Unpopular opinions? - Page 7

Cooperman411

I have 2 more -
1. I had a dream last night that I had 6 tanks. I currently have 1, 10 gallon and 1, 5 gallon backup. In my dream I had 6 ranging from 3-30 gallons and I was so overwhelmed with upkeep that it cured my MTS. So my unpopular opinion is apparently there is a cure to Multiple Tank Syndrome!!
2. Walstad tanks - I have seen some beautiful, interesting, amazing Walstad tanks and "jars" etc. But why the heck do so many people so proudly post photos of their Walstad creations that look like a jar full of sewer water! Nobody wants to look at that! I've been amazed and then literally gagged moments later while scrolling through the Walstad Reddit.

Oriongal

MacZ said:
You tell a beginner with an overstocked tank and plastic plants, that he only has to change water when the readings are bad he'll either be constantly changing water or have dead fish within a month.
I don't understand. If the readings are bad, shouldn't they be constantly changing water until they're good? If someone comes here and says their ammonia or nitrites are high, isn't that exactly what we're going to tell them to do first (50% water change)? And continue to do, until their parameters are normal?

I think regardless of aquarium type (planted or not planted), the parameters should generally be the guide of how often water changes are needed. Once a week is arbitrary; it will generally fit most situations, but it's not really taking into account why we do water changes. To me it's also missing an opportunity to better understand the biochemistry of your tank, vs. just doing something by rote without any understanding of why you're doing it (other than someone told you to.)

You can also do daily water changes without hurting the fish, provided we're not talking about advanced-level fish that have very strict pH requirements or something. When I've had to set up a quarantine where I was going to be using meds that I knew would kill a cycle for example, I don't bother putting a seasoned sponge filter in - I just do daily water changes for as long as the fish is in quarantine/treatment. I've never had any issues from doing that.

I have many unpopular opinions, and one of them is that I think we do put too much emphasis on things like pH matching and even temp matching. In the wild, the pH of most bodies of water isn't constant, and it can change quickly based on the environment (runoff, rainstorm, etc.) Nor is the temp generally constant either. If you've ever been swimming in a natural lake, you will encounter spots that are much warmer and spots that are much cooler. You won't know until you're in them. If fish couldn't adapt to that, they wouldn't survive.

Not saying that fish would never suffer if you drop them from a tank with pH 8.0 to one with 6.0 (or vice versa), or that they will 100% be perfectly fine if you transfer them from a tank that is 80F to one that is 68F.

But I have had to do things almost that drastic in an emergency, and the fish were fine. Receive fish that are suffering from ammonia poisoning in the bag, the most important thing is to get them OUT and into clean water, even if it's not pH- or temp-matched. Something gets dumped into a tank fouling the water, again more important to just get the fish out and into clean water. In my experience if they're otherwise healthy, they can handle a much wider range of both temp and pH than we would normally think or recommend.

MacZ

Oriongal said:
I don't understand. If the readings are bad, shouldn't they be constantly changing water until they're good?
Yes, but that wasn't the point. The point was, that it's careless to make the impression a non-descript tank can go without waterchanges, as the other user did when he said he went without any waterchanges for months without giving the explanation that his type setup was the reason this was possible.

Oriongal

MacZ said:
Yes, but that wasn't the point. The point was, that it's careless to make the impression a non-descript tank can go without waterchanges, as the other user did when he said he went without any waterchanges for months without giving the explanation that his type setup was the reason this was possible.
Fair enough, I don't disagree with that. I was just confused by saying that if you told someone to only change water when the parameters were bad, that it would lead them astray in some way. I think that telling someone to do water changes based on their own parameters is actually good advice, regardless of what their setup/stocking is; because it's tailoring to their specific situation, and is giving them more understanding of what they're doing and why they're doing it.

MacZ

Also true, but it was - again - the presentation.

MomeWrath

OK everyone is right it was a misunderstanding no one meant any harm can we move on before the thread gets closed for fighting, please? I like this thread.
Unpopular opinion: Bettas don't need filtered tanks - they need adequate volume and heat, but an HOB or power filter causes more problems than it solves for a typical long-finned betta.

Katie993

MomeWrath said:
OK everyone is right it was a misunderstanding no one meant any harm can we move on before the thread gets closed for fighting, please? I like this thread.
Unpopular opinion: Bettas don't need filtered tanks - they need adequate volume and heat, but an HOB or power filter causes more problems than it solves for a typical long-finned betta.
So true! I did use one of the Aqueon Internal Shrimp filters for my big finned boy for a little bit and it worked but they’re ****. Had two and both quit within three months. Had to have a sponge filter or he couldn’t maneuver around the tank.

