Unpopular opinions? - Page 16

RomanNoodles96

Member
Mii said:
Yeah. Whenever I see someone with a fishbowl I just instantly hate them.

Usually ammonia spike isn't because of overstocking, but because they added the fish too fast without waiting in between for their bacteria to catch up. Overstocked usually means crazy high nitrate unless you're REALLY overstocked, as in so overstocked your bacteria CAN'T keep up at all, but that can usually be solved by adding another filter.
I dont think you should hate someone just because they are keeping fish wrong. A lot of people have a phase of bad fish keeping (including me) and its not really there fault. Information for fish is not readily available, even on the internet a lot of information is bad.

I used to keep 3 comet goldfish in a 1 gallon fish bowl, 20+ in a 10 gallon, and another 10 gallon with 30+ mollies. Was that wrong? Yes obviously and I still regret it, but I was 10-12 at that time and I didn't know any better. I watched this "professional" video and followed all the steps, then listened to the advice given at Walmart.

The thing about our society is for the most part ( at least in the US) fish are not seen as serious pets at all to your average person. If information for proper fishkeeping was more readily available and easier to get to, that would be great, but unfortunately that's not how it is.

I do agree though that improper fishkeeping is bad and should be stopped.
 

YellowGuppy

Member
julifhy said:
I would like to take this back. All corydoras are cute!
It's an unpopular opinion so unpopular, even you didn't agree with yourself!
 

Dippiedee

Member
RomanNoodles96 said:
I dont think you should hate someone just because they are keeping fish wrong. A lot of people have a phase of bad fish keeping (including me) and its not really there fault. Information for fish is not readily available, even on the internet a lot of information is bad.

I used to keep 3 comet goldfish in a 1 gallon fish bowl, 20+ in a 10 gallon, and another 10 gallon with 30+ mollies. Was that wrong? Yes obviously and I still regret it, but I was 10-12 at that time and I didn't know any better. I watched this "professional" video and followed all the steps, then listened to the advice given at Walmart.

The thing about our society is for the most part ( at least in the US) fish are not seen as serious pets at all to your average person. If information for proper fishkeeping was more readily available and easier to get to, that would be great, but unfortunately that's not how it is.

I do agree though that improper fishkeeping is bad and should be stopped.
Okay, so again back to my OG statement, all you have to do is look and see the fish cannot move and know it is wrong. Infomation not readily available doesnt change the fact you can physically see the animal has no space to move. How can you look at that and think its okay, regardless of what you have or haven't been told? There's just no excuse for it IMO

Except children; children don't know any better.

Edit: "I dont think you should hate someone just because they are keeping fish wrong." I think feeling resentful towards people who are actively practising animal cruelty is fair.
 

RomanNoodles96

Member
Dippiedee said:
Okay, so again back to my OG statement, all you have to do is look and see the fish cannot move and know it is wrong. Infomation not readily available doesnt change the fact you can physically see the animal has no space to move. How can you look at that and think its okay, regardless of what you have or haven't been told? There's just no excuse for it IMO

Except children; children don't know any better.

Edit: "I dont think you should hate someone just because they are keeping fish wrong." I think feeling resentful towards people who are actively practising animal cruelty is fair.
It's just not that simple though. If a fish owner looks in a bowl and sees it cannot move, then yes they should know it's time to move it. But you have to realize that not everyone sees fish on the same level as other animals. They think the fish is fine living like that, and its thriving. This in itself is wrong, but you can't blame people. As I said, fish are portrayed everywhere as more of a commodity than a pet. In most movies you watch, you can see in the background goldfish being kept in bowls, or on that one show called tanked, fish are kept in inadequate conditions. Heck even pet stores themselves show/keep fish in tiny bowls or tanks. The fish owners see that the fish can't move, but they also see "experts" or organizations that specialize in the fishkeeping field to the exact same thing.

Even if this doesnt convince you, hatred isn't going to solve anything is it?

Edit: either way, I think this debate should end here. I respect your opinion, and if you don't respect mine that's fine.
 

Mii

Member
RomanNoodles96 said:
I dont think you should hate someone just because they are keeping fish wrong. A lot of people have a phase of bad fish keeping (including me) and its not really there fault. Information for fish is not readily available, even on the internet a lot of information is bad.

I used to keep 3 comet goldfish in a 1 gallon fish bowl, 20+ in a 10 gallon, and another 10 gallon with 30+ mollies. Was that wrong? Yes obviously and I still regret it, but I was 10-12 at that time and I didn't know any better. I watched this "professional" video and followed all the steps, then listened to the advice given at Walmart.

The thing about our society is for the most part ( at least in the US) fish are not seen as serious pets at all to your average person. If information for proper fishkeeping was more readily available and easier to get to, that would be great, but unfortunately that's not how it is.

I do agree though that improper fishkeeping is bad and should be stopped.
I can't blame a little kid, but any adult or teen who is just too lazy to look up how to keep a pet before they buy it, something is wrong with them. Same goes for the parents who let their little kids take bad care of pets.
 

julifhy

Member
Dippiedee said:
Okay, so again back to my OG statement, all you have to do is look and see the fish cannot move and know it is wrong. Infomation not readily available doesnt change the fact you can physically see the animal has no space to move. How can you look at that and think its okay, regardless of what you have or haven't been told? There's just no excuse for it IMO

Except children; children don't know any better.

Edit: "I dont think you should hate someone just because they are keeping fish wrong." I think feeling resentful towards people who are actively practising animal cruelty is fair.
I think people a lot of people think: movement = swimming. A fish can move around in a cup or small bowl, but it’s not necessary swimming. Many people don’t see the difference

“Except children; children don't know any better.”
I agree, and I want to add that the parent should still be responsible for the pet.
I hate to see parents give their kid a pet to “teach responsibility”. Imo it encourages kids to be irresponsible (This is coming from a personal experience lol)
 
  • Moderator

Coradee

Moderator
Member
Let’s not go any further down this road, we’re here to help & advise not to look down on or judge others, remember we were all beginners once & most likely made the same or similar mistakes.
 

Dippiedee

Member
RomanNoodles96 said:
Edit: either way, I think this debate should end here. I respect your opinion, and if you don't respect mine that's fine.
I never said I don't respect your opinion I just wanted to further explain mine as its a subject I feel passionate about. Apologises if you felt disrespected, that was not my intent.
 

RomanNoodles96

Member
Dippiedee said:
I never said I don't respect your opinion I just wanted to further explain mine as its a subject I feel passionate about. Apologises if you felt disrespected, that was not my intent.
It's all good, I was mistaken. Thanks for being respectful about this and not getting angry.
 

NevermindIgnoreMe

Member

Hugooo

Member
My 7-year-old brother has a betta. Of course, in a 0.5 gallon, unfiltered, unheated, uncycled "tank". See pic below so you know why I put tank in apostrophes. I don't have any control over it. My mom thinks it's fine because it's just a small betta. But my heart aches for it, because it literally moves like once a day. I measure the temp sometimes, it's usually less than 70. When we were on vacation, our caretaker almost flushed it down the toilet because she thought it was dead. My mom merely shrugged it off and said "oh it's because it's old". She doesn't even see the problem!! It makes so angry. We've had that betta for almost three years and it's lived like that it's entire life.

Sorry for the ramble, I guess my unpopular opinion (at least to non-Fishlorians) is that people that don't do research on a living being (including fish, plants, etc) should not be able to keep it!!! :mad:
NevermindIgnoreMe said:
I'll take mystery snails over bettas any day. Bettas are kinda boring tbh IMO.
I am in love with my new mystery snail, it has so much personality!
 

AcornTheBetta

Member
Lo
Hugooo said:
My 7-year-old brother has a betta. Of course, in a 0.5 gallon, unfiltered, unheated, uncycled "tank". See pic below so you know why I put tank in apostrophes. I don't have any control over it. My mom thinks it's fine because it's just a small betta. But my heart aches for it, because it literally moves like once a day. I measure the temp sometimes, it's usually less than 70. When we were on vacation, our caretaker almost flushed it down the toilet because she thought it was dead. My mom merely shrugged it off and said "oh it's because it's old". She doesn't even see the problem!! It makes so angry. We've had that betta for almost three years and it's lived like that it's entire life.

Sorry for the ramble, I guess my unpopular opinion (at least to non-Fishlorians) is that people that don't do research on a living being (including fish, plants, etc) should not be able to keep it!!! :mad:

I am in love with my new mystery snail, it has so much personality!
AHHHHHHHH! That's so sad. Maybe you can print out some articles for your mom and your brother to read so they can understand proper care? Do you have a tank he could go in?
 

