Unstable Fish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by timbathy88, Jul 15, 2015.

1. timbathy88New MemberMember

A couple days ago, I noticed my fish swimming erratically. I then saw a cyst developing on the dorsal fin. Other symptoms include loss of appetite and apparent fin rot. Once I noticed the cyst or something, I moved the little guy to a quarantine tank. The other fish seem to be fine. What is this? Is it curable?

2. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

3. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Welcome to Fish Lore!!! I agree with the above. :)

4. OP
    OP
    t

timbathy88New MemberMember

I believe it's a tiger barb glofish modified. All other fish include 2 other tiger barbs, 1 danio, and some cleaners. I'm not sure of the water stats right now as I'm away from home.

IMAG2978.jpg

5. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

First off, tiger barbs need to be in schools of at least six, as do danios. It makes them less nippish, which means it's less likely for your fish to get badly nipped and develop fin rot.

Also, what kind of "cleaners" do you have? Pleco, cories, shrimp, ect.

It doesn't really look like a barb to me thought, looks more like a glofish tetra, imo.

What is your tank size and what test kit are you using?

6. thinkpink94

thinkpink94Valued MemberMember

I agree with BornThisWayBettas, that's definitely a tetra (as a side note, I believe the glofish tiger barbs only come in green at the moment). Does it look like the fish's scales are pinconing? I'm looking at the picture on my phone so it's not very clear

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. alink

alinkWell Known MemberMember

That is definitely a Tetra. As for the cyst, it appears to me to be a tumor. Some fish will live with this for years, others will perish rather quickly after it develops.

Of course, there is always the chance that I am wrong and its not a tumor.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice