Unusual Betta Dropsy?

TheMetatron

Reaction score
I adopted my betta, Hank about two weeks ago. I do not know what conditions he was living in before I aquired him, he was surrendered to the lfs where I work. He is a giant betta (over 3 inches).

After I decided to bring him home I noticed he had a little bit of abdominal swelling and raised scales around his abdomen only. I treated with metroplex (in food and water), kanaplex, and aquarium salt for a week and the swelling and raised scales spread. I treated with maracyn ii and aquarium salt for a week and the swelling spread more. I have now done two Epson salt dips for him and I am starting another course of maracyn ii. Despite the spread of the swelling, I am seeing nothing like the extreme abdominal swelling in most of the Google pictures of betta Dropsy.

What is weird, besides the very slow progression of the swelling is that the whole time I've had him, his appetite and energy have both been excellent, which makes me want to keep trying even though everyone says fish never recover from pineconing.

I am attaching pictures of when I first got him and today. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
IMG_20190902_200714.jpg
IMG_20190902_200720.jpg
IMG_20190916_132207.jpg

magnusjones

Reaction score
I adopted my betta, Hank about two weeks ago. I do not know what conditions he was living in before I aquired him, he was surrendered to the lfs where I work. He is a giant betta (over 3 inches).

After I decided to bring him home I noticed he had a little bit of abdominal swelling and raised scales around his abdomen only. I treated with metroplex (in food and water), kanaplex, and aquarium salt for a week and the swelling and raised scales spread. I treated with maracyn ii and aquarium salt for a week and the swelling spread more. I have now done two Epson salt dips for him and I am starting another course of maracyn ii. Despite the spread of the swelling, I am seeing nothing like the extreme abdominal swelling in most of the Google pictures of betta Dropsy.

What is weird, besides the very slow progression of the swelling is that the whole time I've had him, his appetite and energy have both been excellent, which makes me want to keep trying even though everyone says fish never recover from pineconing.

I am attaching pictures of when I first got him and today. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
View attachment 594880 View attachment 594881 View attachment 594917
I'm sorry, to me it doesn't look like there is much you can do at this point as he looks quite bloated. Just try to make him comfortable.

AvalancheDave

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
See a vet or increase the dosage of Kanaplex. The recommended dosage is 17 times lower than what's recommended by vets.

Metronidazole only affects anaerobic bacteria and you're very unlikely to encounter an anaerobic bacterial infection in fish. Dropsy caused by bacteria is often Aeromonas which, as its name would imply, is aerobic.

Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom