Unpopular opinions? - Page 8

mimo91088

redmare said:
I was 7 when I saw episode 1- I loved jar jar binks. I was the perfect demographic for him! Can't stand him now though. I also had a big time 7-year-old crush on qui gon jinn, I drew a poster of him and put it on my door. I saw episodes 2 and 3 later, but only once and didn't really care for them. I liked kid anakin.
How you gonna have a crush on qui gon and just go ignore Ewan Mcgregor as General Kenobi?! I mean come on.

Dippiedee

redmare said:
I was 7 when I saw episode 1- I loved jar jar binks. I was the perfect demographic for him! Can't stand him now though. I also had a big time 7-year-old crush on qui gon jinn, I drew a poster of him and put it on my door. I saw episodes 2 and 3 later, but only once and didn't really care for them. I liked kid anakin.
Oh god that's hilarious because 9 year old me had a crush on Anakin in episode 2

redmare

mimo91088 said:
How you gonna have a crush on qui gon and just go ignore Ewan Mcgregor as General Kenobi?! I mean come on.
I know!! 7 year old me really missed out

A201

I remember way back in the day, when about the only fish choices at the neighborhood LFS's were Tiger Barbs, Neon Tetras, Guppies, Molly & Swordtails, Angelfish, Siamese Fighting fish, Cory Cats, and of course the bland white Kissing Gourami.
Gourami breeders have come a long way regarding color enhancement & compact dwarf varieties. The unattractive traits the breeders haven't conquered so far is the Gouramis overwhelming ability to produce excessive waste and to eliminate the boring gene. Lol.
IMO, The Gourami falls into the "Poor mans Discus" category. Lol.
No offense Gourami keepers, my comment is all in fun.

erinw347

A201 said:
I remember way back in the day, when about the only fish choices at the neighborhood LFS's were Tiger Barbs, Neon Tetras, Guppies, Molly & Swordtails, Angelfish, Siamese Fighting fish, Cory Cats, and of course the bland white Kissing Gourami.
Gourami breeders have come a long way regarding color enhancement & compact dwarf varieties. The unattractive traits the breeders haven't conquered so far is the Gouramis overwhelming ability to produce excessive waste and to eliminate the boring gene. Lol.
I feel like it may not be my place to say, but I agree tbh. I’ve only kept one DG and he went back to the store after one week, because he killed my guppies . I know DG are misunderstood and I respect the animal, but I just have a hard time appreciating DG and gouramis in general after that experience.
Overall I think gouramis are very beautiful and amazing fish, but they’re just not for me at this point in time.

AggressiveAquatics

Well I had a gourami once and in never getting one again. He wasn’t a bully or anything but he was so boring to watch he literally just sat there

FinalFins

A201 said:
I personally love gourami, and they are a 'poor mans discus' for sure. One of the species I keep, (eyespot gourami) are the most boring fish you will ever see. They only hide, and have no color at all. But the beauty in them is simply how simple they are beauty doesn't need to be flashy, and personally I think the bland gourami are prettier than the flashy ones at the store.

Pfrozen

Otos are the hardiest fish I've ever owned hands down

RomanNoodles96

Guppies aren't hardy anymore and are very sensitive to just about anything.

BigBeardDaHuZi

I think Goldfish are dumb. Maybe they aren't actually stupid, but they seem like the fish version of the pug. Which also seems dumb, like you can see the individual thoughts slowly crossing over their face only to quickly be forgotten. And a lot of the variations outside of the comet are on the cruel side. Also like the pug.

Not all of the strains of goldfish are cruel, but a lot of the strains have purposefully crippled the fish, to the point where they can not survive outside of highly artificial conditions. I am just not a fan.
Of pugs either.

AcornTheBetta

BigBeardDaHuZi said:
Goldfish are dumb. Maybe they aren't actually stupid, but they seem like the fish version of the pug. Which also seems dumb, like you can see the individual thoughts slowly crossing over their face only to quickly be forgotten. And a lot of the variations outside of the comet are on the cruel side. Also like the pug.

Not all of the strains of goldfish are cruel, but a lot of the strains have purposefully crippled the fish, to the point where they can not survive outside of highly artificial conditions. I am just not a fan.
Of pugs either.
Really? I love ranchus!

MacZ

Pfrozen said:
Otos are the hardiest fish I've ever owned hands down
You were just lucky and got a good batch or tankbred. Those fish traumatised dozens of members here on the forum with being finicky and dyeing just when being looked at funny.

Or your comparing with big box store gbr, guppies and bettas, then Otos suddenly seem hardy.

Mii

Honestly literally every other fish I've owned has been more problematic than otos, and it's not like I keep supposedly super delicate fish mine are supposedly quite hardy. Of course I'd better not keep talking about how hardy otos are or I'll jinx myself and they're all die. Hopefully not.

Pfrozen

MacZ said:
You were just lucky and got a good batch or tankbred. Those fish traumatised dozens of members here on the forum with being finicky and dyeing just when being looked at funny.

Or your comparing with big box store gbr, guppies and bettas, then Otos suddenly seem hardy.
Lol that's why it's an unpopular opinion. I'm comparing them to harlequins, pencilfish, shrimp of various types, and a bristlenose. So far the otos win hands down. None of the wacky stuff I did to my tank ever bothered them in the slightest

MacZ

Pfrozen said:
Lol that's why it's an unpopular opinion. I'm comparing them to harlequins, pencilfish, shrimp of various types, and a bristlenose. So far the otos win hands down. None of the wacky stuff I did to my tank ever bothered them in the slightest
Hm. Wouldn't say it's an unpopular opinion, just a rare exception of a sad rule. Make sure beginners don't take your word and end up with a bunch of dead otos, allright?

Pfrozen

MacZ said:
Hm. Wouldn't say it's an unpopular opinion, just a rare exception of a sad rule. Make sure beginners don't take your word and end up with a bunch of dead otos, allright?
Dont worry, I constantly make it clear that nothing in my tank makes any sense. I would never actually suggest to anyone that otos are hardy

erinw347

I dont think angelfish are jerks. Lol

Dippiedee

My latest unpopular opinion is that it is never too early for Christmas lol

MacZ

86 ssinit said:
Will Ferrells best movie was Stranger than Fiction!
Will Ferrell's best work in general is cowbell-related.

Cooperman411

Mii said:
Honestly literally every other fish I've owned has been more problematic than otos, and it's not like I keep supposedly super delicate fish mine are supposedly quite hardy. Of course I'd better not keep talking about how hardy otos are or I'll jinx myself and they're all die. Hopefully not.
I gave my 2 Otos to a friend who has a school of them in a big tank - assumed they'd be "happier". BUT - when I had them, I was freaked that they weren't eating enough so I ground algae wafers to powder and then dropped the powder under the filter flow so it would be distributed throughout the tank. Not sure if it did anything. I also added a tablespoon or so of Tetra Safestart Plus at every water change. It would put a thick biofilm on everything within 24 hours so I knew they were at least eating that off the glass. I finally saw them pooping and with rounded tummies so I decided to just ignore them they way they ignored every slice of zucchini or any other food I ever put in the tank. They were just fine. Advice on this and other sites prompted me to give them away. Now I wish I'd kept them!

Betta'sAnonymous

Dippiedee said:
My latest unpopular opinion is that it is never too early for Christmas lol
Yep, we already have our tree and most of our decorations up. Even have most of the gifts bought too! And wearing this shirt

mimo91088

This might be an unpopular one. But dear gods, rainbow fish are probably the ugliest fish I've ever seen. How anyone finds them appealing is completely beyond me. No offense if some of you keep them. I respect your choices, but I will never understand why you chose them.

AcornTheBetta

mimo91088 said:
This might be an unpopular one. But dear gods, rainbow fish are probably the ugliest fish I've ever seen. How anyone finds them appealing is completely beyond me. No offense if some of you keep them. I respect your choices, but I will never understand why you chose them.
Paradise fish are terrible looking.

mimo91088

AcornTheBetta

mimo91088 said:
Agreed. But I'd still keep them before I ever bought a rainbow fish.
Really? I would rather have a rainbow fish.

mimo91088

AcornTheBetta said:
Really? I would rather have a rainbow fish.
We all gotta march to the beat of our own drum! Lol

AcornTheBetta

mimo91088 said:
We all gotta march to the beat of our own drum! Lol
Lol

Betta'sAnonymous

mimo91088 said:
Hey, us ugly folk(and fish)need lovins' too!!

Mii

mimo91088 personally I like them. Why do you think they're ugly? What's ugly about them?
AcornTheBetta same goes for you and paradise fish. Why do you think they're ugly?

mimo91088

Mii said:
mimo91088 personally I like them. Why do you think they're ugly? What's ugly about them?
AcornTheBetta same goes for you and paradise fish. Why do you think they're ugly?
They have stupid faces. And literally any positive thing I can name about a rainbow, another fish does better. I always hear "Oh, but they're so colorful! You don't get colors like this outside saltwater! ". And im just like "Bruh, ever seen a guppy? Get that rainbow trash out my face".

AcornTheBetta

Mii said:
Their shape, trailers and fins just weird me out

YellowGuppy

Operating an aquarium is a good financial decision.

Yeah, I said it.

Mii

YellowGuppy said:
Operating an aquarium is a good financial decision.

Yeah, I said it.
How? How can I make money from my fish tanks?

YellowGuppy

Mii said:
How? How can I make money from my fish tanks?
Since starting the hobby fifteen months ago, I have spent a grand total of $389 on my aquarium and it's contents, accessories, plants, fish, etc.

In that time, I've been paid $1387 for things that have come out of my aquarium.

A $5 portion of flame moss became nearly $300 in sales. I've made $142 selling snails, which I have spent literally $2 on (and half of those I dumped into the tank at my work, so really it's more like $1!). A dude sold me a cluster of java fern leaves instead of an actual java fern ($7.50 expense) so I sold individual plantlets when they sprouted—that's gotten me a little more than $150 at a price of $1/plantlet, plus now I have a dozen bigger ones that I've kept.

We're in a hobby where things GROW. And new people enter the hobby every day, and want to buy some of the things that they can grow. It's basically farming—if it isn't making you money, you probably either aren't trying, or you're doing something wrong.

AcornTheBetta

YellowGuppy said:
Since starting the hobby fifteen months ago, I have spent a grand total of $389 on my aquarium and it's contents, accessories, plants, fish, etc.

In that time, I've been paid $1387 for things that have come out of my aquarium.

A $5 portion of flame moss became nearly $300 in sales. I've made $142 selling snails, which I have spent literally $2 on (and half of those I dumped into the tank at my work, so really it's more like $1!). A dude sold me a cluster of java fern leaves instead of an actual java fern ($7.50 expense) so I sold individual plantlets when they sprouted—that's gotten me a little more than $150 at a price of $1/plantlet, plus now I have a dozen bigger ones that I've kept.

We're in a hobby where things GROW. And new people enter the hobby every day, and want to buy some of the things that they can grow. It's basically farming—if it isn't making you money, you probably either aren't trying, or you're doing something wrong.
Holy ****! Your a wizard! I have made a nice grand total of $0 and spend probably almost $900

StarGirl

I bought 4$ worth of Vals and have made almost 200$ so far and I dont even advertise much. Plants are the way to go not fish.

jake37

Sigh. I knew I was doing something wrong. I've spent like $100 mailing things to people and haven't been paid a penny

YellowGuppy said:

YellowGuppy

StarGirl said:
I bought 4$ worth of Vals and have made almost 200$ so far and I dont even advertise much. Plants are the way to go not fish.
My guppies have FINALLY paid for themselves as of a couple months ago. Not nearly the moneymakers like snails or plants!

Step 1: have lots of snails
Step 2: find someone who owns puffers
Step 3: profit!

