Unusual fish behavior

1. SusanB Initiate Member

I am a very novice fish owner....we have a 30gallon tank with five fish. One large silver dollar and four fish in the piranha family...gold underbelly and gray top. Just changed water and the fish have gone nuts! They are all working together to move the gravel. they have moved gravel in two corners...and they are not eating....but very active. They are all about the same size Any ideas?

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to the forum

Could you provide more information, such as how long the tank has been set up, if it's cycled, and any pictures would be very helpful.

3. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

....yeah gonna need more info, pictures and so on.

4. Dlondon95 Well Known Member Member

Welcome to fishlore!

To help us help you, could you please fill out your aquarium info? Just go to settings near the top of the page and click "edit aquarium info".

Do you know about the Nitrogen cycle? If not, click on the blue line under the words. It is a vital part of aquarium keeping

Do you have a test kit to test your water for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? Those readings can help us find out what is wrong.

A 30 gallon tank is too small for a silver dollar. They need more room because they often get scared and will run into the walls of the tank. Second, they need to be kept in larger numbers for them to feel safe. I would recommend rehoming the silver dollar or getting a bigger tank.

These Piranha like fish, are they aggressive? I'm not really experienced with keeping piranhas, but I think its better to keep them in a species only tank. (again, i'm not sure about that)

I hope you enjoy the site!

5. SusanB Initiate Member

Thanks all who have responded! The fish have lived happily together for about two years....they started out as little guys together. Will try to figure out how to Post a picture.

6. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Its regardless that your tank IS overtsocked. And the fish ARE in substandard condition. We arnt trying to be rude or mean, but those are simple facts.

7. Echostatic Well Known Member Member

Quoted for truth.

As happy as they might seem, it's just unfortunate fact that they are not being kept in the right conditions. Your fish would really benefit from some changes.

8. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Susan, welcome to FishLore! :)

No advice here I don't keep that type of fish.
    I just wanted to say hi!

9. RTBS Member Member

Mating?