Unpopular opinions? - Page 6

Dippiedee

I use fairy liquid on my glass fish tank lids and I use spray glass cleaner on the outside of my tanks, and the bowl and cup I use to move tank water around pretty regularly go in the dishwasher and have done for months with no adverse effects. I think as long as its all rinsed and theres no suds going into your tanks you're good

hyperheide

Getting some real sunlight is one of the best things that can happen to a tank.

!poogs!

MacZ said:
You still assume that?
Well maybe not assume, but give credit too..............good point

jake37

Well then I guess it is time for you to move to a location with decent water After all you want your fish to have the best !

StarGirl said:
Doesn't work on mine. Its the same if I left it for 20 minutes. The Lime away doesn't even take it all off. Its super bad. Believe me I tried.

MacZ

!poogs! said:
Well maybe not assume, but give credit too..............good point
Respect! Admire your positivity. (Honestly!) I think I'm having a bit of a pessimistic phase this week.

Mii

faydout

!poogs! said:
Tried one of these for a few months and loathed it. Way too much going through bypass and I hate that skimmer (not a fan of the ones on Marinelands either, but I love the simplicity of their HOB's). Mine started collecting organic waste under the media basket that I found out about when it started shooting mulm all over the tank when I cleaned the filter housing, immediately after maintenance. Apparently I'm just not the Seachem fanboy that AvalancheDave is (sarcasm!). I think the only Seachem stuff I have on hand anymore is a thing of metroplex and kanaplex for emergencies (hopefully, I won't have to ever open the boxes).

jake37

One day they weren't there and the next they were....
Mii said:
What do you mean they appeared in your pail?

WrenFeenix

mimo91088 said:
Here's one. I think aquaclear filters are poorly designed and have a garbage impeller. Even if someone gave me a free aquaclear, I'd throw it in the trash where it belongs and go buy a marineland lol.
I think the only thing Aquaclear does better than a Marineland is that they’re clear. It’s pretty handy to be able to see into the filter, especially while it’s loaded. However, being made of hard acrylic makes them really brittle.

Mii

jake37 said:
One day they weren't there and the next they were....
How?

DrogJustDrog

Lionhead and ranchu goldfish look a little concerning too me. It has to be a little uncomfortable to have those big puffy scales on your head.

jake37

Well that is a question. One of the mysteries of life. One day they aren't there and the next they are - guppies are amazing.

Mii said:

Mii

jake37 said:
Well that is a question. One of the mysteries of life. One day they aren't there and the next they are - guppies are amazing.
I like guppies, I just don't like the fact that you're often sold sick ones.

jake37

Buy them here; they are less likely to be sick

Mii said:
I like guppies, I just don't like the fact that you're often sold sick ones.

FinalFins

MacZ said:
You will be blown away how many fish are still wild caught. Talk to a wholesaler or an importeur
*cough* loaches *cough*

HolyKamikaziBetta

mattgirl said:
I am glad that works for you but it may not work for everyone.
That’s why this is An unpopular opinion page
Though I’m sure the no water change thing, does vary. My setup just works. It isn’t something I actually tried to do.
However; my statement still stands that if your water parameters aren’t bad, you don’t need to change the water. And I mean by bad, I mean little to no readings aside from nitrates.

MacZ said:
Do your thing, just one point to consider: There must be a reason you can do this. Massive amounts of plants, few fish, and other factors that make this possible. I don't know which apply in your case, but definitely there must be a reason it works. That reason would be nice to know, so beginners that read this don't try and fail and make you responsible.
Ok so, yes. I have a 60 gallon planted with soil. I have.. 10 fish in it. My plants are floaters, lots of java fern and anubias... crypts..
with my opinion tho, you still have to check your water with a test kit and change it if readings are bad. I just do not change it if they’re good, I simply top it off.

MacZ

HolyKamikaziBetta said:
Ok so, yes. I have a 60 gallon planted with soil. I have.. 10 fish in it. My plants are floaters, lots of java fern and anubias... crypts..
with my opinion tho, you still have to check your water with a test kit and change it if readings are bad. I just do not change it if they’re good, I simply top it off.
You just also confirmed my suspicion of heavy planting (incl. nitrogen sinks like floaters) and low stocking in a big tank. That's why it works. Basically a Walstad tank, right? You should definitely mention that regularly when you talk about your waterchange philosophy, or people might get the wrong impression. Go on, the method works in my experience.

mattgirl

HolyKamikaziBetta said:
That’s why this is An unpopular opinion page
Though I’m sure the no water change thing, does vary. My setup just works. It isn’t something I actually tried to do.
However; my statement still stands that if your water parameters aren’t bad, you don’t need to change the water. And I mean by bad, I mean little to no readings aside from nitrates.
I have to add what may be an unpopular opinion. There are things that we don't normally test for that build up and others that get used up in our tanks. Water changes either dilute those that build up or replenish the ones that get used up.
HolyKamikaziBetta said:
I can actually see why this works in your tank. Very low bio-load in a big tank with lots of plants.

This is actually a great thread. It gives all of us some food for thought. Nothing in this hobby is chiseled in stone. I can only think of one constant. To cycle a tank there has to be an ammonia source.

Dippiedee

Dippiedee said:
So after seeing king of diy's platinum angelfish aquarium I'd like to humbly take this back lol

jake37

I'm not sure lots of plants help as much as low stocking. This is my 120. While there are denser planted tanks this one isn't devoid of plants. The problem is that it has a fair amount of fishes

Then again we don't know if HolyKamikaziBetta has 10 oscars or 10 embers in his 65. However, if they were guppies that would explain it since guppies makes everything perfect.

HolyKamikaziBetta

MacZ said:
You just also confirmed my suspicion of heavy planting (incl. nitrogen sinks like floaters) and low stocking in a big tank. That's why it works. Basically a Walstad tank, right? You should definitely mention that regularly when you talk about your waterchange philosophy, or people might get the wrong impression. Go on, the method works in my experience.
Regardless of the method tho, you don’t need to change your water unless you have bad readings.
You may have to every week, or every month, depending on readings.
I’m not saying change the water every 3-5 months... I’m saying, it’s not necessary to change your water on a ritual basis. Check your water on a ritual basis, change water as needed.
my point was totally missed here, lol.
People change water every week usually, because that’s recommended, no matter the water readings. I’m saying... don’t change the water if it doesn’t need changed. How would someone know if their tank is capable of good water for months if they’re changing it every week no matter what? Lol.

MacZ

HolyKamikaziBetta said:
Regardless of the method tho, you don’t need to change your water unless you have bad readings.
You may have to every week, or every month, depending on readings.
I’m not saying change the water every 3-5 months... I’m saying, it’s not necessary to change your water on a ritual basis. Check your water on a ritual basis, change water as needed.
my point was totally missed here, lol.
People change water every week usually, because that’s recommended, no matter the water readings. I’m saying... don’t change the water if it doesn’t need changed. How would someone know if their tank is capable of good water for months if they’re changing it every week no matter what? Lol.
Nevermind. I'm not going to argue here.

HolyKamikaziBetta

mattgirl said:
I have to add what may be an unpopular opinion. There are things that we don't normally test for that build up and others that get used up in our tanks. Water changes either dilute those that build up or replenish the ones that get used up.

I can actually see why this works in your tank. Very low bio-load in a big tank with lots of plants.

This is actually a great thread. It gives all of us some food for thought. Nothing in this hobby is chiseled in stone. I can only think of one constant. To cycle a tank there has to be an ammonia source.
Ok well clearly, mattgirl, you don’t agree but fish come from the wild and I’m sure there’s buildup there. You don’t see people changing the water. The point is to create an ecosystem. What’s wrong with
MacZ said:
Nevermind. I'm not going to argue here.
im not trying to argue, I’m just pointing out that my point isn’t to not change your water, it’s to not change it unless it needs it. Lol.
& the one about the ecosystem wasn’t to you, it’s to mattgirl. I wasn’t arguing with you.

Dippiedee

I'm not sure if this is an unpopular opinion or if I'm just straight up wrong but

Fish wont jump out of tanks they're happy with. If your parameters are good, theres adequate hiding places, appropriate tank mates and appropriate tank size, you can keep a fish (even one notorious for jumping) without a lid. If they jumped it's only because theres something wrong with their housing situation

MacZ

HolyKamikaziBetta said:
im not trying to argue, I’m just pointing out that my point isn’t to not change your water, it’s to not change it unless it needs it. Lol.
& the one about the ecosystem wasn’t to you, it’s to mattgirl. I wasn’t arguing with you.
Just let's leave it at that, shall we? My point didn't get to you, I felt like I would have to start to argue, that's what I meant.
My point was, that your system only works because of your type of setup. You tell a beginner with an overstocked tank and plastic plants, that he only has to change water when the readings are bad he'll either be constantly changing water or have dead fish within a month. It's not something that would work generally. And let's face it, most tanks don't fit the conditions yours has. That's the point for me. (Sorry, English is not my native language, I had no idea how to make that clear earlier.)

jake37

I would vote it as being straight up and wrong. There are fishes that will jump no matter how 'happy' they are with the tank.

Dippiedee said:
I'm not sure if this is an unpopular opinion or if I'm just straight up wrong but

Fish wont jump out of tanks they're happy with. If your parameters are good, theres adequate hiding places, appropriate tank mates and appropriate tank size, you can keep a fish (even one notorious for jumping) without a lid. If they jumped it's only because theres something wrong with their housing situation
A deeper issue is how to determine when it is time to change water. You seem to presume that (for example) nitrate is all you need to measure but there are plenty of other organics that are not being measured.... do those influence when you need to change the water ?

MacZ said:
Just let's leave it at that, shall we? My point didn't get to you, I felt like I would have to start to argue, that's what I meant.
My point was, that your system only works because of your type of setup. You tell a beginner with an overstocked tank and plastic plants, that he only has to change water when the readings are bad he'll either be constantly changing water or have dead fish within a month. It's not something that would work generally. And let's face it, most tanks don't fit the conditions yours has. That's the point for me. (Sorry, English is not my native language, I had no idea how to make that clear earlier.)

Dippiedee

jake37 said:
I would vote it as being straight up and wrong. There are fishes that will jump no matter how 'happy' they are with the tank.
It could well be and I'm definitely not above admitting that I'm wrong but my understanding of the jumping instinct is that it's a survival instinct; if the fish is in an environment where it has everything that it needs; clean water, ready supply of food, enough space ect ect why would the jumping instinct be triggered?

jake37

Well when fishes learn to speak we will learn the answer to that question.

Dippiedee said:
It could well be and I'm definitely not above admitting that I'm wrong but my understanding of the jumping instinct is that it's a survival instinct; if the fish is in an environment where it has everything that it needs; clean water, ready supply of food, enough space ect ect why would the jumping instinct be triggered?

StarGirl

Dippiedee said:
My female betta jumps at the end of the pipet to get food. Shes just a piggy though!

mosin360

I hate sand... I use it but cuss every time I have to mess with it.

mimo91088

Dippiedee said:
A lot of time they'll do it if they get spooked too. A lot of small prey fish use jumping in the wild to avoid predators. Startle them enough somehow and that instinct will kick in.

HolyKamikaziBetta

MacZ said:
I still don’t understand what you’re saying. Are you saying that if you have plastic plants, you recommend changing the water like on a weekly basis no matter what the water readings say? (And an overstocked tank)
If the tank is overstocked that badly, they’d be changing water constantly anyway and probably have dead fish within a week. Lol. That whole scenario goes beyond water changes when you get into overstocked tanks, which is a big no no anyway.
but yeah, I agree,

AvalancheDave

GlennO said:
What’s your preferred water conditioner?
If I had to buy right now, Fritz ACCR powder.

If I find it which, if any, actually detoxify ammonia then that might change my choice.

jake37

sachem prime is said to detoxify ammonia.

AvalancheDave said:
If I had to buy right now, Fritz ACCR powder.

If I find it which, if any, actually detoxify ammonia then that might change my choice.

AcornTheBetta

MacZ

HolyKamikaziBetta said:
I still don’t understand what you’re saying. Are you saying that if you have plastic plants, you recommend changing the water like on a weekly basis no matter what the water readings say? (And an overstocked tank)
If the tank is overstocked that badly, they’d be changing water constantly anyway and probably have dead fish within a week. Lol. That whole scenario goes beyond water changes when you get into overstocked tanks, which is a big no no anyway.
but yeah, I agree,
This is my last try.
Your idea of just changing water when the readings are bad would end up somebody with such a tank as in my example in changing water weekly (or more often) anyway because the readings say so. So the whole original point you had, that you don't have to change water weekly is absolutely useless for a lot of people. A beginner won't be able to do this and after a few months of weekly waterchanges because the readings say so would ask why they can't do it like you.

Thus MY POINT is, that you shouldn't give people the impression that no matter what setup, waterchanges are not necessary regularly. Your idea is not applicable to every type of setup.

And please cut the "lol"s. I don't find this funny at all and feel not taken serious. You have no idea what some people have posted here on the forum asking for help after reading incomplete or unexplained advice. We here as a community have somewhat of a responsibility.

Even though this is a "unpopular opinion" thread, just try to be aware, that people might likely get it wrong. I guess this lack of awareness is the only thing that makes your opinion unpopular. Had you given the conditions your tank has in the first place, the opinion wouldn't be unpopular at all, because other hobbyists would immediately know why(!) you can skip WCs for months. Make that connection, make it clear there are conditions to your way and I have no problems with it.

mattgirl

HolyKamikaziBetta said:
Ok well clearly, mattgirl, you don’t agree but fish come from the wild and I’m sure there’s buildup there. You don’t see people changing the water. The point is to create an ecosystem. What’s wrong with

I read this over and over about fish in the wild not getting water changes but that simply isn't true. Most fish wouldn't live long in a stagnant pool of water. Most fish though live in water that is constantly changing. The rivers, lakes and even oceans are constantly getting fresh water. If the water the fish is in isn't to its liking it can move somewhere else. That isn't the case in an enclosed glass box.

In my humble opinion it is our job to make sure our fish live in fresh clean water since they can't just move somewhere else.

mimo91088

I'm just saying. I also made a post about how people change too much water in planted tanks. No, it doesn't apply to everyone. But if you have a tank with tons of plants, appropriately stocked and heavily filtered then weekly water changes can be absurd. One of my tanks I do like a 50% water change 2 or 3 times a year. Yes I dose ferts, add in minerals in various forms, and buffer hardness. Dosing takes much less effort than a water change does. At the end of the day most of us here aren't newbies. Give a disclaimer and educate those folks.

Sure, I don't agree with every point made. But why is someone being jumped on for posting an unpopular opinion in the "unpopular opinions" thread?

mattgirl

mimo91088 said:
Sure, I don't agree with every point made. But why is someone being jumped on for posting an unpopular opinion in the "unpopular opinions" thread?
To be perfectly honest all of this wouldn't have gotten as deep as it had if the one you feel is being jumped on hadn't kept insisting their way should always work. I simply said I was happy it worked for that tank and was willing to drop it right there but I wasn't allowed to do so.

I will admit I am a strong believer in water changes but there are cases where weekly water changes don't have to be done. Your tank as well as HolyKamikaziBetta is a perfect example. A well established tank with a fairly low bio-load, lots of plants and great filtration makes a huge difference in how often water changes need to be done.

Most of the folks that come here for help are fairly new to the hobby though. I feel sure you would offer a disclaimer when telling folks you don't have to do as many water changes. You would tell them how they could get to the same place you are. There are exceptions to just about everything. Your tank is the exception rather than the rule.

mimo91088

I suppose it would be good to put a disclaimer on this entire thread for the new folks lol. The unpopular opinions thread is the last place you should come looking for advice. Please do your own research before you listen to anything anyone says here.

AcornTheBetta

mimo91088 said:
I suppose it would be good to put a disclaimer on this entire thread for the new folks lol. The unpopular opinions thread is the last place you should come looking for advice. Please do your own research before you listen to anything anyone says here.
I agree. A lot of the things stated here are not facts, just opinions.

Katie993

I have a few.
1.) Creating a balanced ecosystem in your tank should be top priority over what looks pretty.
2.) With the proper ecosystem, your water change schedule becomes wayyyy more flexible. Almost nonexistent with some experience.
3.) With enough space, some planning, and remembering that what you want to see is not always what’s best, betta community tanks with multiple males are absolutely possible.
4.) Live food does not always mean extra work.
5.) If you have a bit of experience, don’t be afraid to try things out that others say aren’t possible. Do your research and consider others opinions but don’t let them determine what you can and can’t do. Its possible. It just depends on you and the amount of work, money, or time you’re willing to invest.

jake37

Do you feel the fishes poorly behaved neighbors ?

Katie993 said:
4.) Live food does not always mean extra work.

Katie993

jake37 said:
Do you feel the fishes poorly behaved neighbors ?
I’m sorry but I don’t understand.

Edit- do you mean “do you feed the fishes poorly behaved neighbors?” Lol sorry it didn’t click until now. I actually have scud colonies in every tank. Breeding tanks and all. No maintenance, they help move the substrate around, clean up mulm, and you don’t need an extra tank because they will live with literally everything freshwater.

Dippiedee

Ooooh okay I have another one

It's completely fine to want a tank that's not natural. If black/brown/cream substrate, wood, rocks and real plants arent your thing, that's cool. You can use colourful fake plants and put a pink castle in there if you want to.

AcornTheBetta

Dippiedee said:
Ooooh okay I have another one

It's completely fine to want a tank that's not natural. If black/brown/cream substrate, wood, rocks and real plants arent your thing, that's cool. You can use colourful fake plants and put a pink castle in there if you want to.
I agree, just make sure they are safe for your animals. Also, no colored substrate if someone is going to do this!

AvalancheDave

Katie993 said:
Edit- do you mean “do you feed the fishes poorly behaved neighbors?”
I fed my neighbors to the fish.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom