Unpopular opinions? - Page 2

mimo91088

The whole goldfish need giant tanks thing is a peeve of mine. Yes commons get huge. But I've successfully kept fancies in as low as 29 gallons. They're totally accessible to most hobbyists and I wish more people knew that. It's good we've got people to stop chucking them in bowls. But now we've gone too far the opposite direction. If you can afford 100 gallon tank that's awesome and they'll love it. But even if you can only fit a 29, loveable goldfish are within your reach.

NevermindIgnoreMe , calling you in buddy for backup when my lecture begins lol

mattgirl

mimo91088 said:
The whole goldfish need giant tanks thing is a peeve of mine. Yes commons get huge. But I've successfully kept fancies in as low as 29 gallons. They're totally accessible to most hobbyists and I wish more people knew that. It's good we've got people to stop chucking them in bowls. But now we've gone too far the opposite direction. If you can afford 100 gallon tank that's awesome and they'll love it. But even if you can only fit a 29, loveable goldfish are within your reach.

NevermindIgnoreMe , calling you in buddy for backup when my lecture begins lol
I agree. I think we have gone way overboard with the size a tank needs to be for a lot of fish, not just goldfish and even the number of fish someone has to have to keep the fish happy.

julifhy

mattgirl said:
I agree. I think we have gone way overboard with the size a tank needs to be for a lot of fish, not just goldfish and even the number of fish someone has to have to keep the fish happy.
And I agree with that lol. I see a lot of people think “bigger is better” when it really always isn’t...
I usually see this with people who own bettas and haven’t really done a lot of research. They have a betta in a small tank, a bunch of people tell them to get a bigger tank, so they get 20-55 gallon tank for a single betta?? (They also don’t cycle the tank, but people see a huge tank, so they think the fish is “spoiled” )

babykitten

shrimpyay

My unpopular opinion is that I don't aesthetically like the look of big fish in tanks. Those tanks always look sparse and boring to me (which, I get--the big guys need a lot of space, and for tanks that can fit into a normal house, that = fewer fish!), and it seems most of the big fish have a war against plants, so it's always mostly barren. Anyways, I just prefer the look of BIG TANK with lots of tiny tiny fish

Not, alas, that I have a big tank, or lots of fish... Maybe one day.

AcornTheBetta

My unpopular opinion: Small fish look better in big tanks than big fish do.

JamieLu

babykitten said:
Me too. My betta fish from about a year ago died of finrot and my water parameters were perfect. I tested them.
I have one now with persistent fin rot. Not severe but everytime some of it heals other parts start to be affected. I also have perfect params, have tried daily changes, salt, tannins and even antibiotics. Removed all sharp stuff, etc. Sometimes i think its just genetics

MacZ

JamieLu said:
Sometimes i think its just genetics
There are few species of domestic fish more overbred than bettas. And with massproduction come multiresistent pathogens.

Which is one of my unpopular opinions: Keeping less overbred fish saves you A LOT in meds and nerves.

Mazeus

Unpopular opinion- Aggressive cichlid tanks are anxiety enducing.

Dippiedee

I think this is unpopular; generally I much prefer rocky tanks with some wood than planted tanks. Hence why I tend to think saltwater tanks are prettier than freshwater ones

faydout

Dippiedee said:
I much prefer rocky tanks with some wood
I've purposefully been not posting any pictures of the tank I've been building for a few months now. I scaped it to look like a bog, with tree stumps, some spider wood, a branch or two, leaf litter and about 15 lbs of seiryu. It is planted, but I did it looking for oddballs that look like they would fit the motif. Dwarf lily's (just got my first lily pad on the surface this week), banana plants, buce godzilla, anubias peite nana, anubias coffefolia, and a couple of crypt wenditi (red) that have both started coming back nicely from the initial melt. I need to get the coffefolia out of the pot and attached to the spider wood this weekend because the Corys and Apistos are paid for and should be here next Tuesday.

AvalancheDave

JamieLu said:
I have one now with persistent fin rot. Not severe but everytime some of it heals other parts start to be affected. I also have perfect params, have tried daily changes, salt, tannins and even antibiotics. Removed all sharp stuff, etc. Sometimes i think its just genetics
The one time I had fin rot was because I had organic waste hidden in the filter that I was unaware of. The fin rot went away when I cleaned it out.

There may be times when you do need antibiotics but most of the antibiotics sold to aquarists are for Gram positive bacteria, under-dosed, not absorbed from water, or ineffective for various other reasons.

RomanNoodles96

AvalancheDave said:
The one time I had fin rot was because I had organic waste hidden in the filter that I was unaware of. The fin rot went away when I cleaned it out.

There may be times when you do need antibiotics but most of the antibiotics sold to aquarists are for Gram positive bacteria, under-dosed, not absorbed from water, or ineffective for various other reasons.
I agree, kanaplex I feel is a prime example of that. It never healed my fish, but it did kill my plants and snails.

AvalancheDave

RomanNoodles96 said:
I agree, kanaplex I feel is a prime example of that. It never healed my fish, but it did kill my plants and snails.
Yeah, Kanaplex is under-dosed by a huge amount. Nitrofurans are unstable in water and sensitive to light. Furan-2 might be under-dosed as well. I've heard that General Cure is under-dosed but haven't done the math myself (I've always used other sources of metronidazole and praziquantel). Metronidazole might not be absorbed from water as there are studies where it's worked on ich and other organisms when ingested but not when dosed in the water.

Erythromycin works on Gram positive bacteria. Bad news is that nearly all bacteria that infect fish are Gram negative. It's also not absorbed from the water. For a lot of aquarists, it's the first antibiotic they try. It should actually be the last.

Metronidazole also only works on anaerobic organisms and aquarists will almost never encounter anaerobic bacterial infections.

JVogel

You can keep large cichlids with plants!

Magnus919 said:
Undergravel filters are undervalued.
I've never understood the concept

kanzekatores

1. When the day is done, they're fish in boxes of water, and that matters more than tank size
2. Adding things to the water and buying new products is not the way to fix problems. You don't want product soup, you want water. So solve things naturally.
3. Saltwater is as hard as you make it.

RomanNoodles96

AvalancheDave said:
Yeah, Kanaplex is under-dosed by a huge amount. Nitrofurans are unstable in water and sensitive to light. Furan-2 might be under-dosed as well. I've heard that General Cure is under-dosed but haven't done the math myself (I've always used other sources of metronidazole and praziquantel). Metronidazole might not be absorbed from water as there are studies where it's worked on ich and other organisms when ingested but not when dosed in the water.

Erythromycin works on Gram positive bacteria. Bad news is that nearly all bacteria that infect fish are Gram negative. It's also not absorbed from the water. For a lot of aquarists, it's the first antibiotic they try. It should actually be the last.

Metronidazole also only works on anaerobic organisms and aquarists will almost never encounter anaerobic bacterial infections.
I've had good success in the past with furan-2, but I only use it when natural remedies don't work. I also have another thread up talking about how general cure and if its worth. PraziPro has a higher concentration of praziquantel than general cure, but general cure contains metronidazole. I haven't heard about metronidazole being water soluble, but if you say it then its likely true as you seem to know what you're talking about.

MacZ

kanzekatores said:
1. When the day is done, they're fish in boxes of water, and that matters more than tank size
2. Adding things to the water and buying new products is not the way to fix problems. You don't want product soup, you want water. So solve things naturally.
3. Saltwater is as hard as you make it.
1. Yep.
2. Yep!
3. It's super easy not to do it, so: Yes, absolutely correct.

Frank the Fish guy

JVogel said:
I've never understood the concept
Undergravel filters pull water through the entire gravel substrate and create huge surface area for biological filtration. Much more biofilter than a typical hang on back filter. A biofilter needs the water to flow over the surface where the colony lives. This is because the biofilter is static so the water needs to move past it.

The benefit is that you have the gravel anyways. Sure you could add a big canister filter to accomplish the same thing. The under gravel filter is simply an internal filter with a large surface area. It is the same principal as all aquarium filters with regards to bio filtration. It's just we can get it for free almost.

The flow rate is the most important thing, so using a strong power head is better than just an air stone. Keep the water moving. As long as the power head is strong enough, the filter will not get clogged and does not need regular cleaning.

The only controversy is that they reduce the need for more expensive canister filters and filter media. Which is only controversial if you are selling canister filters and media.

mimo91088

Frank the Fish guy said:
Undergravel filters pull water through the entire gravel substrate and create huge surface area for biological filtration. Much more biofilter than a typical hang on back filter. A biofilter needs the water to flow over the surface where the colony lives. This is because the biofilter is static so the water needs to move past it.

