas

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Awesome, thanks guys! Looks like I'll be adding this to my Petsmart shopping list! How long would you say one pack of frozen bloodworms will last me? And how often do I feed them this?

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Maybe a small addition : I noticed in earlier cases and this one the grains if gravel are quite big. Though I believe corys can be kept at (smooth)gravel it could be food will get out of reach with this kind of grainsize with two possible issues :
- the Corys don't get enough food.
- bacteria aso get the chance to grow cause of the leftovers and could infect fish. / worsen waterparameters.

Don't know it's the case here but just a thought.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom