Unsure if Honey Gourami will gain color

Trebo13

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting so bear with me. I was reading other posts about people with similar issues but I am still unsure of what kind of Gourami I have. I just picked him up from the lfs last week. They just got them in and only had one left. I was told it was a male and that it should turn yellow but it looks gray because it is stressed from the move. It’s been a week and it still looks dull in color but it did develop a black stripe along its side. Is it because it’s still stressed? All my water parameters are right where they should be, my ph is a little high at 7.4. It’s also in a planted 20 gallon with lots of cover along with some neons and Cory cats. Or is this not a true Honey and will stay this grayish color? I’m on a call list for the female since I would like a pair (with any luck they will breed but not a big deal if they don’t). I appreciate the help.

Attachments

• 8E908E56-6168-4CA6-BA52-5070E1789C56.jpeg
    8E908E56-6168-4CA6-BA52-5070E1789C56.jpeg
    213 KB · Views: 43
  • 50B2E4B0-B623-4871-B49B-1A3527FAB087.jpeg
    50B2E4B0-B623-4871-B49B-1A3527FAB087.jpeg
    191.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 04ED8860-92F7-43B7-A7F1-0E4028815B85.jpeg
    04ED8860-92F7-43B7-A7F1-0E4028815B85.jpeg
    228.3 KB · Views: 47

Hellfishguy

It's a female wild-type honey - that's as colorful as they get. Male wild-types, on the other hand...

RSCN0113.JPG

Upvote 0

Trebo13

It's a female wild-type honey - that's as colorful as they get. Male wild-types, on the other hand...

RSCN0113.JPG
Sounds like my lfs doesn’t know much about their fish seeing that they said mine was a male. Thanks for the help! Now I need to find a new fish store to get my Gouramis.

Upvote 0

noxifish

I would see this as a positive thing.. Most people have a really hard time finding a female!

Upvote 0

Trebo13

I would see this as a positive thing.. Most people have a really hard time finding a female!
That’s a good way to look at it, consider it a happy accident. I didn’t realize they were hard to find!

Upvote 0

GlennO

An LFS near me got in a shipment of 30 wild types. Only two of them were females.

Upvote 0

Trebo13

Just an update, I went back to the LFS and talked to the guy about the gourami. He said he know for sure that its a male since he saw it color up. He thinks the reason that it isn't showing color is because there isn't a female to show off to or a male to show dominance. I read in another forum that placing a mirror might make them flare up so I am going to try that and see what happens.

Upvote 0

Hellfishguy

The dorsal fin on male honeys is lemon yellow whether they’re fully colored up or not. That’s the surefire way of accurately sexing them.

Upvote 0

Natalie666

I think she’s actually quite pretty:) any name ideas for her

Upvote 0

HungriestPuffer

Wild-Type honey gouramis are so hard to sex. I still don't know if mine is a male or a female. I've been assuming female since she is in the tank with a juvenile female, has been in there for over a month, and her color hasn't intensified... but we'll see!

Upvote 0

Trebo13

I think she’s actually quite pretty:) any name ideas for her
I haven't thought about any names yet. I wanted to make sure it was male/female before I did. Maybe I could go with a gender neutral name to be safe
Wild-Type honey gouramis are so hard to sex. I still don't know if mine is a male or a female. I've been assuming female since she is in the tank with a juvenile female, has been in there for over a month, and her color hasn't intensified... but we'll see!
You have 2 females? That's impressive since they seem impossible to find. I asked my LFS if they could get me one but they laughed and said it might be a while before they get one.

Upvote 0

jinjerJOSH22

They usually aren't all that hard to find, just often hard to distinguish from sub dominant males in the store.

Upvote 0

Trebo13

I ended up using a mirror and sure enough, his throat started turning that bluish/black color. He didn't color up completely but it was enough for me to know for sure that he's a male. It looks like he will only show color in the presence of another one of his kind. Now I just need to try and find a female!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
chromedome52
  • Question
Replies
Views
Hellfishguy
Replies
Views
airdog44