The benefit is that you have the gravel anyways. Sure you could add a big canister filter to accomplish the same thing. The under gravel filter is simply an internal filter with a large surface area. It is the same principal as all aquarium filters with regards to bio filtration. It's just we can get it for free almost.

The flow rate is the most important thing, so using a strong power head is better than just an air stone. Keep the water moving. As long as the power head is strong enough, the filter will not get clogged and does not need regular cleaning.

The only controversy is that they reduce the need for more expensive canister filters and filter media. Which is only controversial if you are selling canister filters and media.
I've never used one but I've always been intrigued. You just sold me. Idk when I'm going to set up my next tank, but I'm going to try one next chance I get.

faydout

Frank the Fish guy said:
Which is only controversial if you are selling canister filters and media.
Or if you want to use sand, and some stocking decisions would make ugf's not the correct choice.

RomanNoodles96

Do you have to clean the undergravel filters? How would you do that?

Donovan Jones

My unpopular opinion is snails, copepods, seed shrimp, etc. Are good to have in a tank. Rarely harmful, except one batch of seed shrimp I had that possibly killed ramshorns religiously, they make a better looking and more entertaining aquarium and when they explode it's usually our fault, and the harm is caused when the problem, aka decomposing plants and food, is removed and they need another food source or they die

Frank the Fish guy

faydout said:
Or if you want to use sand, and some stocking decisions would make ugf's not the correct choice.
Right. You need the water to flow through the gravel. Also plants don't like UGFs since they oxygenate the roots. Plants prefer low oxygen in the bed.

mimo91088

Donovan Jones said:
My unpopular opinion is snails, copepods, seed shrimp, etc. Are good to have in a tank. Rarely harmful, except one batch of seed shrimp I had that possibly killed ramshorns religiously, they make a better looking and more entertaining aquarium and when they explode it's usually our fault, and the harm is caused when the problem, aka decomposing plants and food, is removed and they need another food source or they die
Couldn't agree more. I spend a lot of time on this forum defending the humble snail.

Frank the Fish guy

RomanNoodles96 said:
Do you have to clean the undergravel filters? How would you do that?
If you allow them to clog so the water can't flow, the you have to free them back up by vacuuming. But if you use a strong enough flow (good power head) then they don't clog and never need cleaning. The brown gook that accumulates is actually the biofloc that is part of the bio filter. It is the digested poop and food, digested by the heterotrophic bacteria that lives in the well oxygenated bed. If it clogs, then you either have too much waste load, or power heads are not strong enough.

mimo91088

Frank the Fish guy said:
heterotrophic bacteria
Dude sweet vocab word. No sarcasm. Genuinely impressed. I've been in the hobby 9 years and I just had to google that. LOL.

babykitten

JamieLu said:
Mine was a Petco betta. I think he got bad genetics since even with medicine he didnt make it

AvalancheDave

babykitten said:
Mine was a Petco betta. I think he got bad genetics since even with medicine he didnt make it
Most of the meds sold to aquarists don't work very well if at all.

julifhy

Colored gravel isn’t that bad... except for the barf colored one :yuck:

KatLovesCoffee

Here it goes...Plecos are not pretty fish. They’re creepy. Their unwavering, cold gaze and round, sucky mouth parts affixed to the glass that show a gaping, black hole—a one way entrance to “The Void of No Return” —freak me out enough to do a heeby jeeby dance away from them and avoid eye contact.
No offense pleco lovers. I just can’t.

AcornTheBetta

KatLovesCoffee said:
Here it goes...Plecos are not pretty fish. They’re creepy. Their unwavering, cold gaze and round, sucky mouth parts affixed to the glass that show a gaping, black hole—a one way entrance to “The Void of No Return” —freak me out enough to do a heeby jeeby dance away from them and avoid eye contact.
How dare you ! Lol. I see what your saying. Still, I LUV PLECOZZZ! Unpopular opinion (maybe idk) dwarf hair grass sucks!

Mii

some people will probably yell at me for this, but i am only saying from personal experience. i think different types of corydoras will school together so you can mix and match as you please. also before someone tells me that you can't mix tetras so why should corys be any different, as i've seen this argument before, i'd like to point out that tetras aren't all the same genus, and are not at all related to corys, so why are they even relevant to cory care?