Bonus points of the snails were free, on a plant you bought for cheap, that you can propagate and sell for more!!!

jake37

But they arne't big and yellow. They are tiny and well some yucky red/brown. Don't you at least want big yellow balls ?

YellowGuppy said:
My guppies have FINALLY paid for themselves as of a couple months ago. Not nearly the moneymakers like snails or plants!

Step 1: have lots of snails
Step 2: find someone who owns puffers
Step 3: profit!

Bonus points of the snails were free, on a plant you bought for cheap, that you can propagate and sell for more!!!

YellowGuppy

jake37 said:
Sigh. I knew I was doing something wrong. I've spent like $100 mailing things to people and haven't been paid a penny
That's another good way to do it!!!! At least SOMEONE is benefiting from your farm!

jake37

Well I did a water change today and threw away $200 worth of jungle val. Of course in another 2 weeks I'll have at least $200 more to throw away. It really is the weed of aquariums. I did find a missing kuhli playing in the java fern but i still haven't seen the other 7. How is all of this related? It is now too cold to mail things so i don't have to go to the post office any more; i can just throw the **** away.

YellowGuppy said:
That's another good way to do it!!!! At least SOMEONE is benefiting from your farm!

bumblinBee

I'd like to preemptively apologize! I respect your opinion, and I do not judge if mine are not in line with your own, this is just how I feel.

- Fish bred to be 'long finned' varieties of a normal species almost always look worse
- Out of all livebearers, guppies look the worst
- People should stop breeding long finned betta varieties (and this is coming from the owner of one)
- Sometimes, perfect parameters cannot guarantee the health of your fish... sometimes genetics and a weak immune system is all mother nature needs to end a life, and there's nothing you can really do about it. That doesn't make you a bad or irresponsible owner.

kanzekatores

Mii said:
I have to agree with these two, and a lot more popular fish. there's a lot of fish that I just don't find appealing. I can understand how people like bettas, because some kinds (I like wild types) with good colors can look good in a community. Otherwise I'm overall opposed to bettas. But like... angelfish (some are okay, but a whole tank of them?), arrowana, cherry barb, roseline shark, a lot of danios, mollies...

jake37

You know i don't know if this is a known unpopular opinion but L204 are the very best pleco to have in your tank. Why is this the case - well simple there are no better pleco than L204.

Hugooo

jake37 said:
You know i don't know if this is a known unpopular opinion but L204 are the very best pleco to have in your tank. Why is this the case - well simple there are no better pleco than L204.
Aren't those the ones that are crazy expensive ?

Cherryshrimp420

My unpopular opinion would be: No one does water changes as often as they say

V1K

Continuing the previous topic of some less good-looking fish, my unpopular opinion: females of some guppies (like Endler's) are sooo dull-looking, that considering the recommended sex ratio and their larger size, they completely extinguish my interest in the whole species, despite the males being absolutely stunning.

Dippiedee

I have no interest in and get no enjoyment from breeding fish, having/raising fry ect. I think that's an unpopular opinion

mattgirl

Cherryshrimp420 said:
My unpopular opinion would be: No one does water changes as often as they say
This one reminds me of an opinion on another thread. It was not believing bristle nose plecos occasionally sleep flat on their back. That opinion was debunked the day the poster snapped a photo of their BN pleco sleeping flat on its back. The first time I saw Elbert doing it I thought he had died. Thankfully he was just sleeping.

I guess I am naive but I have to wonder why folks would say they do if they don't.

On another subject concerning long finned fish. The only ones I have are long finned Black Skirts. Thankfully the fins aren't excessively long but long enough to keep them from looking as stubby and those with shorter fins. In this one case I will choose the long finned variety every time. The longer fins don't seem to affect them at all. Watching a shoal of them swimming together just looks so graceful. They don't struggle at all.

I do agree the fins on some fish are excessive and look unnatural. I can see where the weight of the fins could affect the fish trying to swim with them. Some of them are so long and heavy the fish will actually bite the excess length off.

fishbreeeder

Platys are the best fish!!!

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom