Unpopular opinions? - Page 3

Rockymountainstream

KatLovesCoffee said:
I’m chuckling a little at our vast differences, since this is my current shirt situation.
Dippiedee said:
So apparently my unpopular opinion is that I love plecos, bettas and big fish lol especially severums. A giant tank with 3 or 4 severums is a tank well stocked

Edit: and bala sharks are my dream fish, I really hope to have a tank capable of housing them one day.
I can't lie, I do like the Bala sharks

StarGirl

Rockymountainstream

I like the pleco as well. All the different shapes and colors. Also when they are small in a big tank, it is like looking for Waldo.

StarGirl said:
I do like Ballas but they get soooooo big... hilarious
And that's the unfortunate part about them.

EgorAnonymous

Thought of another one.
The nutrient gel that they pack tissue culture plants in is vomit inducing. I involuntarily shudder every time I see it and I feel nauseated. If it touches me I scream and try and get it off me asap.

Rockymountainstream

Mii said:
idk why lol. when i first saw it as a little kid i just really wanted it. it was so unique and interesting, not at all like any other fish i had ever seen, at the time the smallest pleco i knew about was bristlenose, and i only had a 10 gallon tank. i think being unable to have them made me want them even more. i just got back into fish this summer after giving up as a little kid because i was too stupid and lazy to keep them alive. and now i've just discovered fancy plecos and some of those are really cool. btw any pleco people hare what are your favorite small fancy plecos?
I like the hillstreams

EgorAnonymous

I wish I had thought of this first.

Too much emphasis has been put on over feeding and most people are not feeding enough.

Dippiedee

Cichlids with bulbous heads are ugly

Mii

Dippiedee

Mii said:
what kinds of cichlids are you referring to?
Flowerhorns, red devils, some green terrors (although I love the ones that dont get the head bulge) frontosas ect

Edit. I think it's often the males that get it?

AcornTheBetta

Dippiedee said:
Cichlids with bulbous heads are ugly
Mii said:
what kinds of cichlids are you referring to?
IMO most chichlids are super ugly. I do like apistos and multies and flowerhorns tho

Mii

AcornTheBetta said:
IMO most chichlids are super ugly. I do like apistos and multies and flowerhorns tho
how dare you !!! it's fine lol. you can like whatever you want

Frank the Fish guy

I am wickedly allergic to blood worms, in any form, live, freeze dried, or frozen. I get all itchy in my throat nose and eyes and feel like I can't breath.

My opinion is that blood worms should never be used as fish food. At least not anywhere near me!

kanzekatores

MacZ said:
Except they aren't easy, as many threads here show.
Of course things can go wrong, but the reason there are so many threads on bettas is because they're deemed as easy fish and are, for that reason and I'm sure many others, popular. I had a betta years ago when I first started fishkeeping and it got finrot. We couldn't get it to eat barely at all and the fin rot kept getting worse and worse, but it still survived for months. Since then I've thought they were the hardiest fish alive. I recognize a lot of people have problems with them though...

Mii

MacZ said:
Except they aren't easy, as many threads here show.
when i was a little kid my betta lived for 3 years despite constant ammonia spikes because i was lazy and didn't know how to stock a tank. only fish i could keep alive. my conclusion is that they will either die young for literally no reason, or they are indestructible. they're always one way or the other

Rockymountainstream

Mii said:
when i was a little kid my betta lived for 3 years despite constant ammonia spikes because i was lazy and didn't know how to stock a tank. only fish i could keep alive. my conclusion is that they will either die young for literally no reason, or they are indestructible. they're always one way or the other
I only ever had one beta at a time. My first one lived for about 4 years. I was 8 and had no clue about ammonia or cycling. I would put him in a cup with some water and scrub everything. 5 drops of safe start and he was good for another month or so. I think the betas were a lot more harder back then.

AcornTheBetta

Rockymountainstream said:
I only ever had one beta at a time. My first one lived for about 4 years. I was 8 and had no clue about ammonia or cycling. I would put him in a cup with some water and scrub everything. 5 drops of safe start and he was good for another month or so. I think the betas were a lot more harder back then.
Yeah. Nowadays bettas don't have the best genetics and are overbred

Elkwatcher

MomeWrath said:
Mine: Buying a sick betta from a big box store that will use the profit to purchase more sick fish does not qualify as a "rescue."
Rescuing is when you go to your little cousin's house/coworker's desk/church office and there is a half-rotten betta lying in the bottom of a half-gallon tank in a quart of yellow water and taking it home and giving it the care it needs.
Rescuing is when your co-worker comes into the ER you work in with a 5 bucket and a King Kong Parrot inside and asks everyone if they want a goldfish... 13 yrs later I still had the "goldfish" haha.

Elkwatcher

Dippiedee said:
1. Angel fish are boring

2. Parents shouldnt buy fish (or any pet) for their child (under 10s). You can only take care of an animal when you're at least capable of taking care of yourself. Teaching children 'responsibility' at the expense of a living creature is wrong.
That's a very good philosophy!

Mii

AcornTheBetta said:
Yeah. Nowadays bettas don't have the best genetics and are overbred
maybe we should start getting wild type bettas.

Kjeldsen

1. It's only a "rescue" if the fish improves or recovers.

2. Boycotting bettas with those bacteria-magnets that no longer function as fins will save people a lot of money in meds and may help the fish in the long run.

Rockymountainstream

Mii said:
Maybe, but where do you start? Ha ha I just found my unpopular opinion

Mii

Dippiedee said:
1. Angel fish are boring

2. Parents shouldnt buy fish (or any pet) for their child (under 10s). You can only take care of an animal when you're at least capable of taking care of yourself. Teaching children 'responsibility' at the expense of a living creature is wrong.
i think that the actual age isn't as important as the maturity level of the kids. i've met small children that i'd trust with my fish more than some of my teenage classmates. also regardless of age parents shouldn't buy kids pets unless they can take care of them if the kids do a bad job, at least for the first few tanks. once the kids have proved that they are good at fish and have surpassed the parents' fishkeeping abilities than it's ok to let them get more tanks that the parents may not be able to take care of.

AcornTheBetta

Dippiedee said:
1. Angel fish are boring

I think that it's ok, IF AND ONLY IF the parent can SUPERVISE the child and has the knowledge to teach the kid about keeping aquariums.
Mii said:
i think that the actual age isn't as important as the maturity level of the kids. i've met small children that i'd trust with my fish more than some of my teenage classmates. also regardless of age parents shouldn't buy kids pets unless they can take care of them if the kids do a bad job, at least for the first few tanks. once the kids have proved that they are good at fish and have surpassed the parents' fishkeeping abilities than it's ok to let them get more tanks that the parents may not be able to take care of.
Lol same. I would trust the very smart 7 yo who lives across the street from me more than some of my classmates (8th graders).

Mii

Kjeldsen said:

2. Boycotting bettas with those bacteria-magnets that no longer function as fins will save people a lot of money in meds and may help the fish in the long run.
honestly if i walk into a business with badly kept fish i will not buy a single product. if the fish are sick but they're treating them properly that's fine, as it happens to even the best fishkeepers, and they're taking appropriate measures to fix the problem. if they're just letting animals suffer and not doing anything about it i won't give them a single cent, be it bettas or any other fish.

Mii

AcornTheBetta said:
I think that it's ok, IF AND ONLY IF the parent can SUPERVISE the child and has the knowledge to teach the kid about keeping aquariums.

Lol same. I would trust the very smart 7 yo who lives across the street from me more than some of my classmates (8th graders).
i'm in 8th grade too. yeah a lot of my classmates are meatheads lol.

AcornTheBetta

julifhy

Kjeldsen said:

I never heard of “bacteria-magnets”. What are those?

Not sure if this is unpopular or not, but imo saltwater tanks are more interesting to look at, but freshwater tanks are more calming to look at.

AcornTheBetta

julifhy said:
I never heard of “bacteria-magnets”. What are those?

Not sure if this is unpopular or not, but saltwater tanks are more interesting to look at, but freshwater tanks are more calming to look at.
I think they are referring to the fins as bacteria magnets

julifhy

AcornTheBetta said:
I think they are referring to the fins as bacteria magnets
Ohh okay hilarious I thought she meant actual magnets lol

AcornTheBetta

julifhy said:
Ohh okay hilarious I thought she meant actual magnets lol
Nope. I agree with them tho. Longfin betta's fins are literal bacteria nets. I thought of a brilliant tag line for WCMM lol. Harder to kill than keep alive.

aquachris

Here's two that come to mind:
- Test strips are JUST FINE! (see next one)
- What works for me, works for me. What works for you, works for you. These two things are not mutually inclusive

JettsPapa

AcornTheBetta said:
Do you include angelfish in that statement?

The_fishy

Mii said:
I love my wilds!

AcornTheBetta

The_fishy

AcornTheBetta said:
Maybe I should get a wild type.
There are a few different general groupings of species, with some fairly similar in appearance and personality to splendens. Personally, I prefer the mouthbrooders.

AcornTheBetta

The_fishy said:
There are a few different general groupings of species, with some fairly similar in appearance and personality to splendens. Personally, I prefer the mouthbrooders.
What species are mouthbrooders?

BlueSable

xsalomexx said:
I just wanna know what are some of your guys unpopular opinions when it comes to fish.

I can't understand people who have tanks over like, 20 gallons full of fish that don't have names. I have a betta and mystery snails and I see them the same as I do my cats. So seeing people with rooms filled with fish that don't have names and call it a 'hobby' is kinda unsettling to me

I've never met somebody with the same view so I assume it's unpopular

NellysDad

Oh boy, where to start...

Bettas are awesome. Yes those "plain" green blue ones are majestic and beautiful and one of the most wonderful sights when they swim.

Cycling may be done fast but actually establishing a biological balance and not just avoiding the ammonia spikes, but actually having a cooperative ecosystem that balances out fluctuations takes months.

Bladder snails are wonderful. Yes they breed fast but they can clean through the tiniest gap and they aren't a problem if you don't give them unlimited leftover food. Besides, if you just stop and look you'll notice they look amazing and are very active all over the place.

Being cruel to fish is not OK. They deserve the respect any pet would get. Breeding means being responsible for the wellbeing of the offspring too.

"plain" grey fish are gorgeous too.

Leeman75

BlueSable said:
I can't understand people who have tanks over like, 20 gallons full of fish that don't have names. I have a betta and mystery snails and I see them the same as I do my cats. So seeing people with rooms filled with fish that don't have names and call it a 'hobby' is kinda unsettling to me

I name many of my fish, but I'm not about to try to name 10 Neon Tetras that I have in my Hexagon tank. Even if I can remember the names, I won't be able to tell apart one from the other. Schooling/Shoaling fish present a naming problem indeed.

AcornTheBetta

Leeman75 said:
I name many of my fish, but I'm not about to try to name 10 Neon Tetras that I have in my Hexagon tank. Even if I can remember the names, I won't be able to tell apart one from the other. Schooling/Shoaling fish present a naming problem indeed.
BlueSable said:

I just name the school after a group of things. EX:
8 neon tetras = The planets b/c there are 8 planets

Mii

BlueSable said:

i name the ones that i can tell apart. my otos don't get names because they all look and act so similar that i can't tell who's who. some of my fish need name but i can't think of any good ones.

JettsPapa

BlueSable said:

I have tanks with dozens of shrimp. Should I name them too? I do have one fish that I named. It's a serpae tetra that's missing an eye. I named it Jack. That's the only one of my fish, snails, or shrimp that has a name. I name pets (and sometimes cattle). To me keeping fish is a hobby, which is a separate thing from having pets.

Edit: I just remembered that my wife named the koi angelfish in my 65 gallon tank "Pinto".

kanzekatores

AcornTheBetta said:
JettsPapa said:
Do you include angelfish in that statement?
I’ve got to disagree, cichlids, rams, and apistos are the most beautiful type of fish imo. Angelfish however I can’t like for some reason. There’s a lot of fish that people keep that I have no idea why they are popular like Denison barbs. But the shape of cichlids is always so pretty to me.

Rockymountainstream

Leeman75 said:
I have 3 kohli
Leeman75 said:
I have 3 Kuhlis, l just name them "Night Radars ".

Awaken_Riceball_

Hearing someone say, "You spent $1000 just on LIGHTS?"

Me: Look at my red plants!

Frank the Fish guy

Leeman75 said:
This forum cracks me up!

Rockymountainstream

Awaken_Riceball_ said:
Hearing someone say, "You spent $1000 just on LIGHTS?"

Me: Look at my red plants!
That sounds like a complaint from parents or a spouse. At least that's what I hear a lot.

AcornTheBetta

Rockymountainstream said:
That sounds like a complaint from parents or a spouse. At least that's what I hear a lot.
Lol my parents: you could be spending your money on better things
Me: nope

Dippiedee

kanzekatores said:
I’ve got to disagree, cichlids, rams, and apistos are the most beautiful type of fish imo. Angelfish however I can’t like for some reason. There’s a lot of fish that people keep that I have no idea why they are popular like Denison barbs. But the shape of cichlids is always so pretty to me.
I agree with this except the part about denison barbs; they look great in a shoal and they dart between all the big decor. They're just an entertaining, active fish. (Plus they're big enough not to be eaten by medium sized cichlids)
-

I dont know if this is unpopular but I love the ambient noise my aquariums make. I especially love when I can position the filter out put to make that rolling water noise.

Rockymountainstream

AcornTheBetta said:
Lol my parents: you could be spending your money on better things
Me: nope
At least your not selling crack on the street corner. Not to mention, you can learn a lot from fish keeping. Budget money, science, compassion and humanity and life in general.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Find a Guru

Top Bottom