KatLovesCoffee

AcornTheBetta said:
How dare you ! Lol. I see what your saying. Still, I LUV PLECOZZZ! Unpopular opinion (maybe idk) dwarf hair grass sucks!
Help me. Help me understand, pleco people. I can sometimes learn to find things that creep me out endearing...I’ll try. Why do people love these things?

mimo91088

KatLovesCoffee said:
Help me. Help me understand, pleco people. I can sometimes learn to find things that creep me out endearing...I’ll try. Why do people love these things?
I agree with you that they're ugly as sin. But I still find them interesting from an evolution standpoint. Some of them look so prehistoric.

Leeman75

KatLovesCoffee said:
I'm kind of with you. Now, I do have a pleco in 2 of my tanks, including a Bristlenose, which I think are the creepiest of the creepiies...but they serve a purpose and my BN eradicated the algae that I had in the tank he's in, so it's a love/hate sort of thing.

A201

Maybe you should check out some of the fancier Plecos.

KatLovesCoffee

A201 said:
Maybe you should check out some of the fancier Plecos.
I am resolved to be open minded

AcornTheBetta

KatLovesCoffee said:
I honestly don't know. I just love them.

StarGirl

KatLovesCoffee said:
I am resolved to be open minded
Im just happy my BN is female. It won't get those bristles.....lol

Leeman75

I like the colors and behavior of the Plecos, including my Clown, but it's just such a weird body shape.

kanzekatores

KatLovesCoffee said:
My unpopular opinion: That's how I feel about bettas. But bettas are super popular sooo...
I mean, they don't creep my out or anything, I just don't find them an attractive fish. I think the reason people are so into them is because of how easy they are

KatLovesCoffee

kanzekatores said:
My unpopular opinion: That's how I feel about bettas. But bettas are super popular sooo...
I mean, they don't creep my out or anything, I just don't find them an attractive fish. I think the reason people are so into them is because of how easy they are
I’m chuckling a little at our vast differences, since this is my current shirt situation.

StarGirl

KatLovesCoffee said:
I’m chuckling a little at our vast differences, since this is my current shirt situation.
Haha I have a Pleco and a Betta. I don't care much for the giant fish. Oscars, Ballas fish like that. I would rather have 100 little fish than 1 big one any day.

MacZ

kanzekatores said:
I think the reason people are so into them is because of how easy they are
Except they aren't easy, as many threads here show.

Jbuds

Betta'sAnonymous said:
This one might make some heads spin: unpopular opinion, LFSs are not always the place to go.
I learned that recently. I will be ordering fish from reputable breederw and have them shipped to my house.

AcornTheBetta

StarGirl said:
Haha I have a Pleco and a Betta. I don't care much for the giant fish. Oscars, Ballas fish like that. I would rather have 100 little fish than 1 big one any day.
I agree! Big fish, not my jam.
MacZ said:
Except they aren't easy, as many threads here show.
That is true. The best beginner fish is White Cloud Mountain Minnow. They are harder to kill than to keep alive.
Jbuds said:
I learned that recently. I will be ordering fish from reputable breederw and have them shipped to my house.
Yeah my lfs have terrible plant selection, but good fish selection.

Dippiedee

So apparently my unpopular opinion is that I love plecos, bettas and big fish lol especially severums. A giant tank with 3 or 4 severums is a tank well stocked

Edit: and bala sharks are my dream fish, I really hope to have a tank capable of housing them one day.

Mii

Dippiedee said:
So apparently my unpopular opinion is that I love plecos, bettas and big fish lol especially severums. A giant tank with 3 or 4 severums is a tank well stocked
i love severums! if only i had room for them

KatLovesCoffee said:
idk why lol. when i first saw it as a little kid i just really wanted it. it was so unique and interesting, not at all like any other fish i had ever seen, at the time the smallest pleco i knew about was bristlenose, and i only had a 10 gallon tank. i think being unable to have them made me want them even more. i just got back into fish this summer after giving up as a little kid because i was too stupid and lazy to keep them alive. and now i've just discovered fancy plecos and some of those are really cool. btw any pleco people hare what are your favorite small fancy plecos?

EgorAnonymous

1. Fish that look like or are shaped like snakes (or eels) are gross and creepy.

2. I'm getting another aquarium and I don't care how mad my husband gets.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom