Unpopular opinions? - Page 9

AcornTheBetta

Plecos are the best fish! and people who think they are ugly are crazy!

Cherryshrimp420

AcornTheBetta said:
Where is the dislike button??? They are uglyyyy

Mii

Honey Gouramis are the best fish they just are that is a fact not an opinion

AcornTheBetta

Cherryshrimp420 said:
Fake news! They are just the cutest little buggers!

Mii

Cherryshrimp420 said:
I'm with AcornTheBetta on this one. plecos are so cute

Mii said:
I'm with AcornTheBetta on this one. plecos are so cute
honey gouramis are still the best tho

Cherryshrimp420

mattgirl said:
This one reminds me of an opinion on another thread. It was not believing bristle nose plecos occasionally sleep flat on their back. That opinion was debunked the day the poster snapped a photo of their BN pleco sleeping flat on its back. The first time I saw Elbert doing it I thought he had died. Thankfully he was just sleeping.

I guess I am naive but I have to wonder why folks would say they do if they don't.

On another subject concerning long finned fish. The only ones I have are long finned Black Skirts. Thankfully the fins aren't excessively long but long enough to keep them from looking as stubby and those with shorter fins. In this one case I will choose the long finned variety every time. The longer fins don't seem to affect them at all. Watching a shoal of them swimming together just looks so graceful. They don't struggle at all.

I do agree the fins on some fish are excessive and look unnatural. I can see where the weight of the fins could affect the fish trying to swim with them. Some of them are so long and heavy the fish will actually bite the excess length off.
Well first off, water change is a skill! A lot of veteran hobbyists don't realize it, but it is a skill that you learn and get better at! Everything from shaking the bottle, to adding the right amounts, to mixing it with the water, to letting the temperatures adjust....and then don't even get me started on the siphoning process

If I tell my parents to change the water, they will literally take a bucket, scope out some tank water, refill it with ice-cold tap water + some random amount of dechlorinator and dump it back in the tank. To them, that's a perfect water change.

On this forum I see a lot of fish emergency forms where they say they substrate vacuum every week, but their tank has fine sand....Or where they say they do 50% water change every week on a lowly stocked tank, but somehow their tank has ammonia.... Hmmm just very suspicious hahaha

V1K

AcornTheBetta said:
PLECOS ARE THE BEST FISH!!! AND PEOPLE WHO THINK THEY ARE UGLY ARE CRAZY!
Cherryshrimp420 said:
They are ugly and that's what makes them so beautiful!

As for long fins, I've got longfin rosy barbs, because I think they're more beautiful than common ones. The common ones look too simple for my taste. I think their fins are of perfect length, not hindering movement, yet elegant. However, giving long fins to notorious fin-nippers definitely backfires... All the males already had some missing pieces in their tails when I got them - I thought they'll grow back, but it's nearly a month and they haven't changed a bit, so probably not. Fortunately I don't see any new trauma on them, despite constant squabbles. Females constantly get their tails split by males chasing them, but the splits heal fast, unlike missing pieces. So it's kind of a paradox that my females are kind of better looking than the males.

Kribensis27

AcornTheBetta said:
I wouldn’t say they’re the best fish, but whoever says they’re ugly IS, in fact, crazy.

Mii

Cherryshrimp420 said:
Well first off, water change is a skill! A lot of veteran hobbyists don't realize it, but it is a skill that you learn and get better at! Everything from shaking the bottle, to adding the right amounts, to mixing it with the water, to letting the temperatures adjust....and then don't even get me started on the siphoning process

If I tell my parents to change the water, they will literally take a bucket, scope out some tank water, refill it with ice-cold tap water + some random amount of dechlorinator and dump it back in the tank. To them, that's a perfect water change.

On this forum I see a lot of fish emergency forms where they say they substrate vacuum every week, but their tank has fine sand....Or where they say they do 50% water change every week on a lowly stocked tank, but somehow their tank has ammonia.... Hmmm just very suspicious hahaha
wait you're not supposed to vacuum sand? hasn't caused any problems for me.

V1K

Cherryshrimp420 said:
Well first off, water change is a skill! A lot of veteran hobbyists don't realize it, but it is a skill that you learn and get better at!
I'm yet to learn to change water without uprooting some plants. They're easy to uproot, because they are not yet established, and they aren't yet established because I keep uprooting them . Just now I wanted to rinse a filter sponge and uprooted a Limnophila, which actually had rather big roots, so not sure why it even happen, but surely now its development will get delayed again, and most of the roots will melt back because I couldn't bury them properly.

mattgirl

Cherryshrimp420 said:
I agree. It takes practice but is really a simple process once we get it right.

It is probably best not to let them change the water

All we can do in these cases is the best we can to help educate them. It does take practice to get it down pat. I am a trusting person and usually take folks at their word until I am proven wrong. Sand can be vacuumed but like you said about water changes, it is an art. You don't want to get the tube too close to the sand.

Cherryshrimp420

Mii said:
wait you're not supposed to vacuum sand? hasn't caused any problems for me.
It's jsut hard to gravel vacuum without sucking up fine sand particles

V1K said:
I'm yet to learn to change water without uprooting some plants. They're easy to uproot, because they are not yet established, and they aren't yet established because I keep uprooting them . Just now I wanted to rinse a filter sponge and uprooted a Limnophila, which actually had rather big roots, so not sure why it even happen, but surely now its development will get delayed again, and most of the roots will melt back because I couldn't bury them properly.
How deep is your substrate? I had uprooting problems when the substrate wasn't deep enough

YellowGuppy

Mutt guppies are the best guppies! I don't need your $70 trio of inbred, ultra recessive, dumbo tuxedo dragon cobra monkey platinum fish. I want a blue one and a yellow one and I want to see the babies they make!

V1K

Cherryshrimp420 said:
How deep is your substrate? I had uprooting problems when the substrate wasn't deep enough
Around 5 cm/ 2 in. When I bought a tank, I just asked the sellers to give me as much gravel as I need for the tank, and that's what they gave me.

Cherryshrimp420

V1K said:
Around 5 cm/ 2 in. When I bought a tank, I just asked the sellers to give me as much gravel as I need for the tank, and that's what they gave me.
Hmm I would add a bit more. I have 4 inches in the shallowest part of my aquarium and even then I find it hard to plant at those spots. I would check out some gardening stores and see if they have cheap gravel. Aquarium gravel are all so expensive

John58ford

V1K said:
I don't know what the tools name is but it looks like a straightened gardening hoe. I use that to press down the roots of my plants while dumping "tumbled" sand on them out of the siphon. If you aren't actually lifting and tumbling substrate and still pulling plants though, I got nothin lol.

Perfect practice makes perfect. Maybe if your tools aren't working for you, try something different.

V1K

John58ford said:
I don't know what the tools name is but it looks like a straightened gardening hoe. I use that to press down the roots of my plants while dumping "tumbled" sand on them out of the siphon. If you aren't actually lifting and tumbling substrate and still pulling plants though, I got nothin lol.
I have way too much hardscape to do proper gravel vac. It also complicates adding more substrate, although I could at least dump some on more exposed areas, which are the ones where the plants get uprooted the most anyway. I guess I prioritized aesthetics and the comfort for my fish (I have hillstream loaches who really appreciate all the solid surfaces to graze on) over convenience. I simply try to vacuum some debris straight from the plants, but some get dislodged. I think I should stop doing that. Or even more often I don't even intend to touch the plant, but I do by accident and it goes for a swim.

jake37

If you consider $30 expensive.

Hugooo said:
Aren't those the ones that are crazy expensive ?

Lakefish

My unpopular opinion is that far too few people (at least in North America) give any consideration to the environmental consequences of their actions. E.g. adding chemicals and medications all the time (where is your wastewater going? Is it getting treated sufficiently to remove your additives before discharge?), throwing things out instead of cleaning them (several hundred years of decomposition vs. a few minutes of scrubbing) etc.
I could go on a big rant, but I will refrain
Also, I too think rainbow fish are ugly. They look upside down to me. Flip them over and they might look okay.

Dippiedee

Lakefish said:
My unpopular opinion is that far too few people (at least in North America) give any consideration to the environmental consequences of their actions.
That's not just within the hobby it's an issue in all areas

YellowGuppy

Lakefish said:
Also, I too think rainbow fish are ugly. They look upside down to me. Flip them over and they might look okay.
Nope. Definitely not better. That just makes it look dead.

Mii

this doesn't look better at all, it just looks like an upside-down rainbowfish.

Lakefish

Mii said:
Nah, the shape of the head looks way better! Lol. And the balance/symmetry of the fins. IMO.

kanzekatores

When I saw the flipped rainbowfish I actually thought it looked way better lol

Kribensis27

Honestly, yeah. I like the flipped rainbows better than the real ones.

Pfrozen

YellowGuppy said:
Since starting the hobby fifteen months ago, I have spent a grand total of $389 on my aquarium and it's contents, accessories, plants, fish, etc.

In that time, I've been paid $1387 for things that have come out of my aquarium.

A $5 portion of flame moss became nearly $300 in sales. I've made $142 selling snails, which I have spent literally $2 on (and half of those I dumped into the tank at my work, so really it's more like $1!). A dude sold me a cluster of java fern leaves instead of an actual java fern ($7.50 expense) so I sold individual plantlets when they sprouted—that's gotten me a little more than $150 at a price of $1/plantlet, plus now I have a dozen bigger ones that I've kept.

We're in a hobby where things GROW. And new people enter the hobby every day, and want to buy some of the things that they can grow. It's basically farming—if it isn't making you money, you probably either aren't trying, or you're doing something wrong.
I spent 2 grand or so and have made 0 dollars so far.. am I doing it right? Worst part is that my intention was to make money! How did you get everything perfect first try? I've been through several different brands and types of filters because I found that some work better than others, different lights and equipment for my plants, different fertilizers, etc etc etc. You're lucky that buying one set of items worked out

Mii

Lakefish said:
Nah, the shape of the head looks way better! Lol. And the balance/symmetry of the fins. IMO.
it's the same shape! Just inverted. If you like upside down rainbowfish you HAVE to like regular rainbowfish too.

Kribensis27

Mii said:
it's the same shape! Just inverted. If you like upside down rainbowfish you HAVE to like regular rainbowfish too.
Not true! It just has a cooler look with the mouth lower down.

mimo91088

Mii said:
All of them look like they were caught in a ditch in Chernobyl.

Kribensis27

It adds to the charm

Mii

Kribensis27 said:
It adds to the charm
No it doesn't it just looks upside-down!!!

jake37

Mii

jake37 said:
Arrggggg. Just get some real fishes - you know like guppies or swordtails.
rainbowfish ars real fish! That's why they're called rainbowFISH. And they're beautiful and always swim uo to greet you when you come near the tank and I want them.

Kribensis27

Mii said:
No it doesn’t it just looks upside down!!!
ITS A LOOK STOP FISH SHAMING

Mii

Kribensis27 said:
ITS A LOOK STOP FISH SHAMING
I'M NOT FISH SHAMING I'M SAYING THAT RAINBOWFISH LOOK GOOD RIGHT-SIDE-UP SO WE DON'T NEED TO FLIP THEM OVER

Kribensis27

ITS 2020 THEY CAN BE WHO THEY WANT TO BE
Mii said:
I'M NOT FISH SHAMING I'M SAYING THAT RAINBOWFISH LOOK GOOD RIGHT-SIDE-UP SO WE DON'T NEED TO FLIP THEM OVER

NevermindIgnoreMe

Lol.

Also bn plecos=starnosed moles=not pretty. I won't say ugly, but, they are not appealing.
Also, has anyone ever heard of a (get ready for obscure goldfish breed trivia)....a froghead goldfish? I can say those are ugly. Stop arguing about plecos, if I find someone who likes a froghead...They are probably lying or way to nice.

Now, gimme some butterfly telescopes, ranchu, veitail, tosakin (man I need to find some and breed those...adults are 200$ a piece!!)....now we're talking! Oh man do I love me some goldfish!

Lakefish

Mii said:
No it doesn’t it just looks upside down!!,
I am laughing so hard right now, I'm almost crying...thanks for that. All the more so because others think the same as I do.

jake37

Sigh. No shouting allowed. Please go sit in your corner until you can learn to stop shouting.

Mii

jake37 said:
Sigh. No shouting allowed. Please go sit in your corner until you can learn to stop shouting.
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Rockymountainstream

Cherryshrimp420 said:

You are correct. However you forgot to add testing the water

Cherryshrimp420

Rainbow fish doesn't have enough rainbow IMO

AggressiveAquatics

Well it needed to be said ......

plecos look kinda weird and I don’t like the way they look
Edit before you guys keep giving me sad faces I said something else a few posts down

aussieJJDude

NevermindIgnoreMe said:
Lol.

Also bn plecos=starnosed moles=not pretty. I won't say ugly, but, they are not appealing.
Also, has anyone ever heard of a (get ready for obscure goldfish breed trivia)....a froghead goldfish? I can say those are ugly. Stop arguing about plecos, if I find someone who likes a froghead...They are probably lying or way to nice.

Now, gimme some butterfly telescopes, ranchu, veitail, tosakin (man I need to find some and breed those...adults are 200$ a piece!!)....now we're talking! Oh man do I love me some goldfish!
Honestly, I don't mind the frog head. I kinda prefer them over bubbleeyes and celestial, celestials in particular!

My unpopular opinion, many people struggle to understand that you don't require a filter to have an interesting and healthy aquarium.

AcornTheBetta

AggressiveAquatics said:

Booooooooooo!

Mii

I just looked up celestial goldfish. Why would anyone breed for a trait like that?!?!
poor goldies can they even See?

jake37

Then stop buying them.

AggressiveAquatics said:

Well this depends upon ones defn of a filter. If you have conventional tail oriented aquatic life with gills that is producing lots of ammonia but finds ammonia deadly then you do in fact have to 'filter' the ammonia they produce and therefore you must have some sort of filtration whether it be conventional or unconventional. Having said that you did leave open as to what you are considering interesting, healthy and an aquarium. So the statement as phrased might be correct the more unconventional portion of your statement might rest in the glass cage filled with water and fish eating bacteria in which you are periodically feeding the bacteria with the corpses of fishes.

aussieJJDude said:
My unpopular opinion, many people struggle to understand that you don't require a filter to have an interesting and healthy aquarium.

Potato1

The minimum tank size for a betta should be 4-5 gallons not 2.5. Its just to small especially as they grow into adults over time.

jake37

Betta are not real fishes. They are evil reincarnated designed to suck the good will of pray who finds them adorable.

Potato1

jake37 said:
Betta are not real fishes. They are evil reincarnated designed to suck the good will of pray who finds them adorable.
You know what, as a betta owner, I agree with that.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom