Unrooted Microswords

1. Nicoldeme Member Member

So quite a while back, at least 3 months, I bought microswords. They were some of my first live plants, so I'm pretty sure I was horrific to them in the beginning. I bought two bunches, and now there's just one relatively thin one, and I just wanted to know whether they could grow floating? They're really just a jumbled mess so I have no idea were the roots are going to come from, should I just lightly push them into the gravel? RIght now, they're in a 2.5 with my betta. I put a half or so dose of API Leaf Zone once every week or two. I don't really have a schedule, sorry :)

2. Skyy2112 Member Member

Does your Leaf Zone contain CO2 (carbon dioxide), nitrates, iron, and basic macro/micro organisms?

These are what plants need to grow.

Nitrates are fish waste turned into food for plants by the nitrogen cycle,

CO2 is more plant food,

Iron, micro/macro organisms are all needed elements/compounds for plant growth.

There are almost no ferts that do all, however, depending on light, it can very well grow. I wish you luck.

PS yes root plants can grow out of the substrate, (if you used regular gravel is didnt really make a change) special substrates contain nutrients, or dirt.

3. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

The microsword needs to be planted.

It's possible your lighting isn't enough.

4. Nicoldeme Member Member

I should've thought more about it before I bought them... but we've all done impulsive shopping before, right? ???

5. Skyy2112 Member Member

Impulse? NO! I NEED TWO OSCARS IN A BOWL.

6. Nicoldeme Member Member

Oh gosh :p Us seeing a fish we like, knowing we should do research first, but they just make us love them like: :;jaws