Hugooo

Member
AcornTheBetta said:
Lo

AHHHHHHHH! That's so sad. Maybe you can print out some articles for your mom and your brother to read so they can understand proper care? Do you have a tank he could go in?
Thanks for the ideas Actually, I taught my brother some aquarium care, so he wants a new tank as much as me. My mom, however, thinks it's a waste of money. She doesn't think a betta deserves even a 3.5 gallon tbh. Also, not sure if you know this, but is there anyway a male betta can be with other (peaceful) fish? Thanks!
 

V1K

Member
Hugooo said:
Thanks for the ideas Actually, I taught my brother some aquarium care, so he wants a new tank as much as me. My mom, however, thinks it's a waste of money. She doesn't think a betta deserves even a 3.5 gallon tbh. Also, not sure if you know this, but is there anyway a male betta can be with other (peaceful) fish? Thanks!
If you have some savings, you could give your brother the bigger tank, at least a few gallons, as a birthday gift or something, your mum would have no way to object. Until you do that, tankmates are obviously out of question.
 

Dippiedee

Member
V1K said:
If you have some savings, you could give your brother the bigger tank, at least a few gallons, as a birthday gift or something, your mum would have no way to object. Until you do that, tankmates are obviously out of question.
Or even just a decent sized plastic tub if funds are tight, won't look as good but still an improvement.

How does America's laws even allow for those to be advertised for fish? Absurd
 

V1K

Member
Dippiedee said:
Or even just a decent sized plastic tub if funds are tight, won't look as good but still an improvement.

How does America's laws even allow for those to be advertised for fish? Absurd
The mom migh object if it looks ugly. Not that the current one is an apex of aesthetics, but moms can be weird that way.
 

YellowGuppy

Member
People who feel bad about baby guppies (or any fry, snails, shrimp, etc.) getting eaten in their tanks should take a closer look at the ingredients of their favourite fish foods.

Most fish eat fish. Just because it's a flake doesn't mean it isn't another fish.
 

Lebeeze

Member
YellowGuppy said:
People who feel bad about baby guppies (or any fry, snails, shrimp, etc.) getting eaten in their tanks should take a closer look at the ingredients of their favourite fish foods.

Most fish eat fish. Just because it's a flake doesn't mean it isn't another fish.
Yeah but that doesn't always mean we like watching living things die. I am a meat eater but it doesn't mean I want to slaughter cows.
 

Betta'sAnonymous

Member
Lebeeze said:
Yeah but that doesn't always mean we like watching living things die. I am a meat eater but it doesn't mean I want to slaughter cows.
So, nature needs to change the rules of nature because you don't like certain aspects of keeping and observing nature?
Lebeeze said:
Yeah but that doesn't always mean we like watching living things die. I am a meat eater but it doesn't mean I want to slaughter cows.
So, nature needs to change the rules of nature because you don't like certain aspects of keeping and observing nature?
 

erinw347

Member
Betta'sAnonymous said:
So, nature needs to change the rules of nature because you don't like certain aspects of keeping and observing nature?

So, nature needs to change the rules of nature because you don't like certain aspects of keeping and observing nature?
Of course we know that animals will get eaten in nature. That doesn’t mean we want to see it or encourage it in our own tanks.
 

Betta'sAnonymous

Member
erinw347 said:
Of course we know that animals will get eaten in nature. That doesn’t mean we want to see it or encourage it in our own tanks.
See, i think you come from a place i just don't understand. Not your fault. Years of hunting and catching what i was going to eat, being on the farm helping slaughter dinner and years of learning and training to be a killing machine probably desensitized me more than even i know.
 

JettsPapa

Member
Lebeeze said:
Yeah but that doesn't always mean we like watching living things die. I am a meat eater but it doesn't mean I want to slaughter cows.
I'm also a meat eater, and I grew up on a farm where we raised and butchered almost all our meat, but that doesn't mean I enjoy the process. It's just a fact of life. If you're going to eat meat then someone has to butcher the animals.
 

Lebeeze

Member
Betta'sAnonymous said:
So, nature needs to change the rules of nature because you don't like certain aspects of keeping and observing nature?

So, nature needs to change the rules of nature because you don't like certain aspects of keeping and observing nature?
Where in anything I wrote did you get this nonsense? If you want to be overdramatic do it on your own time don't put words in my mouth .
 

Kribensis27

Member
Uh oh this thread gettin SPICY. This type of entertainment is why I love the internet! Calm down people, we don't want to annoy the mods!
 

Betta'sAnonymous

Member
Lebeeze said:
Where in anything I wrote did you get this nonsense? If you want to be overdramatic do it on your own time don't put words in my mouth .
Good response. Probably conditioning. I have had similar conversations that that was exactly what people wanted. My bad.
 

erinw347

Member
Betta'sAnonymous said:
See, i think you come from a place i just don't understand. Not your fault. Years of hunting and catching what i was going to eat, being on the farm helping slaughter dinner and years of learning and training to be a killing machine probably desensitized me more than even i know.
I did not grow up on the farm. I love animals way too much.

There is a difference though, between it being in the wild and in a fish tank. One these animals are in my care. Since my fish have plenty to eat and don’t need to eat anything else to survive, it seems cruel or rather unnecessary to me to let the small creature die since my fish are plenty fed. Two, it just bothers me to see even little creatures die (even in a natural way like that) Even if I know it’s natural, I still feel for the animal. If I see it in nature however, I won’t stop it since the animal needs to eat (unless the predator is an invasive species; but that’s a whole other rant)
JettsPapa said:
I'm also a meat eater, and I grew up on a farm where we raised and butchered almost all our meat, but that doesn't mean I enjoy the process. It's just a fact of life. If you're going to eat meat then someone has to butcher the animals.
This is true. I would like to go vegetarian at some point but I can’t this moment due to health concerns. However I don’t find it unethical to eat animals. We are omnivores after all, we’re made to. I do think it’s important that we get our meat properly however. Theres a lot of mass production that really hurts the animals.

I will eat meat. I will feed my fish and my cats animals and animal products. I just don’t like seeing the animals die (no matter how small) it’s best if they’re already dead when I receive them.
Betta'sAnonymous said:
So, nature needs to change the rules of nature because you don't like certain aspects of keeping and observing nature?

So, nature needs to change the rules of nature because you don't like certain aspects of keeping and observing nature?
Lebeeze said:
Where in anything I wrote did you get this nonsense? If you want to be overdramatic do it on your own time don't put words in my mouth .
Also you two be nice lol. Don’t get yourself banned o_O
 

Lebeeze

Member
I apologize i overreacted. Not wanting to start any internet drama. I will get along with everyone.
 

Betta'sAnonymous

Member
Lebeeze said:
I apologize i overreacted. Not wanting to start any internet drama. I will get along with everyone.
Thanks for the reminder that i get a bit out of line sometimes, though
 

V1K

Member
I bet this whole bit will be deleted as not being kid-friendly.
 

Mii

Member
Lebeeze said:
Yeah but that doesn't always mean we like watching living things die. I am a meat eater but it doesn't mean I want to slaughter cows.
I don't eat it because I know that an animal died even if I didn't see it happen. I'm ok with eating large fish because they eat fish so I'm not actually increasing the amount of fish that get eaten because that big fish would eat another fish if it didn't get eaten. I still won't eat things like tilapia because it's a cichlid and I think of cichlids as pets.
 

Chalupacabra

Member
Mii said:
I still won't eat things like tilapia because it's a cichlid and I think of cichlids as pets.
Huh. Learn something new every day.
 

Kribensis27

Member
Mii said:
I still won't eat things like tilapia because it's a cichlid and I think of cichlids as pets.
Same, I won’t eat any type of “pet” fish if I have the option. Of course I will if I have to, but it just feels wrong. Eating something that’s a close relative of one of my beloved pets is not a feeling I like.
 

YellowGuppy

Member
Crayfish are delicious.
So are shrimp.

...and many other things that live in water.
 

Mii

Member
YellowGuppy said:
Crayfish are delicious.
So are shrimp.

...and many other things that live in water.
I don't feel bad about shrimp and stuff because they aren't really intelegent.
 

AcornTheBetta

Member
Mii said:
I don't feel bad about shrimp and stuff because they aren't really intelegent.
ILM! Invert lives matter!
 

V1K

Member
Mii said:
I'm ok with eating large fish because they eat fish so I'm not actually increasing the amount of fish that get eaten because that big fish would eat another fish if it didn't get eaten.
I've read it's actually more eco-friendly to eat small fish, the lower in a food chain the better, because lower food chain levels have more mass and the risk of overfishing is minimized. Additionally, higher levels have more pollution in them due to bioaccumulation. And if it's farm grown, they'd need to feed predatory fish other fish, so again, eating herbivores makes more sense. So you might revise your thinking.
 

YellowGuppy

Member
Mii said:
I don't feel bad about shrimp and stuff because they aren't really intelegent.
Sorry, I can't not point this out:

The word you're looking for is "intelligent".
 

StarGirl

Member
The only meat I wouldn't eat is cat, dog, horse or rodent animals. I would croak without meat....lol
 

Leeman75

Member
StarGirl said:
The only meat I wouldn't eat is cat, dog, horse or rodent animals. I would croak without meat....lol
So no frogs either?
 

Lebeeze

Member
Betta'sAnonymous said:
Good response. Probably conditioning. I have had similar conversations that that was exactly what people wanted. My bad.
Sorry again about yesterday. I dont know why I got so angry over something so small. Ive been having a rough couple months but that's not your fault. Hopefully we can just forget about it and move on!!
 

NevermindIgnoreMe

Member
Mii said:
I don't eat it because I know that an animal died even if I didn't see it happen. I'm ok with eating large fish because they eat fish so I'm not actually increasing the amount of fish that get eaten because that big fish would eat another fish if it didn't get eaten. I still won't eat things like tilapia because it's a cichlid and I think of cichlids as pets.
So basically fish are friends not food.
Couldn't resist a Finding Nemo reference. Cowardlyslimeball

Like how I couldn't eat a carp because they're related/ancestors to goldfish.
 

Jesterrace

Member
goldface said:
Well said. I think people who recommend that freshwater should be a prerequisite to saltwater generally have zero experience with saltwater.

Also, great point about Seachem Prime, although I'll go further and say it shouldn't be used as anything other than a de-chlorinator (Perhaps another unpopular opinion?).
Exactly. It's the same people who try and talk people out of it and say how hard it is and once again they have ZERO saltwater keeping experience and are just regurgitating bad info they hear from other people. I think the most idiotic one I have heard though was a guy on another group who tried to claim that it was crucial that a person have a CO2 infused planted tank to understand water chemistry before they ever even attempted a Fish Only Saltwater Tank and claiming it was so much harder to do a Fish Only Saltwater Tank than a CO2 infused planted freshwater setup.

Also agree on Seachem Prime. Drives me bonkers when a newbie posts that they have 1ppm Ammonia or Nitrites OR HIGHER IN THEIR TAPWATER and people just tell them to do extra Prime and call it good. IMHO if it's that way long term an RO system should be looked into.
 

V1K

Member
StarGirl said:
The only meat I wouldn't eat is cat, dog, horse or rodent animals. I would croak without meat....lol
I'd put all primates to the top of that list. And insert dolphins in it too. I would eat, and have eaten, some rodents, specifically coypu and beaver.
 

JettsPapa

Member
V1K said:
I'd put all primates to the top of that list. And insert dolphins in it too. I would eat, and have eaten, some rodents, specifically coypu and beaver.
Not knowing what it was ahead of time I tried barbecued nutria once about 25 years ago (no, I wasn't in Louisiana, but the people that cooked it were visiting from there). It wasn't bad.
 

V1K

Member
JettsPapa said:
Not knowing what it was ahead of time I tried barbecued nutria once about 25 years ago (no, I wasn't in Louisiana, but the people that cooked it were visiting from there). It wasn't bad.
As if I knew what Louisiana has to do with nutria . I ate mine as a potato kugel filling.
 

goldface

Member
V1K said:
I would eat, and have eaten, some rodents, specifically coypu and beaver.
So you'd eat hamsters and gerbils . . . That's definitely an unpopular opinion. (Yes, I'm just putting words in your mouth.)
 

NevermindIgnoreMe

Member
JettsPapa said:
Not knowing what it was ahead of time I tried barbecued nutria once about 25 years ago (no, I wasn't in Louisiana, but the people that cooked it were visiting from there). It wasn't bad.
I would eat an invasive species, even if it's a rodent. I wonder what lionfish tastes like, I had a teacher once who loved it. So I guess that's my unpopular opinion.
 

V1K

Member
goldface said:
So you'd eat hamsters and gerbils . . . That's definitely an unpopular opinion. (Yes, I'm just putting words in your mouth.)
There's not much to eat there. Guinea pig, on the other hand, if it really came to it... :rolleyes:
 

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Find a Guru

Top Bottom