Unstable soil for 200gal tanks Help 

pepetj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi you all. I have enough room in the internal patio of my office to place some good sized tanks for my prehistoric fish (e.g. bichirs).

The problem is that the soil has about 2' depth of a gravel, sand, and soil mixture that was never compacted. When I place a chair on that surface I have to be careful I don't end up falling abruptly to the ground.

I would like to figure out a solution. If possible I would like to go with all glass tanks. Ways of compacting the soil in DIY manner is what I need to find out, or if there's a way around it through tank stand design I would like to know about it.

Pepetj
Santo Domingo

rileyrk190

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
hmm that's a toughie..Would you be able to lay a concrete slab?

pepetj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
rileyrk190 said:
hmm that's a toughie..Would you be able to lay a concrete slab?
whatever solves the problem. Question is how do I design it? What mixture of Portland cement, gravel. construction sand should I use? Is it a good idea to use a metallic grid inside it?I\

I may end up using a building block structure as tank stands...

Pepetj
Santo Domingo

rileyrk190

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I wish i knew more about that stuff. What if you pounded some rebar into the ground to help stabilize the slab then put the mesh in the frame and pour the cement over it? My dad and I poured a slab out back for a patio and ten years later it hasnt heaved or cracked, but that is the limit to my concrete experience.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads