Unsure How Many Of What 50 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Woodsman27, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Woodsman27

Woodsman27Valued MemberMember

How many cory can I fit in a 50 gallon aquarium?
    Lol I really like cory and mollie fish but not sure what else to add....
    Or how many....
    Any suggestions?

2. Crispii

CrispiiWell Known MemberMember

10-15 of the same species would fit in a 50.

3. OP
    OP
    Woodsman27

Can I do more than that? Like, I want to do a community tank and all I know is that I want cory and mollie.

4. Crispii

It depends on the species.

5. OP
    OP
    Woodsman27

Ok.
    What about....
    8 cory,
    5 mollies,
    A small school or dani's
    And a small school of some sort of tetra (not serpae)
    And maybe, some dwarf Gourami. Like 2 or 3

6. Crispii

That should be good.

7. OP
    OP
    Woodsman27

Neat. Thanks.

8. NoodleKeeper

NoodleKeeperWell Known MemberMember

Just be sure if you go dwarf gourami, either get all female, or just one male. Or, if you want a mixed gender group look into honey gouramis instead?

My lone male is a turd lol they hit maturity and its like game on to be the biggest turd in the tank lol

Also, best try to go for a neutral pH with that mix too. Mollies thrive in hard water (high pH) while cories and gouramis like soft water (but will be okay in hard water, unlike a molly who wont do as well in soft water). So a middle ground would work for mixing the species.

Personality wise the cories and mollies mix pretty good. Some mollies can be bull headed with other fish, but not too bad. They make really fun social fish and usually will leave the cories alone. Cories... you cant have too many, ever. The more the better. So, if you wanted only cories and mollies, a group of 3 mollies, and 2 different groups of cory (id go 6-8 of both species) would offer nice variety but still meet social needs.

Theres many options, depending what you want

9. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

What type of cories are you planning to get? Obviously emerald cories are lot bigger than pygmy cories so which type you get has a big impact on how many you can have.

10. OP
    OP
    Woodsman27

Probably peppered or emerald, whatever the lfs has in stock.

11. yinoma2001

yinoma2001Valued MemberMember

I love my cories (have peppered and albinos). Just remember they get bigger than you think (b/c they're pretty small at the stores).

12. BottomDweller

How about something like this
    10 emerald cories (C. splendens) or 15 bronze cories (C. aeneus)
    5 mollies (all male or all female)
    10-15 zebra/leopard danios
    15 neon tetras or skirt tetras
    1 dwarf gourami

13. yinoma2001

Does anyone know how heavy of a bioload cories give? I'm talking the usual 2-3 inch varieties (not the dwarf ones).

14. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Corys are magic fish they don’t poop.... j/k but honestly I have never seen any of mine poop though they must do.
    I wouldn’t say they have any heavier a bioload than similar sized fish.

15. OP
    OP
    Woodsman27

Oh I love them to death! I had an albino cory before that was so small (I called him tiny Tim!) Lol Also yeah, I had forgotten that they get like 2-2.5 in. I too have had peppers they got mammoth!

I like this stocking! Any certain order I should add them?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2019
  16. hanra85

hanra85Valued MemberMember

I second that about the Dwarf Gourami, they're jerks, and females are too dull so almost no fish stores anywhere ever carries them... In 25 years I've been to one store that had what looked like a couple of females and that was probably shipped by mistake, Honey Gouramis are where it's at though. Even as a breeding pair mine won't even pick on the Celestial Pearl Danio juviniles.

17. OP
    OP
    Woodsman27

Honey it is.

18. yinoma2001

I have a pair of female honeys and they are literally the nicest fish in my tank. Docile and almost a polite fish. Really beautiful too when they get really golden.

19. BottomDweller

I would add the danios first, then the teras, followed by the mollies, next the gourami and finally the cories.

Edit: Tetras, not teras lol

20. hanra85

hanra85Valued MemberMember

20180925151127.jpg20181016001635.jpg
    This is my pair. Male in the first, female in the second. Mine are a year and a half to two years old so they're full grown and still under 2 inch or so... with only males and no female to dress up for the male wouldn't have the black underside but they're still adorable little fish no matter what combo you go with.
    Pearl Gourami would be another good option for a tank that size, but I think the honeys have more personality and could do a group.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019