Unsure If This Is Algae Question

Discussion in 'Welcome to FishLore' started by Pwak, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Pwak

PwakNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Hello im Pete 1st time on here can anyone tell me what the brown algae substance is on my aquarium rocks. Been away for a while with people lookin after my tank, it needs a clean which will be done tomorrow but I just can't figure out what this stuff is. Thanks IMG_20190823_190230.

2. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,534
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    It's green or brown, and it's stuck to stuff...it's algae. A couple of common things that contribute to excessive algae growth: high nitrate and/or phosphate levels in the water and excessive light. That looks like a bright ray of sunshine lighting up your tank? That's probably the cause of the algae growth. That kind of light really looks nice during the day, but you will grow lots of green/brown algae and may have periodic algae blooms (green water) with sun light hitting your tank. Also be aware that bright sunlight shining on dark decorations and substrate in a 'box of water' can significantly raise the temperature in that water in a very short time, and can endanger anything in the tank if the temperature change is too rapid or too extreme. In nature, aquatic animals will move out of water that's too warm into deeper, shaded areas of of a pond or lake. Unfortunately, they can't do that in a square box.

3. TheeLadyG

TheeLadyGWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +596
    Experience:
    1 year
    Also, algae can be red, black, brown and blueish! I let algae grow selectively in my tank, I clean it from the sides and front and some decor ( I don't have any plants, my goldfish will take them apart). Your friends probably fed the fish a little too much, and you've got excess nutrients in the tank that the algae is feasting on. It'll probably become less as you get the tank cleaned up and rebalanced.

4. Rye3434

Rye3434Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +67
    Looks like Black beard algae. Spot dosing with flourish excel could help get rid of it.

5. OP
    OP
    Pwak

PwakNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Thank everyone im going to give it a good clean tomorrow and maybe replace all the affected decor. I will also dose with the excel you have been a great help

6. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,534
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Really?? How does that work? Does it work on all algae?

7. Rye3434

Rye3434Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +67
    Excel's active ingredient is glutaraldehyde. It is basically just a chemical, a lot of people use it on BBA to a strong degree of success. For other green algaes, I've used hydrogen peroxide spot dosing, it essentially kills by oxidizing the algae, creating many bubbles.