UNS or ADA what's the better substrate?

Lunnietic

I haven't seen much information comparing these two substrates. Does anyone have experience with both? I will be having a carpeted nano aquarium.

Mudminnow

I have used both, and I like both. I think ADA Aquasoil encourages a little stronger growth, but it leaches some ammonia at first. So, you'll have to do more water changes for a bit right after your tank is set up with Aquasoil.

sairving

I've used UNS controsoil before. It will leach some ammonia but it was only around 1-2 ppm. My first planted tank was not very successful (lots of mistakes) so I can't comment on plant growth with the controsoil.

Lunnietic

I have used both, and I like both. I think ADA Aquasoil encourages a little stronger growth, but it leaches some ammonia at first. So, you'll have to do more water changes for a bit right after your tank is set up with Aquasoil.
Do you think this will still be an issue if I don't fully submerge and start with the "dry" method to carpet?

Mudminnow

Do you think this will still be an issue if I don't fully submerge and start with the "dry" method to carpet?
The dry start method with Aquasoil can work well. I've done that too. I still had to do a few big water changes once the tank was filled for the first time.

Personally I only think the dry start method is worth it if you're creating something like an Iwagumi style tank with only ground cover plants. Otherwise, I think the easiest way to cycle a planted tank is without plants or fish. Aquasoil can help some with this as you'll need to add ammonia anyway. After the tank is cycled, turn on the lights, add plants, and start adding fishes--easy.

Lunnietic

The dry start method with Aquasoil can work well. I've done that too. I still had to do a few big water changes once the tank was filled for the first time.

Personally I only think the dry start method is worth it if you're creating something like an Iwagumi style tank with only ground cover plants. Otherwise, I think the easiest way to cycle a planted tank is without plants or fish. Aquasoil can help some with this as you'll need to add ammonia anyway. After the tank is cycled, turn on the lights, add plants, and start adding fishes--easy.
I want to do a fully planted bottom to make it look like a meadow.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Cody
Replies
Views
Nickguy5467
Replies
Views
sairving
Replies
Views