Unpopular opinions? - Page 10

mimo91088

I have a betta in a 2.5 sitting on the desk next to me right now. No regrets.

Pfrozen

Wake up America, birds aren't real

jake37

Why would we care about imaginary birds? This is a forum about fishes.

Pfrozen said:

Leeman75

Here's my unpopular opinion...HOBs, and particularly Marinelands, are not loud.

I have them in 4 of my tanks and the only sound that there is comes from water discharge if I have the water level low. The surface agitation from my sponge filters is louder than the HOBs.

V1K

jake37 said:
Betta are not real fishes. They are evil reincarnated designed to suck the good will of pray who finds them adorable.
I think they're actually cervelat sausages with fins (I mean that in a possitive way).

Edit: wait, they're too small to be cervelat. I always forget how small they are, as I rarely see them irl. No, they're those tiny smoked one bite sausages.

AggressiveAquatics

AcornTheBetta said:
Booooooooooo!
Booooooooooo! I take it back plecos are kinda cool in my sleep I was visited by the ghost of pleco past,present and future and they showed me the way of the pleco

mattgirl

For those that don't care for plecos you might change your mind if you could see one of mine in real life. This one will be perfectly comfortable living out her life in a 5.5 gallon aquarium. This one is about 1 1/2 years old and is only 1 inch long. She is a perfectly formed female bristle nose pleco. Elbert is her dad. Her mom was a little super red. All her brothers and sisters grew normally but this tiny girl stopped growing at 1 inch.

BTW: In case y'all haven't already guessed it. Pleco's are my favorite species of fish. If I had a tank big enough I would have a common. Since I don't and never will, I have settled on their smaller cousins.

One other thing. It is possible to have a tank without a conventional filter. My snail jar doesn't have one. Although I over feed them to keep them breeding there is no ammonia, nitrites and the even the nitrates stay down to negligible levels. The filter for this jar is actually pothos (ivy) roots. The jar is at least half way filled with roots. I do run an air stone in the jar although I am not totally sure it is needed.

V1K

Of course you can have an aquarium without a filter, that's what the whole Walstad method is about. I'd love to try it one day. Man, I had a whole concept of a natural tank comprised entirely of local fauna, plants and materials yesterday before sleep. I have way too many concepts and too little space (and money) xD

Betta'sAnonymous

V1K said:
Of course you can have an aquarium without a filter, that's what the whole Walstad method is about. I'd love to try it one day. Man, I had a whole concept of a natural tank comprised entirely of local fauna, plants and materials yesterday before sleep. I have way too many concepts and too little space (and money) xD
Space, money, time...my downfalls in the fish hobby lol!

Unpopular opinion: too much, too soon is a big cause of burnout and a big reason why people leave the hobby maybe far too soon.

V1K

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Unpopular opinion: too much, too soon is a big cause of burnout and a big reason why people leave the hobby maybe far too soon.
I agree. In that sense I'm grateful for the restrictions I have. I found the process of research and buying stuff extremely addictive, I haven't felt such enthusiams for ages, but it's also extremely exhausting, because I couldn't sleep well and when I wasn't my brain was working non-stop, so I felt tired 14/7 for an entire month! Now that the high is over, I kind of have and urge to chase it. I find myself googling what else I could add to my tank, or what different kind of tank I could fit into my home, and I just have to tell myself - stop, your tank is fully stocked, there's something planted in every corner of the tank, and you have to prioritize your own comfort over more tanks. Was I not restricted by space and resources, I could easily bite more than I can chew atm.

Leeman75

V1K said:
I agree. In that sense I'm grateful for the restrictions I have. I found the process of research and buying stuff extremely addictive, I haven't felt such enthusiams for ages, but it's also extremely exhausting, because I couldn't sleep well and when I wasn't my brain was working non-stop, so I felt tired 14/7 for an entire month! Now that the high is over, I kind of have and urge to chase it. I find myself googling what else I could add to my tank, or what different kind of tank I could fit into my home, and I just have to tell myself - stop, your tank is fully stocked, there's something planted in every corner of the tank, and you have to prioritize your own comfort over more tanks. Was I not restricted by space and resources, I could easily bite more than I can chew atm.
I think this is the root cause of MTS. Learning more about fish and the hobby leads to wanting to try more new things as we learn about them. Our aquarium space is not infinite, so the solution to getting what we want is to add more tanks.

Betta'sAnonymous

V1K said:
I space my aquarium projects out. If i can handle doing water changes on what i have for a couole months without begrudging the task, then i start planning a new tank. Getting excited because i am planning on setting up my first community tank since 2005!! All i got left is to get a heater, then some prep work then set up sometime after the holidays...

FrenchFry

I think that an unpopular viewpoint is that, as the Fish Doctor pointed out on YouTube, fish are only kept in bags and cups because it is for a short period of time only. The fish will soon be bought and (hopefully) put in a proper-sized tank. However don't get me wrong; I don't like seeing bettas in little cups after days of being in the stores.

Mii

mixing species of corydoras is fine, and they will school. it may take them a few days to get used to each other, but once they do they've always seemed just as healthy as the ones in a same-species school and I didn't notice any difference in behavior and social interaction between same species and mixed/assorted.

emilymg

unpopular opinion: female bettas are superior to male bettas

AggressiveAquatics

Pfrozen said:
Wait.... then what took my pet moth when I was 7

Kribensis27

Leeman75 said:
I think this is the root cause of MTS. Learning more about fish and the hobby leads to wanting to try more new things as we learn about them. Our aquarium space is not infinite, so the solution to getting what we want is to add more tanks.
I feel personally attacked here

fishbreeeder

AggressiveAquatics said:
He did...

Leeman75

Kribensis27 said:
I feel personally attacked here
Nah....it was more an autobiographical post.

AcornTheBetta

AggressiveAquatics said:
A spy!

Kribensis27

the birds are w a t c i n g u s

mimo91088

You guys are gonna have black helicopters following you home if you keep talking about the bird conspiracy. Snitches don't get stitches. They get abducted by the CIA.

V1K

AggressiveAquatics said:
The month was actually a bug meant to spy on you. It got recalled because the agent assigned to monitor you threatened to leave his job if they don't give him someone else.

Pfrozen

mimo91088 said:
You guys are gonna have black helicopters following you home if you keep talking about the bird conspiracy. Snitches don't get stitches. They get abducted by the CIA.
birds exist have you heard? lol

Dippiedee

Betta'sAnonymous said:
I feel called out lol

KribensisLover1

This is one perpetuated by outsiders: fishkeeping is easy. Ummm yea. You try to recreate an entire river or lake in a small glass box

AngelfishDude722

Mii

Mii said:
mixing species of corydoras is fine, and they will school. it may take them a few days to get used to each other, but once they do they've always seemed just as healthy as the ones in a same-species school and I didn't notice any difference in behavior and social interaction between same species and mixed/assorted.
just a follow up on that, some people have reported being less successful with mixed cories than me, and yours may or may not like each other as much as mine do. I've done it successfully 3 times, and have never had a problem with them not schooling, but your results may vary and I don't want to spread bad info and claim that this will always work. but in my personal experience it has always worked for me. I've mixed bronze and pepper, panda and unknown, and bronze and unknown. from what I've heard albino cories don't school with other species. some say their albinos won't school with regular bronze even though they're the same species, so if you're planning a mixed cory tank, I'd steer clear of albino corys, as they seem to only school with their own kind.

V1K

AngelfishDude722 said:
I really don’t think so I love the blue colors on them.
I think it is the shape and not the colouring that the people don't like.

Mii

V1K said:
I think it is the shape and not the colouring that the people don't like.
I don't have a problem with the shape. it just looks like a gourami with extra long fins.

Betta'sAnonymous

Dippiedee said:
I feel called out lol
Definitely not. I did it, sure lots of others have, i see everyday more people slip into that trap lol

V1K

Mii said:
I don't have a problem with the shape. it just looks like a gourami with extra long fins.
Oops, confused with rainbow fish. Paradise fish looks pretty neat imo.

LadfromLondon

My 4AM thought- Tropical communities can get boring, real fast. Especially if you have multiples, you’ll soon realise it’s the same fish doing the same thing with different colours...

Mii

LadfromLondon said:
My 4AM thought- Tropical communities can get boring, real fast. Especially if you have multiples, you’ll soon realise it’s the same fish doing the same thing with different colours...
I usually try to choose fish based on behavior more than color. Keeps the tanks interesting.

Katie13

Bolivian Rams are not always the easiest Ram species to keep.

AcornTheBetta

Katie13 said:
Bolivian Rams are not always the easiest Ram species to keep.
Interesting... What makes you say that?

Katie13

AcornTheBetta said:
Interesting... What makes you say that?
I’ve bred German Blues, Gold German Blues, and Bolivians. Bolivians were only easier/hardier than the Golds which weren’t really a popular aquarium fish (at least where I live) when I first bought them. I had to drive to 4 different LFS to eventually have them ordered in.

Betta'sAnonymous

Katie13 said:
I’ve bred German Blues, Gold German Blues, and Bolivians. Bolivians were only easier/hardier than the Golds which weren’t really a popular aquarium fish (at least where I live) when I first bought them. I had to drive to 4 different LFS to eventually have them ordered in.
Rams of any kind hard to find around here. I dunno if they all just sell that quick or what. I have seen 1 bolivian ram in the last 6 months here, at a Petco...but then again i limit myself only to the 2 LFSs and the 2 Petcos(they have good aquatics people)and don't even look at the fish when i go to the Petsmarts.

Dippiedee

KFC is NOT good

Betta'sAnonymous

Pfrozen

window cleaners are a scam. the most effective way to clean glass without leaving streaks is with plain water on a rag. even windshield washer fluid is a scam.. just leave your wipers on dry for an 10 extra seconds and the dirt dries and gets swept away

Betta'sAnonymous

Drive-thru's should have $1 federal tax on every order. The US federal deficit would disappear in less than a month.

MacZ

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Drive-thru's should have $1 federal tax on every order. The US federal deficit would disappear in less than a month.
Do that with tax exemption for bicycles or pedestrians and most Germans would stop driving cars within a week!

Betta'sAnonymous

MacZ said:
Do that with tax exemption for bicycles or pedestrians and most Germans would stop driving cars within a week!
Not here. Most the US refuses even to not drive if their destination is more than 100 ft from their couch.

StarGirl

I hate pasta.

AcornTheBetta

Seafood is bad

Betta'sAnonymous

AcornTheBetta said:
Seafood is bad
But i can say that as you can't get much more landlocked than me.

MacZ

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Not here. Most the US refuses even to not drive if their destination is more than 100 ft from their couch.
I know. But I might just give you one hint: "Autobahn". Many Germans are so attached to their cars... It's not even about actually driving them. More about owning them. But give them the chance to safe a buck or two... They jump hoops.
I haven't owned a car in 16 years, I'm the exemption to the rule.

mimo91088

StarGirl said:
I hate pasta.
I'm with you. I wouldn't say I hate it, but it's down near the bottom of my list and I'd never cook it for myself.

StarGirl

mimo91088 said:
I'm with you. I wouldn't say I hate it, but it's down near the bottom of my list and I'd never cook it for myself.
I do occasionally eat like spaghetti at home because my husband likes it. I eat more garlic bread and sauce than the pasta. I think it is crazy people go out to eat and order pasta. Blasphemy I say! Get something good when you go out to eat! lol.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom