Unpopular opinions? - Page 15

LadfromLondon

Not sure if this has been said but I find lots of people are way too conservative about stocking. Where some would see an issue with say, 15 Ember Tetras in a 10G, I don’t.

I think understocking really takes away from the joy of fishkeeping. Be responsible, but also play around a little.

Fishproblem

SouthAmericanCichlids said:
Well it said in the first avatar, they got there powers from the first benders of the element (Dragon, blind badger mole, etc.) But in Korra it is from giant lion turtle, and then in the whole harmonic convergence (Well after that and vatuu is destroying evrything) when he is deeated, that makes 0 scense, in short the first, third, and 4th seasons were great. The 2nd is trash. imo

How dare you lol.
My dude how on earth have I not realized/come across that before. That does make absolutely no sense.

I thought Legend of Korra felt rushed and half-baked (which, from what I've read, it was), but I really loved the characters. Wish they'd all been done more justice.

goldface

mimo91088 said:
I still haven't seen either of these shows lol
I believe it's for kids 3 and under.

Betta'sAnonymous

Dippiedee said:
In fairness, you're only young and free of responsibility once. When your friend is grown with a full time job, married, kids or whatever the future holds, there will be very little time left to leisure like that. IMO there's nothing wrong with 6+ hours of gaming (or any hobby) when you're a kid; make the most of all the free time you have while you have it.

Edit: lol okay I read this back and I just know 14 year old me would have rolled her eyes at somebody telling me this it is true though
What is free time?

Mii

LadfromLondon said:
Not sure if this has been said but I find lots of people are way too conservative about stocking. Where some would see an issue with say, 15 Ember Tetras in a 10G, I don’t.

I think understocking really takes away from the joy of fishkeeping. Be responsible, but also play around a little.
I agree. I think the main problem is that people don't wait in between getting more fish, not that people have too many fish.

Fishcat

I just gotta say - how is it that by far the most-liked comment I’ve ever made here is two simple sentences about algae?????

Ghelfaire

Here's a real unpopular opinion. If love songs can play on the radio year round (instead of just February) then people shouldn't complain about Christmas songs in November.
(I'm expecting some hate for this one)

Kribensis27

Ghelfaire said:
Here's a real unpopular opinion. If love songs can play on the radio year round (instead of just February) then people shouldn't complain about Christmas songs in November.
OOOooOoOooooO that's a new one. Honestly, I'm fine with that one.

Willj626

Ghelfaire said:
Love happens all year round. Holiday spirits should stay in their own respective months.

Ghelfaire

Willj626 said:
Love happens all year round. Holiday spirits should stay in their own respective months.
You're not taking into account that 99% of love songs aren't good. Breakup songs are even worse.
I vote for all music all year round.

Mii

Ghelfaire said:
You're not taking into account that 99% of love songs aren't good. Breakup songs are even worse.
if you have holiday music all year is stops being holiday music and just becomes music.

V1K

Ghelfaire said:
If 99% of love songs aren't good, then it's 99.9% for Christmas songs. It's also that Christmas songs all have a rather similar vibe and there aren't that many of them so they get repetitive real quick and get on your nerves. However I believe this is a real problem only for customer service employees, not for the customers.

Ghelfaire

V1K said:
If 99% of love songs aren't good, then it's 99.9% for Christmas songs. It's also that Christmas songs all have a rather similar vibe and there aren't that many of them so they get repetitive real quick and get on your nerves. However I believe this is a real problem only for customer service employees, not for the customers.
That's why I concluded my statement with "All music all the time". Even radio stations now run out of songs by lunch time and start over and it's really annoying.

mimo91088

V1K said:
No offense meant, but I have to ask. Do you listen to the same Christmas songs as the US over there, just in Lithuanian instead of English? Or do you have completely different songs than we do?

V1K

mimo91088 said:
No offense meant, but I have to ask. Do you listen to the same Christmas songs as the US over there, just in Lithuanian instead of English? Or do you have completely different songs than we do?
We mostly listen to the English ones in English, althought there are Lithuanian covers for the most popular songs, and then we have some original Lithuanian songs.

Willj626

Ghelfaire said:
And you are not taking into account the sensus communis of aesthetic judgements.
Also I would like to point out that that regardless of your aesthetic judgment on the music, breakup and love songs have utility for many people all year round; while Christmas music exists solely for the celebration of Christmas and setting the Christmas spirit, so you would get decreased utility from Christmas music if it was played year round- decreasing its value and effectivity when its actually required or largely wanted.

mimo91088

They both suck. You all lose.

Ghelfaire

mimo91088 said:
They both suck. You all lose.
Agreed 99% of the music on the radio sucks

Dippiedee

Radio music is horrible period. I've been listening to the same CD in my car for a year and that is still preferable than the rubbish the radio plays

SouthAmericanCichlids

Ghelfaire said:
Agreed 99% of the music on the radio sucks
Where I live there is an oldies station, it's the best.

Dippiedee

I know for sure this is unpopular

I don't like aquatic plants. Im a fishkeeper not a plant keeper. Plants were never part of the plan but other hobbiests made me feel like I needed plants to 'do it right.'

I haven't enjoyed keeping plants at all, infact its making me enjoy fishkeeping less. I want my fish to be the statement of the tank, not the plants. Often with heavily planted tanks you can't even see the fish.

Moral of the story; don't do things just because its what everybody else is doing.

Edit: changed the wording a bit

Ghelfaire

Dippiedee said:
Radio music is horrible period. I've been listening to the same CD in my car for a year and that is still preferable than the rubbish the radio plays
I work in a warehouse and we only get 3 stations...
Dippiedee said:
I know for sure this is unpopular

I don't like aquatic plants. Im a fishkeeper not a plant keeper. Plants were never part of the plan but other hobbiests made me feel like I needed plants to 'do it right.'

I haven't enjoyed keeping plants at all, infact its making me enjoy fishkeeping less. I want my fish to be the statement of the tank, not the plants. Often with heavily planted tanks you can't even see the fish.
That's what silk plants are for. There are also some fish that aren't plant safe that you can keep.

Willj626

I have a new unpopular opinion after trying an avocado and guacamole for the first time:
Avocado and guac taste like the smell of a freshly mowed lawn.

V1K

Willj626 said:
I have a new unpopular opinion after trying an avocado and guacamole for the first time:
Avocado and guac taste like the smell of a freshly mowed lawn.
Kind of, but that's not necessarily a bad thing... I love avocados, but it's becoming increasingly hard to get good ones this time of year...

goldface

I don't find discus and angelfish particularly appealing. I wouldn't mind owning them in the future, but their looks come secondary to their behavior and care. I have put prettier fish on the frying pan.

SouthAmericanCichlids

goldface said:
I don't find discus and angelfish particularly appealing. I wouldn't mind owning them in the future, but their looks come secondary to their behavior and care. I have put prettier fish on the frying pan.
I agree! That is an unpopular opinion. Angelfish are always the best. Gorgeous and personable and also gorgeous. And don't even get me started on discus.

Dippiedee

Once again I find myself wondering why honey gourami are so popular. They're suggested to people on every stocking thread it seems. Sometimes they're suggested without any prompt at all. My honeys are my least favourite fish and if someone geographically close to me wanted honeys I would happily give them away.

I am expecting angry replies because not only are popular they are also fiercely defended lol

Kribensis27

Dippiedee said:
Once again I find myself wondering why honey gourami are so popular. They're suggested to people on every stocking thread it seems. Sometimes they're suggested without any prompt at all. My honeys are my least favourite fish and if someone geographically close to me wanted honeys I would happily give them away.

I am expecting angry replies because not only are popular they are also fiercely defended lol
I think it’s mostly because they’re peaceful, small, and colorful. I love honeys, but I agree, they’re a bit overhyped.

goldface

Dippiedee said:

I'm surprised there isn't a member with the username HoneyGouramisAreSuperior.

Dippiedee

93d3a533efdf1c80ba964d6fa89807c3.gif

This pretty much sums up fishkeeping

Sputnik

Ok, here is my first unpopular opinion, I don’t understand the appeal of rummynose tetras. I just don’t think they look nice. With a normal body and inflamed looking head, I just keep thinking they look diseased- like they have some sort of hemorrhagic encephalitis!

Jesterrace

Unpopular opinion: Freshwater is a poor proving ground for Saltwater. I see it spouted all the time on various forums or groups that it's basically a prerequisite that you have to do Freshwater before doing Saltwater and how it helps you learn fishkeeping. The reality is that if I had a dollar for every time I helped a newbie out with the bad habits that they bring over from freshwater, I could retire.

Please don't get me wrong, I am not suggesting that it's a bad idea to do freshwater first, I am just saying I disagree with the idea of it being a pre-requisite. A person is going to learn far more about saltwater through taking their time to research it from multiple sources rather than spending time doing freshwater. The fact remains that although there are some superficial similarities that the two of them are two separate and distinct entities.

Kribensis27

Jesterrace said:
Unpopular opinion: Freshwater is a poor proving ground for Saltwater. I see it spouted all the time on various forums or groups that it's basically a prerequisite that you have to do Freshwater before doing Saltwater and how it helps you learn fishkeeping. The reality is that if I had a dollar for every time I helped a newbie out with the bad habits that they bring over from freshwater, I could retire.

Please don't get me wrong, I am not suggesting that it's a bad idea to do freshwater first, I am just saying I disagree with the idea of it being a pre-requisite. A person is going to learn far more about saltwater through taking their time to research it from multiple sources rather than spending time doing freshwater. The fact remains that although there are some superficial similarities that the two of them are two separate and distinct entities.
I agree, there are a lot of differences between the two. Just doing freshwater first doesn’t mean you’ll automatically just be able to do saltwater afterwards.

Jesterrace

Kribensis27 said:
I agree, there are a lot of differences between the two. Just doing freshwater first doesn’t mean you’ll automatically just be able to do saltwater afterwards.
And that is part of the problem. I actually did a vid recently with a list of the bad habits that people repeatedly bring over from freshwater and I specifically mentioned the false sense of security as one of them.

Dippiedee

Jesterrace said:
And that is part of the problem. I actually did a vid recently with a list of the bad habits that people repeatedly bring over from freshwater and I specifically mentioned the false sense of security as one of them.
Where can we find said video? I'd be interested in watching that

Jesterrace

Dippiedee said:
Where can we find said video? I'd be interested in watching that
Here it is:

goldface

Jesterrace said:
Here it is:

Well said. I think people who recommend that freshwater should be a prerequisite to saltwater generally have zero experience with saltwater.

Also, great point about Seachem Prime, although I'll go further and say it shouldn't be used as anything other than a de-chlorinator (Perhaps another unpopular opinion?).

Dippiedee

People use the term 'heavily planted' waaaaaay too liberally. Rarely is a tank someone describes as heavily planted actually heavy planted

mimo91088

Dippiedee said:
People use the term 'heavily planted' waaaaaay too liberally. Rarely is a tank someone describes as heavily planted actually heavy planted
Agreed. You're not heavily planted until you have to look real close to see fish.

John58ford

Dippiedee said:
This is true but it's a little relative to the keeper and often the other tanks it is currently being compared to.

"Low tech" came up yesterday, also relative. I didn't view a tank with app adjustable high output lighting and programmable pump systems for multiple nutrient packages low tech, but compared to the posters tanks that also have CO2... It was relative.

I still view low tech as common inert substrate, a set of basic, non-adjustable lights on a Christmas tree timer at most, and maybe fertilizer added at waterchanges.

Just like tech "levels", planted "levels" really don't matter without a background on the keeper.

Ever seen a "heavily planted" shell dweller tank? It's like finding the one tree on Adak island.

Dippiedee

I struggle to be understanding/sympathetic towards people with fish in bowls who are having problems they 'just don't understand.' The not knowing a fish needs more than a bowl excuse doesn't really fly with me; it is very obviously wrong. All you have to do is look and see that the fish can hardly move. I really can't comprehend how someone can look at that and think 'yes that's fine'

The first one or two was manageable but its really mentally/emotionally exhausting to see it over and over. People who are able to be gentle and encouraging everytime are saints

YellowGuppy

Dippiedee said:
I struggle to be understanding/sympathetic towards people with fish in bowls who are having problems they 'just don't understand.' The not knowing a fish needs more than a bowl excuse doesn't really fly with me; it is very obviously wrong. All you have to do is look and see that the fish can hardly move. I really can't comprehend how someone can look at that and think 'yes that's fine'

The first one or two was manageable but its really mentally/emotionally exhausting to see it over and over. People who are able to be gentle and encouraging everytime are saints
A personal favourite of mine is the arrogant equivalent of this: "I know a lot of you will say I'm overstocked but I know what I'm doing, I just can't figure out why I'm experiencing this crazy ammonia spike. Can someone tell me what's wrong without mentioning my ridiculous stocking levels because it couldn't POSSIBLY be the reason for any of my problems." :rolleyes:

