Unreal Growth Water Sprite

1. SmallFishGuy

SmallFishGuy Valued Member Member

So I posted on here last Friday (6 days ago) about getting excited about new plants, now that they have had time to settle etc I genuinely can’t believe how fast wisteria grows, I brought some root tabs from eBay and no C02, no special lights just an Led strip light, this plant is possibly my favourite yet!

Attached Files:

2. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

Not to burst your bubble, but that looks more like water sprite, which is also a fast grower. Wisteria is more of a stem plant while water sprite is fern-like. Fronds will grow from the center of the plant in water sprite while wisteria grows straight up as a single stem or it will branch off from the main stem at the nodes of leafs. If you try cutting off a stem from water sprite and planting it, it will die. Taking a cutting from wisteria will result in a new healthy plant. Although, both plants will grow new plantlets from the grooves in old leafs, making them super easy to propagate.

Either way, give it another month and I bet the plant will over run the tank ;)

3. OP
    OP
    SmallFishGuy

SmallFishGuy Valued Member Member

Looking at my receipt from proshrimp it is water sprite! My bad! Haha, so I can’t cut the tops and regrow it?

4. bitseriously

bitseriously Well Known Member Member

My water sprite constantly produces shoots and rootlets about 2/3 of the way along the fronds, as they age (so not on newly-grown fronds, but a few weeks after they reach full growth). You can let them grow a bit on those stems (mine reach a couple inches of root growth very quickly), then cut above and below where the new plant is forming, and plant that. I'll check my tank for examples tonight, see if I can add pics and clarify it a bit.

5. SegiDream

SegiDream Well Known Member Member

lol enjoy. It is a decent plant. Shrimp and fry appreciate it. It grows fast but not that fast that you can't keep u with it. And it helps with the water parameters. I only float it and toss some of it out during water changes.

6. bitseriously

bitseriously Well Known Member Member

Pics, as promised.
    5E452041-ED87-41FC-95CF-7846A4951857.jpeg
    Green is the original stem. Red is where the next image is:
    0CBAAB2F-ED98-43F7-85DB-42CD2280AA2B.jpeg
    Here, green is the “new” shoots, stems above root below, and red is where is cut to plant new.