50 Gallon Tank Unsure How Many Of What

Woodsman27

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
How many cory can I fit in a 50 gallon aquarium?
Lol I really like cory and mollie fish but not sure what else to add....
Or how many....
Any suggestions?

OP
Woodsman27

Woodsman27

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Can I do more than that? Like, I want to do a community tank and all I know is that I want cory and mollie.

MissNoodle

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Just be sure if you go dwarf gourami, either get all female, or just one male. Or, if you want a mixed gender group look into honey gouramis instead?

My lone male is a turd lol they hit maturity and its like game on to be the biggest turd in the tank lol

Also, best try to go for a neutral pH with that mix too. Mollies thrive in hard water (high pH) while cories and gouramis like soft water (but will be okay in hard water, unlike a molly who won't do as well in soft water). So a middle ground would work for mixing the species.

Personality wise the cories and mollies mix pretty good. Some mollies can be bull headed with other fish, but not too bad. They make really fun social fish and usually will leave the cories alone. Cories... you can't have too many, ever. The more the better. So, if you wanted only cories and mollies, a group of 3 mollies, and 2 different groups of cory (id go 6-8 of both species) would offer nice variety but still meet social needs.

Theres many options, depending what you want

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What type of cories are you planning to get? Obviously emerald cories are lot bigger than pygmy cories so which type you get has a big impact on how many you can have.

OP
Woodsman27

Woodsman27

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
BottomDweller said:
What type of cories are you planning to get? Obviously emerald cories are lot bigger than pygmy cories so which type you get has a big impact on how many you can have.
Probably peppered or emerald, whatever the lfs has in stock.

yinoma2001

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I love my cories (have peppered and albinos). Just remember they get bigger than you think (b/c they're pretty small at the stores).

yinoma2001

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Does anyone know how heavy of a bioload cories give? I'm talking the usual 2-3 inch varieties (not the dwarf ones).

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yinoma2001 said:
Does anyone know how heavy of a bioload cories give? I'm talking the usual 2-3 inch varieties (not the dwarf ones).
Corys are magic fish they don’t poop.... j/k but honestly I have never seen any of mine poop though they must do.
I wouldn’t say they have any heavier a bioload than similar sized fish.

OP
Woodsman27

Woodsman27

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
yinoma2001 said:
I love my cories (have peppered and albinos). Just remember they get bigger than you think (b/c they're pretty small at the stores).
Oh I love them to death! I had an albino cory before that was so small (I called him tiny Tim!) Lol Also yeah, I had forgotten that they get like 2-2.5 in. I too have had peppers they got mammoth!

BottomDweller said:
How about something like this
10 emerald cories (C. splendens) or 15 bronze cories (C. aeneus)
5 mollies (all male or all female)
10-15 zebra/leopard danios
15 neon tetras or skirt tetras
1 dwarf gourami
I like this stocking! Any certain order I should add them?

hanra85

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
AllNoodles said:
Just be sure if you go dwarf gourami, either get all female, or just one male. Or, if you want a mixed gender group look into honey gouramis instead?

My lone male is a turd lol they hit maturity and its like game on to be the biggest turd in the tank lol

Also, best try to go for a neutral pH with that mix too. Mollies thrive in hard water (high pH) while cories and gouramis like soft water (but will be okay in hard water, unlike a molly who won't do as well in soft water). So a middle ground would work for mixing the species.

Personality wise the cories and mollies mix pretty good. Some mollies can be bull headed with other fish, but not too bad. They make really fun social fish and usually will leave the cories alone. Cories... you can't have too many, ever. The more the better. So, if you wanted only cories and mollies, a group of 3 mollies, and 2 different groups of cory (id go 6-8 of both species) would offer nice variety but still meet social needs.

Theres many options, depending what you want
I second that about the Dwarf Gourami, they're jerks, and females are too dull so almost no fish stores anywhere ever carries them... In 25 years I've been to one store that had what looked like a couple of females and that was probably shipped by mistake, Honey Gouramis are where it's at though. Even as a breeding pair mine won't even pick on the Celestial Pearl Danio juviniles.

yinoma2001

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Pauly27 said:
Honey it is.
I have a pair of female honeys and they are literally the nicest fish in my tank. Docile and almost a polite fish. Really beautiful too when they get really golden.

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Pauly27 said:
I like this stocking! Any certain order I should add them?
I would add the danios first, then the teras, followed by the mollies, next the gouramI and finally the cories.

Edit: Tetras, not teras lol

hanra85

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Pauly27 said:
Honey it is.
20180925151127.jpg 20181016001635.jpg
This is my pair. Male in the first, female in the second. Mine are a year and a half to two years old so they're full grown and still under 2 inch or so... with only males and no female to dress up for the male wouldn't have the black underside but they're still adorable little fish no matter what combo you go with.
Pearl GouramI would be another good option for a tank that size, but I think the honeys have more personality and could do a group.

New Threads