Dippiedee

YellowGuppy said:
A personal favourite of mine is the arrogant equivalent of this: "I know a lot of you will say I'm overstocked but I know what I'm doing, I just can't figure out why I'm experiencing this crazy ammonia spike. Can someone tell me what's wrong without mentioning my ridiculous stocking levels because it couldn't POSSIBLY be the reason for any of my problems." :rolleyes:
Ahhh, a classic. *chefs kiss*

V1K

Dippiedee said:
In most cases their excuse is "but the fish shop consultant told me it's fine". They're just too lazy to think, to read, to try to figure things out on their own. For them the best source of information isn't the one that has the best sources, the best arguments and the most comprehensive explanations, it's the one that's easiest to find, or even better, finds them without them even looking. Which is something that frustrates me about people in every aspect of life.

mattgirl

Sadly many folks don't think to look past the tiny cups the fish are sold in. They think because they are kept in these tiny cups, little bowls are a step up. Until they start researching they don't understand the reason they are in the cups instead of all of them in a tank together like all the other fish in the store.

When I very first got into this hobby I got a male betta. I thought well if I have a male then I need to get a female too. Then I started reading about this kind of fish and discovered what a bad idea that was. Beautiful fish but bad disposition. I did get a female but she didn't go in the 10 gallon tank with the male. She had her own 10 gallon. Keep in mind, This was before the internet and having information right there at my fingertips any time of the day or night. There really is no excuse in today's world.

Thankfully lots of folks come here for information and are willing to listen but I am sure there are thousands more out there that never look into what their fish friends really need and many fish die an early death because of it.

Betta'sAnonymous

V1K said:
In most cases their excuse is "but the fish shop consultant told me it's fine". They're just too lazy to think, to read, to try to figure things out on their own. For them the best source of information isn't the one that has the best sources, the best arguments and the most comprehensive explanations, it's the one that's easiest to find, or even better, finds them without them even looking. Which is something that frustrates me about people in every aspect of life.
There is a lot of good information that goes from the fish shop people to deaf ears as well. Don't forget that part. Unsolicited advice is unsolicited advice, be it from a store employee or a knowledgeable customer and is always an area to tread carefully. I mean, if you don't want advice, how willing are you to listen to whomever is giving that advice? People are stubborn like that.

Mii

Dippiedee said:

Yeah. Whenever I see someone with a fishbowl I just instantly hate them.
YellowGuppy said:
Usually ammonia spike isn't because of overstocking, but because they added the fish too fast without waiting in between for their bacteria to catch up. Overstocked usually means crazy high nitrate unless you're REALLY overstocked, as in so overstocked your bacteria CAN'T keep up at all, but that can usually be solved by adding another filter.

julifhy

Dippiedee said:

They usually also say "my betta was fine in a bowl!! He was just lonely " No... Your betta was probably depressed from being in a tiny bowl lol, I know I would be too :hilarious:

IMO bowls make great homes for fish if they are big enough and properly set up though

YellowGuppy said:
Yes! I ran into someone who had a betta, gourami, guppies and endlers all in a 2 gallon bowl (all without a filter, I think it's a walastad bowl) :confused:
He really does know what he's doing and surprisingly, parameter wise, his bowl is doing great, but the stocking is just not it

Kribensis27

I have a friend who had a single ADF in an unheated, unfiltered, little 0.25g box of stagnant water. It lived there for 3 years. I offered to scape/plant and give them my empty 5g, give them all the equipment needed, and buy it a friend, but his mom refused saying "She's perfectly happy there. She's so old that she might have a heart attack if we change her surroundings.", when the frog was ONLY 3!!!!!! It died later that year, and they blamed old age. AAAAAVGBEYTHETGHH! They take good care of their leopard gecko, though.

I just want to stress: this was an unheated tank, near a window, in MINNESOTA! That water would be nearly ice cold. I have no idea how that frog survived.

julifhy

julifhy said:
I came up with some more possibly unpopular opinions lol:
Idk if someone already mentioned this or not, but I don't find corydoras cute. They're honestly kind of creepy... Except for pygmy corys. I can't wait to get them lol.
I don't really like guppies, mollys, or platys. I only enjoy looking at them in heavily planted tanks
I also don't know if this is unpopular or not, but I prefer understocked tanks.
Lastly, I don't think neon tetras are good tank mates for bettas.
I would like to take this back. All corydoras are cute!
Guppies and endlers are okay. They're just not fish I would be interested in currently owning, but I love the way green cobra guppies look!
I'm still not convinced about mollys or platys though... Maybe because the only time I see them is in petsmart or petco

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Find a Guru

Top Bottom