Unusual Glimmery Spot On Make Silvertip Tetra

MysticEagle

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I'm not noticing any unusual behavior with this guy, but since I do notice this small spot on his side I thought I'd check to see if anyone thinks this is something I should be watching or treating? Photos attached (it's the fish in the back kind of middle in the ).

Also not sure if it's relevant but 1 of my original group of 8 died on me 3 days ago. She was removed from the tank upon loss of mobility. I didn't see any abnormal things on her and all the others have been doing well since.

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 20 gallon long
How long has the tank been running? 6 weeks
Does it have a filter? AquaClear 30 HOB
Does it have a heater? yes
What is the water temperature? 79
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 7 sipvertip tetras

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Only done 1 so far, added fish a week ago
How much of the water do you change? 20%
What do you use to treat your water? Seachem prime and/or API tap conditioner
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? I try to vacuum doso of the substrate as well.

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yep
What do you use to test the water? API master test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: maybe 10-20 hard to tell
pH: ~7.8-8 again hard to tell which

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Every day or 1.5 days
How much do you feed your fish? Small pinch, they finish it within a couple minutes
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Omega one flakes
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Not yet, planning to add in

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 7 days
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Yesterday
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Small glimmery spot on side behind gills.
Have you started any treatment for the illness? No
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? Not that I noticed
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? I haven't noticed any change in behavior as of now.

Attachments

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It looks like there are two white spots on the side of your Tetra. Two possibilities, its either two minor abrasions with a fungus attached, or its a bacterial infection, (Columnaris).
If the problem is an abrasion, no worries. Clean water & time will heal it up. If the white spots broaden, then its likely a bacterial problem. Not good. IMO, its best to remove any obviously infected fish asap, as to avoid spreading the disease. You can treat with antibiotics, but curing a bacterial infection is not easy. Be sure to research both possibilities.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Doesn't look like columnaris at all, columnaris appears to be a fungus, normally on the back or mouth, hence the names "cotton mouth" and "saddle back" disease.
Since the spots are so round, my first thought is Ich. If you look at pictures of early stage Ich, does it look similar? That's a parasite, and since the fish is relatively new, it's possible for it to have all manner of problems.

OP
M

MysticEagle

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the replies. Ok so consensus would be to isolate the affected fish? I have a Lee's specimen container that I can hang on the inside of the tank. Also, I've read that increasing temp can help, would you recommend that route? Should I treat with some anti-ich meds now or observer for another day or so?

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
MysticEagle said:
Thanks for the replies. Ok so consensus would be to isolate the affected fish? I have a Lee's specimen container that I can hang on the inside of the tank. Also, I've read that increasing temp can help, would you recommend that route? Should I treat with some anti-ich meds now or observer for another day or so?
If it is Ich, the whole tank is probably affected. I haven't personally experienced it though, DoubleDutch knows more than I do, and Addie42

Addie42

Well Known
Reaction score
Yeah I’m sorry I can’t see much on the photo
Ick will start to appear on the thinner tissue of the fish like the fins and gills and look like little white specs

you might as well order an ick med or buy them though as a precaution since it’s such a common thing... other people say they love ich-x by hikarI but I’ve had success with super Ick cure

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes looks like ick. Raise the temp to 82-84 add a bubbler and do vacuuming water changes for probably 2 weeks to make sure you got it all. Welcome to fishlore .

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
86 ssinit said:
Yes looks like ick. Raise the temp to 82-84 add a bubbler and do vacuuming water changes for probably 2 weeks to make sure you got it all. Welcome to fishlore .
I'd wait with that for other spots to appear.
Single spots can be everything.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes that’s true but the second pic sure looks like ick. Plus this time of year with the temp difference it makes sense. Sometimes it better to get ahead of it than wait till all of them have the ick dots.

OP
M

MysticEagle

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I really appreciate all the help! I have started raising the temp, and will continue to monitor for more spots on that fish and others. So far I'm not seeing anything. I will probably go ahead and get some meds just to have, as suggested.

Is there any point in trying some of these herbal ick remedies? Or would you say it's not worth it?

I will also say that I feel like it doesn't really look the the ich pictures I'm seeing just by googling. There aren't any small white specks, and the 2 spots from the 2nd photo only show up under a certain angle from the LED.

Addie42

Well Known
Reaction score
MysticEagle said:
I really appreciate all the help! I have started raising the temp, and will continue to monitor for more spots on that fish and others. So far I'm not seeing anything. I will probably go ahead and get some meds just to have, as suggested.

Is there any point in trying some of these herbal ick remedies? Or would you say it's not worth it?
some people do heat and salt (aquarium)
I found it to be more mentally reassuring for me to use ick products since I knew exactly what to put in for the dosage and what should happen when...
the internet is divided on what’s better so it probably means both are fine

OP
M

MysticEagle

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok so for an update: the tank is at 82 and I'm going up to 84 now. Meds/salt are on the way. I don't really see the original spot(s) I was seeing on that fish, but I now noticed a white looking growth type thing on the mouth of a different fish. I got the best photo I could but it's on the right side of his mouth. I'm not sure if this is what ick typically looks like?

Attachments

New Threads