Unsure whether to trust this LFS

1. Abbielouise1804 Member Member

Does anyone in the UK have experience with Dobbies?
    It's a garden centre that has an aquatics section, there are tons of beautiful fish there, marine, tropical and cold water.

Although they all seem healthy and happy in their tanks, I prefer to know if anyone has had experience with fish bought from there?

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I haven't bought fish there, just food & stuff but my experience of looking at the fish when I go they're a bit hit & miss, sometimes all looks fine & others there are dead & dying fish & the staff at my local branch don't seem to know much.
    Having said that, like all chains there are good & bad branches.
    I would use your own judgement, look carefully at the fish, do they all look healthy & are they behaving normally, ask the staff lots of questions to gauge their knowledge.
    At the end of the day they're there to sell so if you're not totally happy then don't buy, if you do then I would strongly advise quarantine as a precaution but I'd advise that no matter where you bought them

3. Abbielouise1804 Member Member

Thanks Coradee in my experience I've bought fish and supplies from pets at home, and they really do question you to make sure the tank and everything is large enough, etc etc.

However I've heard that you could go into Dobbies and ask for like 20 fish and they'd simply say 'no problem'. Just worries me that they maybe don't care for the welfare of the fish.

My own judgment will definitely be the only way to decide like you say I guess