Unreal Growth Water Sprite

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by SmallFishGuy, May 24, 2018.

1. SmallFishGuy

SmallFishGuyValued MemberMember

So I posted on here last Friday (6 days ago) about getting excited about new plants, now that they have had time to settle etc I genuinely can’t believe how fast wisteria grows, I brought some root tabs from eBay and no C02, no special lights just an Led strip light, this plant is possibly my favourite yet!

Attached Files:

2. Demeter

DemeterFishlore VIPMember

Not to burst your bubble, but that looks more like water sprite, which is also a fast grower. Wisteria is more of a stem plant while water sprite is fern-like. Fronds will grow from the center of the plant in water sprite while wisteria grows straight up as a single stem or it will branch off from the main stem at the nodes of leafs. If you try cutting off a stem from water sprite and planting it, it will die. Taking a cutting from wisteria will result in a new healthy plant. Although, both plants will grow new plantlets from the grooves in old leafs, making them super easy to propagate.

Either way, give it another month and I bet the plant will over run the tank ;)

3. OP
    OP
    SmallFishGuy

SmallFishGuyValued MemberMember

Looking at my receipt from proshrimp it is water sprite! My bad! Haha, so I can’t cut the tops and regrow it?

4. bitseriously

bitseriouslyWell Known MemberMember

My water sprite constantly produces shoots and rootlets about 2/3 of the way along the fronds, as they age (so not on newly-grown fronds, but a few weeks after they reach full growth). You can let them grow a bit on those stems (mine reach a couple inches of root growth very quickly), then cut above and below where the new plant is forming, and plant that. I'll check my tank for examples tonight, see if I can add pics and clarify it a bit.

5. SegiDream

SegiDreamWell Known MemberMember

lol enjoy. It is a decent plant. Shrimp and fry appreciate it. It grows fast but not that fast that you can't keep u with it. And it helps with the water parameters. I only float it and toss some of it out during water changes.

6. bitseriously

bitseriouslyWell Known MemberMember

Pics, as promised.
    5E452041-ED87-41FC-95CF-7846A4951857.jpeg
    Green is the original stem. Red is where the next image is:
    0CBAAB2F-ED98-43F7-85DB-42CD2280AA2B.jpeg
    Here, green is the “new” shoots, stems above root below, and red is where is cut to plant new.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice