Unpopular opinions? - Page 4

faydout

Dippiedee said:
I love the ambient noise my aquariums make.
I like the sound of moving water, but an air pump thats louder than it should be makes me want to throw things. To be fair though, I spend about 14 hours a day in the room with both my tanks because I work from home now. So I've got 2 big air pumps going in here all the time.

faywayway

I actually don't mind seeing little harmless creatures like detritus worms, rhabdocoela, scuds, water fleas and other copepods in my tanks at all. If anything, to me they're a very welcome site and I love watching them. Sometimes I even feel bad if I accidentally suck them up during water changes. It just makes it seem like I have a mini working ecosystem in my tank, and I have my own extra tiny clean up crews. Even if their numbers do grow and they begin to swim up and around the water column, my fish love to eat them right up so they never become a problem.

Awaken_Riceball_

Telling my dad who is an outdoor saltwater fisherman enthusiasts gave me a you got to be kidding me laugh when I said, "Fish have personalities."

erinw347

I actually like algae. I have so many algae eaters that when I actually see it Im excited for them because they get extra food.
Btw when I say algae I mean diatoms and green spot algae. Hair algae, cyanobacteria and BBA has no place in my tank.

DrogJustDrog

I doubt this is really an "unpopular" opinion, especially here- but I feel as though common plecos are too easy to get. I can find them at my local supermarket in the pet section! Bit concerning. I feel they should be limited to LFSs.

Edit: Phrasing;

Leeman75

DrogJustDrog said:
I doubt this is really an "unpopular" opinion, especially here- but I feel as though common plecos are too easy to get. I can find them at my local supermarket in the pet section! Bit concerning. I feel they should be limited to LFSs.

Too true! They should also have a warning label on them that says WARNING! These fish grow larger than an aircraft carrier. Any tank under a billion gallons will be insufficient for them.

Dippiedee

DrogJustDrog said:

Also redtail catfish IMO just shouldnt be available for sale. They should be fish you need to specifically source and only available to people able to prove adequate housing for them. Tinfoil barbs and balas should be less available too; they are literally in every shop that sells fish when hardly anyone can actually house them.

erinw347

Another unpopular opinion I have. Personally I don’t think mystery snails should be kept in less than 15-20 gallons, 10g at the very minimum. Simply because mystery snails get VERY BIG. They are also poop machines.

jake37

It is ok to keep cory with breeding apistogramma...

julifhy

I came up with some more possibly unpopular opinions lol:

Idk if someone already mentioned this or not, but I don't find corydoras cute. They're honestly kind of creepy... Except for pygmy corys. I can't wait to get them lol.

I don't really like guppies, mollys, or platys. I only enjoy looking at them in heavily planted tanks

I also don't know if this is unpopular or not, but I prefer understocked tanks.

Lastly, I don't think neon tetras are good tank mates for bettas.

jake37

Don't know if it is popular or unpopular but guppies solve all problems. Also they are the best at controlling algae.

Pfrozen

letting my filters get dirty was a dumb idea so ignore my previous post. theres more to fishkeeping then 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites. other dissolved organic material from waste can and will destroy your tank even if your parameters are perfect. that being said, RIP to my 10g tank. Clean your filters!!

MacZ

Pfrozen said:
letting my filters get dirty was a dumb idea so ignore my previous post. theres more to fishkeeping then 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites. other dissolved organic material from waste can and will destroy your tank even if your parameters are perfect. that being said, RIP to my 10g tank. Clean your filters!!
Sounds to me almost like you squeezed it out in the tank or didn't do waterchanges.
We should qualify here: Clean appropriately. Not every kind of filter needs to be regularly cleaned except to prevent clogging. Spongefilters are rarely used here where I live, so I can't say much about these, but there are many other filter types and configurations that don't need thorough cleaning.
Just saying so nobody gets that one wrong.

jake37

I clean my sponge filters about once every 6 or 8 months. Sometime every 3 months but usually not very often.

MacZ said:
Sounds to me almost like you squeezed it out in the tank or didn't do waterchanges.
We should qualify here: Clean appropriately. Not every kind of filter needs to be regularly cleaned except to prevent clogging. Spongefilters are rarely used here where I live, so I can't say much about these, but there are many other filter types and configurations that don't need thorough cleaning.

Dippiedee

I have a fluval u series; absolute rubbish. Takes about 3 or 4 days for the flow to slow considerably and needs to be cleaned once a week (in tank or dechlorinated water) at absolute minimum, otherwise it just clogs.

Dont get a fluval u series.

Pfrozen

MacZ said:
Nope I never squeezed it in the tank, just went 1.5-2 weeks without a water change. I didn't clean my hob for about a month though. I guess I should clarify on that. After 1 month I had about a pound of mulm in my pre intake and it was clearly polluting the water even though the parameters were perfect. You can't have unlimited dissolved organic carbon in your water, gonna run into issues at some point. For a 10g tank that happens real fast

MacZ

Ok, clarification helps. I just wanted to make sure above, as it was a bit unspecific. Now the case makes perfect sense.

Dippiedee

I dont really like small fish unless they're a schooling fish, then I only really like them in large numbers. I find honey gouramis very meh.

jake37

The question is what is 'small'. Yea 1 inch is smaller than 2 inch but 1/2 inch is smaller than 1 inch and 2 inch is smaller than 5 inch but 5 inch is smaller than 10 inch which is smaller than 30 feet.... So which is small and which is large? Not sure very many folks have 30 feet fishes in their tank but maybe you do. And if you think 30 feet is too small there are larger fishes

Dippiedee said:
I dont really like small fish unless they're a schooling fish, then I only really like them in large numbers. I find honey gouramis very meh.

Dippiedee

jake37 said:
The question is what is 'small'. Yea 1 inch is smaller than 2 inch but 1/2 inch is smaller than 1 inch and 2 inch is smaller than 5 inch but 5 inch is smaller than 10 inch which is smaller than 30 feet.... So which is small and which is large? Not sure very many folks have 30 feet fishes in their tank but maybe you do. And if you think 30 feet is too small there are larger fishes
Haha, fair. I mean fish below 4"

Dippiedee

A cheap price tag shouldnt make people think of fish as disposable. It's still an animal with needs and requirements. Just because it was cheap doesnt give you the right to neglect it. A goldfish has just as much right to a comfortable life as an arowana.

Mii

Dippiedee said:
A cheap price tag shouldnt make people think of fish as disposable. It's still an animal with needs and requirements. Just because it was cheap doesnt give you the right to neglect it. A goldfish has just as much right to a comfortable life as an arowana.
I think that opinion is pretty popular and well accepted among aquarium hobbyists, although most non-fish-people think of fish as objects basically.

Dippiedee

Mii said:
I think that opinion is pretty popular and well accepted among aquarium hobbyists, although most non-fish-people think of fish as objects basically.
I've seen some questionable statements made on here but yeah generally its non fish people who find it unpopular

Chalupacabra

Guppies are obnoxious, hateful fish.

Seriously, the only reason I keep them is because my aquariums are too small for a school of SAEs and my SAE socializes with guppies.

The only fish I’ve had worse experiences with are Endler’s livebearers.

MomeWrath

Here's one that will get some people scratching their heads as to why I would have three aquariums in my living room:
I can't stand when I can hear the tank.
My favorite is my canister-filtered-75 because it is almost silent. The other two tanks have HOB's but I keep the water level at or just above the edge of the frame because the falling water sound drives me bananas. I just changed the remaining betta tank in my room to a filter-less setup because if I can hear the water moving it keeps me awake. I only own one tiny air pump and it is for emergency use only. I have spent half a day before figuring out where a buzzing sound was coming from and rebuilding the filter to make it stop.
It was the worst when I had a HOB skimmer with a huge pump in the tank in my old reef tank. I had a big turbo snail that would wedge himself between the pump and the glass and it sounded like a propeller plane in my living room. Those suckers hang on tight, too. I would just have to wait for him to move on because he was so big and strong I couldn't pry him off the glass without being afraid I would hurt him.

mimo91088

Chalupacabra said:

Seriously, the only reason I keep them is because my aquariums are too small for a school of SAEs and my SAE socializes with guppies.

I feel attacked. Lol

jkkgron2

Chalupacabra said:

Whats wrong with endlers?

Dawn Michele

Rick bose

Ok.. my unpopular opinion would be goldfish can be tankmates with tropical fishes if the two are compatible, not talking about temperature compatibility. Lots of people say that goldfish can't be kept with tropical fishes as the temperature requirement varies.
But goldfish can live in both cold and tropical temperature waters.
Where I live it's 40°C above most of times in summer, sometimes even 42-43°C. Except winter and spring, the temperature always remain north of 28°C for 7-8 for 7-8 months.
Then how people can keep goldfish here in their tanks if they can't live in tropical temperatures? If they can keep fishes here successfully, then it means they do fine in these temperatures and can be kept in tropical tanks with tropical fishes unless they are incompatible.

mattgirl

MomeWrath said:
Here's one that will get some people scratching their heads as to why I would have three aquariums in my living room:
I can't stand when I can hear the tank.
My favorite is my canister-filtered-75 because it is almost silent. The other two tanks have HOB's but I keep the water level at or just above the edge of the frame because the falling water sound drives me bananas. I just changed the remaining betta tank in my room to a filter-less setup because if I can hear the water moving it keeps me awake. I only own one tiny air pump and it is for emergency use only. I have spent half a day before figuring out where a buzzing sound was coming from and rebuilding the filter to make it stop.
It was the worst when I had a HOB skimmer with a huge pump in the tank in my old reef tank. I had a big turbo snail that would wedge himself between the pump and the glass and it sounded like a propeller plane in my living room. Those suckers hang on tight, too. I would just have to wait for him to move on because he was so big and strong I couldn't pry him off the glass without being afraid I would hurt him.
I couldn't agree with you more. Tanks should be seen, not heard. I am hearing a slight grinding noise coming from one of my HOB filters. I am going to take it apart today and get to the bottom of it. If I can't stop it I will replace it. The only time I hear the water fall in my tanks is during a water change and even for that short time the noise gets on my very last nerve.

faydout

mattgirl said:
the noise gets on my very last nerve.
I've got the problem where I love sponge filters, but I hate loud air pumps. Both of my bigger tanks are in the basement office, and there's a wall up against the furnace room along the side where my tanks are. I've got a longer term project of poking a hole in the drywall, fitting a multi media cover over it (one of those ones meant for running speaker wires around your living room) and moving my air pumps and canister into the furnace room (the canister is silent, but for aesthetics... why not?). At that point, I can look at replacing the 2 air pumps with a single linear air pump.

AngelfishDude722

Goldfish are good pets They are very cool they may seem boring but they are very smart and fun to watch. Plus they are beautiful and have there own little personalitie.

MomeWrath

AngelfishDude722 said:
Goldfish are good pets They are very cool they may seem boring but they are very smart and fun to watch. Plus they are beautiful and have there own little personalitie.
I agree completely! They are nice to each other, pretty, require a minimal investment in the fish themselves or their tanks (other than size) and you end up with a large, interactive, friendly, shiny beautiful fish that recognizes you and wants to say hello! What could be better?

jake37

Ok another of my unpopular opinions: Gold fishes are dirty ugly monstrosity that no one in their right mind would want to own. I will never again own a gold fish (the last one i had was when i was around 7 and won it at the state fair.

AcornTheBetta

jake37 said:
Ok another of my unpopular opinions: Gold fishes are dirty ugly monstrosity that no one in their right mind would want to own. I will never again own a gold fish (the last one i had was when i was around 7 and won it at the state fair.
Really?? Not even like a ranchu goldfish (my favorite type)?

Mii

non-fancy goldfish look better than fancy goldfish, my personal favorites are shubunkins.

MomeWrath

jake37 said:
Wow I feel personally attacked, and so does The Dread Pirate Roberts. Look, you hurt his feeling.
Dread Pirate Roberts.jpg

Mii

MomeWrath said:
Wow I feel personally attacked, and so does The Dread Pirate Roberts. Look, you hurt his feeling.
Dread Pirate Roberts.jpg
i meant SOME fancy goldfish, some just look like common goldies that got squished down a bit and i think those ones are cute, not as elegant as the long bois(non fancy goldfish), but i still like them, it's when you go past those fancy goldfish, when you make it even more extreme, that the fish stop looking like a cute cartoon, and just look really deformed, to the point where the fish looks like it's sick all the time, then i just feel sorry for the fish

now i feel sad because i made your goldfish sad.

mimo91088

MomeWrath said:
Dread Pirate Roberts.jpg
Alexander Hamilfin is also displeased.
20200502_102534.jpg

AcornTheBetta

mimo91088 said:
Alexander Hamilfin is also displeased.
20200502_102534.jpg
Great name.
mimo91088 and his right hand man (Hamilton reference anyone, anyone)

Mii

just to clarify, i think it's fine to breed them to make them look a little funny, and, while my personal preference in goldfish lies elsewhere, i still think those other goldfish are fine, and some of them look cute. it's when you start breeding them so they have really hunched backs, when the "egg shape" gets turned into a deformed blob that can't even swim right that annoys me. i'm fine with making them look pudgy, or giving them that thing on their head, but once you take it to a more extreme level than that they don't even look like a goldfish anymore, or can't see or swim right, than it really annoys me. all fish should be able to see and swim

julifhy

MomeWrath said:
Dread Pirate Roberts.jpg
You can tell Dead Pirate Roberts that I love him just the way he is hilarious

Idk if this is unpopular or not, but I love bubble eye goldfish.
I know people don’t like them because their genetically modified, but so are the majority of fish in fish keeping. If I do end up deciding on getting them, I would make sure I’m getting them from a responsible breeder and I will make sure to do everything so that they can thrive

Mii

you guys have such cute goldfish you've officially changed my mind about fancy goldfish MomeWrath mimo91088 they are adorable wonderful creatures and i want them. shubunkins are still my favorite though

AcornTheBetta

My favorite goldfish is ranchu goldfish. IDK why they are just so CUTE!

jkkgron2

I absolutely love goldfish! Here’s my newest one, her name is Squishy!

BDD93CBC-BC90-4A98-944D-8E9900BC7790.jpeg

490FD230-3826-4B25-902A-061B505CB812.jpeg

AcornTheBetta

jkkgron2 said:
I absolutely love goldfish! Here’s my newest one, her name is Squishy!

BDD93CBC-BC90-4A98-944D-8E9900BC7790.jpeg

490FD230-3826-4B25-902A-061B505CB812.jpeg
AWWW! So cute!

MomeWrath

Mii said:
you guys have such cute goldfish you've officially changed my mind about fancy goldfish MomeWrath mimo91088 they are adorable wonderful creatures and i want them. shubunkins are still my favorite though
That's my ryukin. My other two are a fantail and an oranda that barely qualifies as his wen is mostly just a thick skin on his head still and he only has one analfin. By oranda standards he's hideous lol. I do agree tho about the superdeformed ones who can't swim or see or eat properly. I wasn't a fan of ranchu until i saw the O'Ranchu clan on youtube and now I love them too. I have a shubunkin in my pond outside and some comets with tails longer than their bodies, and they are definitely beautiful, too!

Mii

MomeWrath said:
That's my ryukin. My other two are a fantail and an oranda that barely qualifies as his wen is mostly just a thick skin on his head still and he only has one analfin. By oranda standards he's hideous lol. I do agree tho about the superdeformed ones who can't swim or see or eat properly. I wasn't a fan of ranchu until i saw the O'Ranchu clan on youtube and now I love them too. I have a shubunkin in my pond outside and some comets with tails longer than their bodies, and they are definitely beautiful, too!
Thank you for showing me the light, please forgive my past self for not liking fancy goldfish

MomeWrath

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.
Unpopular opinion: Tiger barbs are underrated as a schooling fish and are a great candidate for tanks with larger or more aggressive fish (provided of course they have sufficient numbers and space).

mimo91088

Here's my unpopular opinion of the day. Y'all change too much water in your planted tanks.

Latest threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Find a Guru

Top Bottom