Unsure About Tetra Problems

altwitch

Valued Member
Reaction score
Have 120g community tank planted with about 12 species. Have attempted to introduce Rummynose and Cardinals in the past and each time we've sadly lost them over 3 or so days. I'm confounded what could be causing the problems as water quality doesn't seem to be the issue based on testing and comms with my LFS. Figured stress/harassment by other dwellers could be the cause but haven't observed significantly aggressive behavior. I know Rummys can be a bit tough to keep happy but struggling to understand why my little guys are dying off. Have them in a Q tank right now and all is well with them and Kubatoi Rasboras for the longest time.

If anyone has thoughts or advice it's welcome. Cheers in advance.

ALT

Daisytattoo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If they do fine in QT but not in community, likely a fish in the community is killing them. Do they have torn fins when you find them?

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
First, let's hear some parameters on the big tank. Temperature, pH, hardness, and the actual numbers on ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. Then the hardness, pH, and temperature of your QT tank. Something is tremendously different between the two if you can get them through a quarantine period of a couple of weeks, only to have them die within 3 days of going into the other tank. But I know most of the people here are going to want to see numbers. My bet would be hardness, due to the big tank being planted. Some plants can suck up a lot of minerals from the water, and moving fish from hard water to softer water requires a slower acclimation process.

Then I'd want to see a list of species already in the big tank. It is very possible that someone in there doesn't want any new competition, or perhaps they are big enough that they see the newcomers as meals, not tankmates.

Basically, to be able to help, we need more information. We can't all come and visit your tank, so you have to give us something to work with!

altwitch

Valued Member
Reaction score
Q tank is planted as well - pretty much a microcosm of the larger tank. Tank parameters are similar between both - need to get a thermometer for the smaller one (rely on heater setting but not always accurate) but have both set to 76 within a few degrees. Also do regular water changes with dechlorinator.

Q tank is 7.2 ph, Ammonia at 0-.25 (suspect API pulls off target), nitrites 0 ppm, Nitrate about 5.0 ppm which should be good for a planted tank. Main tank is almost identical except for a 7.4 ph. Focused on water chemistry for months and not inclined to think that's the issue but valid to provide it for consideration.

Have not seen any bodily damage when I've extracted those that don't survive, though post mortem have encountered some extracts that have been pecked at which complicates evaluation.

Thanks to all for thoughts on this - very frustrating for me developing the community tank.

altwitch

Valued Member
Reaction score
That is logical as I see it. I had the same thought. I just don't have any evidence of it and haven't observed the behavior to date. Intend to try again starting a school but never wish to trigger fish deaths as a result.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your target temperature of 76 is too low for both Rummynose and especially for Cardinals. Both should be above 80. Heater markings are just so you can tell how much to move it to get the temperature that you want. They are never accurate for temperature, which is very dependent on the volume and flow in the tank. You may actually be several degrees warmer in the small tank.

I could be completely crazy and there is some other problem that cannot be identified on the information we have. And no way to know what other info to ask for, either. Good Luck!

bigdreams

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
How long is your quarantine period? You may want to consider longer QT like 2 or three months

altwitch

Valued Member
Reaction score
Temperature adjusted up a few degrees, thanks for that!

I usually QT for a week or two and tbh I don't always do it depending on where fish come from. Big Box like PETCO definitely; usually with an unproven shop I've not done business with. Sometimes cheat and don't QT if they're coming from LFS and been in stock long enough to show signs of distress as owner is known quantity and reputable.

The rummys have been in there over a month now, though I do add a few more here and there from different vendors in the hope of varying genetics a bit. Other than curiosity no reason driving me to move them other than curiosity if I've solved the problem or not so will take advice and give it another 30 days or so.

bigdreams

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Getting rummynose from different vendors only increases chance of disease. For example, I may have immunity to the local common cold but if I go to Australia, bam, I get a cold. (Or travellers diarrhea, lol). You are exposing fish to different set of germs. You would need longer QT period for that. For discus they say buy all your fish from one source... Dont mix Asian strains with German ones etc.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Getting rummynose from different vendors only increases chance of disease. For example, I may have immunity to the local common cold but if I go to Australia, bam, I get a cold. (Or travellers diarrhea, lol). You are exposing fish to different set of germs. You would need longer QT period for that. For discus they say buy all your fish from one source... Dont mix Asian strains with German ones etc.
It would be nice to see a pic of your big planted tank!

bigdreams

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
It would be nice to see a pic of your big planted tank!
Here's a pic of my tank during its "golden age"... (looking its best)... the stem plants grew like crazy, i ended up removing them,... i kinda regretted that about a year later...

here it is with a amazon sword "carpet"... they really just took over. insane....

My build threads are here.... they are a bit dated. I should update them now. Tank is about to hit its 4th birthday soon!!

Bigdream's Planted Tanks

bigdreams

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Here's the latest pic.. "pre-move"... tons of algae as I had basically neglected tank for about 4 months leading up to the move... I just moved and my tank is a blob of green at the moment. got tons of plants just floating... havent had time to scape.. or even do water change in over a month :/

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom