Unsure of what to do with sick fish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Maxy24, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Maxy24

Maxy24Valued MemberMember

I am watching my roommates fish for her over winter break. For a few weeks one fish has been lethargic, hanging out behind the heater and filter intake. But she was easting very well. Then a week or so ago I noticed her color start to change, her normally red body started turning orange and seemed slightly thicker/swollen. I did a water change and dosed the tank with Coppersafe because velvet was the only thing I could think of, I also blacked out the entire tank because I read that can help slow the disease. Her gills have turned pale, also seem sort of swollen, and she appears to be breathing harder. Yesterday she stopped eating and is hiding in the log whenever I look in (though she was just out now when I looked). I'm not sure if she is constantly in there or just hides when I turn on the tank light for feeding time. I tried looking at her with a flashlight beam and her body looks odd, but I'm not so sure it looks like velvet. It doesn't look like she's dusted with anything, more like there are scaly patches of of something on her, it's clearest on her tail fin.

I'm not sure if I should be using some other medication. I have maracyn and maracyn 2 but don't know which one I should use or if they'd even help. I read that you can use them along with coppersafe. I'm also a little unsure as to dosage since it's a ten gallon tank but is filled about 2 inches below the rim for extra oxygen. Any advice would be appreciated, this is my roommate's favorite fish so I'd really like to save her.

And in case it helps, the fish is a platy and is in a ten gallon tank with 3 other platies and two guppies. I have an extra tank and filter but no heater (I had to use it for my frog tank because their heater suddenly started heating up the tank uncontrollably) so I can't remove her.

2. throwthesand

throwthesandValued MemberMember

So, I'm assuming you have a heater in that tank right now? At first, it seems like you may just want to turn the heater up, but the swelling is weird :(. It might be bloat, partially, but it sounds like you have a combination of several symptoms. Look at this website and see if anything matches... I think if you feed peas that helps but I'm not completely sure;

Good luck!

3. catsma_97504

catsma_97504Fishlore LegendMember

Can you post a picture? We need to figure out what is wrong first. Throwing one med after the other into the tank can cause more harm than good.

What are the water parameters? Many meds kill the cycle. Too much nitrogen waste can cause the symptoms as well.

4. OP
    OP
    Maxy24

It's not severe swelling like that...more like inflammation or thickening due to irritation. I will try to get a picture, no promises though as I have trouble taking fish pictures. I will test the water right now.

5. OP
    OP
    Maxy24

Oh and yes, there is a heater in the tank. I turned it up to about 81 degrees a couple of days ago, should I go up to 86 like with ich? I am concerned since her big issue right now seems to be breathing and I know more heat can decrease oxygen in the water.

I tested the water, ammonia was 0, nitrite was 0, nitrate was 5-7.

I tried to get some pictures and a video, but she actually doesn't LOOK that bad, I thought she was getting better actually because she started to look better, but then she started hiding in the log and stopped eating. Here are the photos:

and video, you can see she's breathing hard here:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018