MomeWrath

Katie993 said:
So true! I did use one of the Aqueon Internal Shrimp filters for my big finned boy for a little bit and it worked but they’re ****. Had two and both quit within three months. Had to have a sponge filter or he couldn’t maneuver around the tank.
Yeah I almost mentioned sponge filters, but then you have the noise and bubbles popping on the surface. I've watched a betta work for twenty minutes on a bubble nest before: suck - boop - suck - boop - suck - boop...
Imagine if you were stacking pins in the middle of a bowling alley lol. That's how I feel about bubbles in betta tanks haha!

Betta'sAnonymous

MomeWrath said:
Yeah I almost mentioned sponge filters, but then you have the noise and bubbles popping on the surface. I've watched a betta work for twenty minutes on a bubble nest before: suck - boop - suck - boop - suck - boop...
Imagine if you were stacking pins in the middle of a bowling alley lol. That's how I feel about bubbles in betta tanks haha!
This is way i try to have something tall enough to seriously reduce agitation on the top in a couple of spots on the surface. Whether the betta is smart enough to leave the bubble nests in those spots...well, that part is on them lol

Katie993

MomeWrath said:
They are definitely determined!

Dippiedee

I've seen severums described as a poor man's discus a few times, but...

I prefer severums. I think they're nicer looking, more interesting, and being lower maintenance is a plus for me. I've never seen a discus that can compare to the beauty of a red spotted severum.

jake37

I'm not sure they would fit in well with a planted tank and cardinal tetras

Dippiedee said:

I prefer severums. I think they're nicer looking, more interesting, and being lower maintenance is a plus for me. I've never seen a discus that can compare to the beauty of a red spotted severum.

FinalFins

Dippiedee said:

May I suggest this page

Dippiedee

jake37

My number one dislike for discus is that they prefer 84-86 temp. By golly i want my fishes to like 78-80. My two huge dislikes for severums are that they will muck up the plants and eat all the cardinals.
-
Let us face it both discus and severums suck.

Dippiedee

jake37 said:
Let us face it both discus and severums suck.
Blasphemy!

mattgirl

Wouldn't this be a boring world if everyone liked the exact same things.

Dippiedee

I will never let this thread die lol

Honey gouramis are pretty fish but they're incredibly boring to keep. They have no quirks

Mii

Dippiedee said:

Honey gouramis are pretty fish but they're incredibly boring to keep. They have no quirks
How dare you! They're the sweetest little things! It's really nice to have a small gourami that will be peaceful, and you can watch them interact with each other.

Dippiedee

I love the fish unpopular opinions thread but there doesnt seem to be an open thread for general unpopular opinions so here we go.

So let's start off strong;

I really like the first two Star Wars films (gasp); infact episode two might well be my favourite Star Wars film. And there is nothing wrong with Jar Jar Binks!

ryanr

I think Star Wars is generation dependant.
Those that saw IV, V, VI before the prequels were made, probably have a different view.
Sure I, II, III are interesting to the story, more so ep III, but having grown up with the original 3, it's hard to watch ep I especially.
And the sequels (VII, VIII, IX) are just a money maker for Disney

I can't recall the suggested order to watch them, but I know ep I is basically a throw away.

Dippiedee

I grew up with the original trilogy too, I had them on video and watched them religiously

Episode 3 was an absolute train wreck I agree with that

Edit: and I really hate the newest ones

ryanr

Episode 3 was good for the story, but it was poorly executed. (so much as it explained how Vader came to be, and the twins)

The problem with 1-3, and 7-9 is that they were built on fandom, as much as they were Lucas' vision. 1-3, Lucas was involved, but they tried too hard.

And the sequels (7-9), just didn't need to be made, maybe episode 9 could have been the finale without 7 and 8. But they stretched it with the multi-galaxy Luke, totally unbelievable. I only watched them because, well, Star Wars!

It's just turned into a money spinner now, unless they plan on following Rey.

But that's where the generational part kicks in. For traditionalists, they've gone off piste. For the newer watchers, it's a whole new franchise

SnookusFish

Dippiedee said:

Uh.. yea they do they make nests, they explore every part of the tank, the colours are amazing, their courtship and breeding behavior is awesome too.

Dippiedee

My biggest problem with episode 3 is that it was too rushed. Anakin's character development was too forced. If his change had been spread over a couple of films it could have been a more natural progression. His jump from that's not the jedi way to suddenly killing children didnt make sense.

Also, palpatine's acting...

The woman casted for Rey is a terrible actress. She has the emotional range of a teaspoon. It reminds me of Kristen Stewart's abysmal Twilight performance

jake37

Well one reason to avoid Honey Gouramis is where there is honey there are bees.

Dippiedee

I just love aggressive fish, I think. Peaceful business-minders will never captivate me the way feisty fish do.

ryanr

I shouldn't say this, but Daisy Ridley wasn't chosen for her acting, nor was Natalie Portman for that matter (never seen Twighlight)

Dippiedee

My jerk reaction was to say dont watch it, its terrible. But when I think about it, it is So bad that maybe you should lol

86 ssinit

Space balls (Mel brooks) was so much better .

GlennO

Dippiedee said:
I just love aggressive fish, I think. Peaceful business-minders will never captivate me the way feisty fish do.
I don't mind peaceful but I prefer active. Fish that have evolved in calm waters can be quite inactive. Gouramis, Bettas, Discus, Angels etc....they just kinda hang in the water a lot of the time.

FishBoy101

Shrimp are weird looking compared to humans, but shrimp are beautiful in their own weird way.

Betta'sAnonymous

86 ssinit said:
Space balls (Mel brooks) was so much better .
"Raspberry....i HATE raspberry!!"

Pfrozen

I've never watched all the star wars movies and I dont remember any one movie in its entirety either. My wife loves star wars so I make sure to refer to it as "star trek SG-1" and call every bearded guy either Dumbledore or Gandalf

Betta'sAnonymous

Will Ferrell is a funny dude, but he is generally HORRIBLE when he is the lead in a movie.

mimo91088

I'm 32. I was a young star wars nerd when the prequels came out. I can say without shame that I love the prequels and am willing to throw hands over it. Lol

Dippiedee

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Will Ferrell is a funny dude, but he is generally HORRIBLE when he is the lead in a movie.
What about step brothers? Or do you mean when hes a solo lead

Betta'sAnonymous

mimo91088 said:
I'm 32. I was a young star wars nerd when the prequels came out. I can say without shame that I love the prequels and am willing to throw hands over it. Lol
Be careful, i probably hit harder and dirtier!!

When one of my kids tells me " Daddy, i want to watch Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones", my response is always " wash your mouth out with soap, even my mouth is that filthy!!"

Dippiedee said:
What about step brothers? Or do you mean when hes a solo lead
Solo lead.

JettsPapa

I hate coffee, and marshmallows. Does that count as unpopular opinions?

86 ssinit

Will Ferrells best movie was Stranger than Fiction!

FishGirl115

JettsPapa said:
I hate coffee, and marshmallows. Does that count as unpopular opinions?
Lol. I used to not like pizza and I still don't like pop.

NoahLikesFish

1. I hate meat except fish and shrimp 2. I think endlers and micro rasboras are ok in a 5 gallon 3. Most tetras need a 20 long minimum 4. Idk

Prequels are just as good as the other ones

Dippiedee

I hate beef burgers and mince. I don't like meat in general but burgers and mince are particularly foul.

mimo91088

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Be careful, i probably hit harder and dirtier!!

When one of my kids tells me " Daddy, i want to watch Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones", my response is always " wash your mouth out with soap, even my mouth is that filthy!!"
Meet me at the skate park after school. It's on buddy!

NoahLikesFish

Stop fighting

mimo91088

NoahLikesFish said:
Stop fighting
I suppose I should make it clear even though Betta'sAnonymous seems to get it. But I'm just poking fun

NoahLikesFish

I know I was joking too

JettsPapa

NoahLikesFish said:
1. I hate meat except fish and shrimp 2. I think endlers and micro rasboras are ok in a 5 gallon 3. Most tetras need a 20 long minimum 4. Idk

Prequels are just as good as the other ones
The only kinds of meat I've tried that I don't like are lamb/mutton, and any type of liver (though I'm not a big fan of oysters).

Betta'sAnonymous

Onion rings are always better than fries.

redmare

I was 7 when I saw episode 1- I loved jar jar binks. I was the perfect demographic for him! Can't stand him now though. I also had a big time 7-year-old crush on qui gon jinn, I drew a poster of him and put it on my door. I saw episodes 2 and 3 later, but only once and didn't really care for them. I liked kid anakin.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom