Unresponsive Betta! Urgent!

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by bio-tech1, Apr 19, 2018.

1. b

bio-tech1 Valued Member Member

I bought a better fish today. I have 9 other betas so i am aquatinted with them and their care. I added him to a 6 gallon tank all on his own. I have never had a problem with any of betas and adding them to their tanks. But this betas was from a store i have never bought from before. What is concerning is that ever since i put him in the tank he is up at the surface. at first he was breathing heavily but then stopped shortly. Now he is just unresponsive. I went in a few mins ago to check up on him and he was at the bottom not moving. fearing he was dead i moved him with a net and he swam to the surface and then went unresponsive again. to the point i can hold him in my hand for a few seconds before he response and swims away. I am very concered. Now here is what i did different to what i have done with all my other betas. before putting him in my tank i acclimated him and put him in a seperate small container for 15 mins with "Kordon Fish Prep Natural Preventative Fish Bath" since i have never bought from this LFS i wanted to be safe and had just gotten this stuff on sale. He was fine and swimming around in it and very alert. Then i put him in the tank and everything went down hill. For his tank i tried something different as well. I used tap water and tried "Fluval Aqua Plus Water conditioner" about 5ml for my 6 gallons. As soon as he hit the water he went into what i talked about above. IDK what to do and am very concerned about him. could it be a response to those new chemicals that i have never tried before? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also, I added the same water conditioner to my 15 gallon tank that has 2 small goldfish and a better fry (not aggressive at all) as i decided to do a water change while setting up the betas tank and they are doing absolutely fine, not response to the chemicals at all.

I also added gravel to the tank. just some pea pebbles from home depot. i washed them for over an hour. saw on another thread that it was safe to use and many had success with it.

2. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

Can i see a photo of the betta when at the top, could be swim bladder issues. Can you also test your water? Did you cycle this tank before getting him? I also have 10bettas, you learn a lot with many of the same fish.

3. GrayGray4231

GrayGray4231 Well Known Member Member

Don't keep the goldies, re-home them........

4. OP
    OP
    b

May i ask why? If it is due to their size, i am prepared for that. I currently have them in a 15 gallon, but they are only the size of my pinky finger. As they grow i plan on uping their tank size. They are the most abused fish in the hobby and i want to give these two a good life.

I will try and get that photo soon. i am unable to test the water currently as i don't have access to the things needed, but if he makes it through the night i will be getting it in the morning.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2018
  5. GrayGray4231

Because two is two too many for that small of a tank, they can grow over a foot long.

Unless you can get them a pond, the minimum tank size for them is 100......per fish.

6. Iridium_2256

Iridium_2256 Valued Member Member

Your taking the topic off task here mate, I think he understands he will need a larger tank or a pond to house them properly

What he really needs is advice for his sick betta fish. Im not too well versed with bettas, but this at first glance sounds like something with the preventative treatment thing. Were you supposed to add the stuff into the tank and slowly phase it out with water changes? You may have just shocked him

7. Abby565

Abby565 Valued Member Member

It sounds like he is in shock from the chemicals maybe? Or he might have come sick from the store.

I have no idea what the Fish bath thing is for? I wouldn't use it again

8. OP
    OP
    b

Unfortunately the betta has passed.

I do not know. The directions are very vague and do not mention anything about timing for when to add the fish. I waited over an hour just to be safe. but unfortunately the betta passed.

9. GrayGray4231

OH NO!!!!!!!!

10. OP
    OP
    b

thats perfectly ok. It is a good thing that you are worried about their well being. I already knew that they needed that kind of space and hope to get them into a pond when they are bigger. but if i had not known that info it would have been nice that you had informed me. Just next time try and approach the person in a little bit nicer of a way. A little less of an attack, a little more of a nicely informing the person. they are more likely to learn that way than go into defense.

11. Iridium_2256

Iridium_2256 Valued Member Member

Oh darn, im sorry mate :(

12. GrayGray4231

Ok, well.....what size tank are you planning on getting??

13. OP
    OP
    b

I am currently saving up for a 65 gallon as a better grow out tank for a little while (after they grow a little i will be transferring some of my other fish in, so the tank is not a waste of money), and then i will be moving and will either build a pond or will get an above land pond for them and a few other fish.

A 100 gallon tank is really only needed for single tail goldfish like comet, wakin, and shubunkin. My fish are fancy goldfish (double tail) and are not going to get as big as them. single tail can get over double the size of a double tail.

14. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

hmm, wonder what it was. Sorry to hear that

15. Bettafishies126

Bettafishies126 Valued Member Member

I'm sorry about your betta :( losing fish is so hard sometimes especially when you feel helpless while wanting to save them. I'm so very sorry for your loss, at least in the end this fish received your love and somebody who cared for its well-being.

16. Kamaile

Kamaile Valued Member Member

No, the minimum would be about 30 gallons for the first and then 10 or 20 for each additional fish.

It sounds to me like a problem with chemicals, but I don't know if it's the chemicals you used as a bath.

Had you used any new chemicals for the tank you put the betta in? I heard of that type of behavior when someone washed their gravel with soap...

17. luckdown

luckdown Well Known Member Member

When you took the betta out of the bath did you acclimate it again? If not that could of been the problem.

From the sound of things and how quickly it passed i believe it was some sort of shock or poisoning from the water. (Sadly just lost 2 of my bettas from chlorine poisoning and it sounds similar to what happened with them)

18. Kamaile

Bettas are very hardy fish and have evolved to handle the shock and discomfort of new water sources. Unless there was a HUGE temperature difference, I can't see that sort of shock killing a betta. I feel like it must have been some type of chemical problem.

19. luckdown

luckdown Well Known Member Member

I was thinking more along the lines of the water having chemicals to suddenly not having the chemicals might of been a problem. But good to know!

20. Kamaile

That's true, going from heavy chemical to clean water could be pretty shocking. I'm not sure if that would have done it for a betta, though, because they're pretty tolerant of chemical changes (though I don't know about anything other than pH and waste related chemicals).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice