Unpopular Fish Opinions - Page 4

Iverg1

rainbowsprinkles said:
Lots of glofish shade on here so I’m going with the unpopular opinion that Glofish are actually kind of cool with their jellyfish DNA
Well yah those ones look cool but I'm talking about the ones who are under that black light.
Yes everyone on here gets a discount just show me your fishlore profile page

DestinyStars

aussieJJDude said:
Have you had goldies? I thought the same until I got them, and I became hooked. In a good environment, they really do shine IMO.
I personally never had them. But when I was 16, my little brother (obsessed with them) got a tank. My we decided to put our tanks next to each other so I could teach my brother the hobby easier. He was quickly enamored with all types of golds. I tell you I spent many a night watching our tanks flourish. His tank was so beautiful, except for those darn goldfish. Something is just so wrong with short, stumpy, wibbly, wobbly fish. Lol I also just find that orange overrated lol but I'm glad they find a home with someone XD.

rainbowsprinkles

aussieJJDude said:
Have you had goldies? I thought the same until I got them, and I became hooked. In a good environment, they really do shine IMO.
Long-domesticated fish (bettas Goldies) appeal to folks wanting interactive fish- I believe after such a long domestication process - thousands of generations-there has been selection for things like eye contact and interaction with humans and other traits that encourage bonding and therefore care- but having a window to a beautiful minI ecosystem appeals to others...

smee82

You didnt rescue the betta you bought it so stop saying it was a rescue.

Iverg1

But what if you rescued it from the store?

FergusDaFish

rainbowsprinkles said:
Lots of glofish shade on here so I’m going with the unpopular opinion that Glofish are actually kind of cool with their jellyfish DNA
I like the genetics part of glofish.

The actual look of a black light tank is hideous.

If glofish were bio luminescent that would be pretty cool.

Dave125g

Culprit said:
Its not really unpopular so much as people don't think its true I think.
It just takes a bit of research then some number crunching. I've done that, numbers don't lie.

Dave125g

rainbowsprinkles said:
I love them too. It's almost like having colorful salt water fish in a fresh water tank.

Blaze

Dave125g said:
I love them too. It's almost like having colorful salt water fish in a fresh water tank.
Lol that's why I have Cichlids

Dave125g

Betta'sAnonymous

I have Spongebob, Patrick and Spongebob's pineapple in a tank with blue gravel. CHANGE MY MIND!!

Dave125g

Betta'sAnonymous said:
I have Spongebob, Patrick and Spongebob's pineapple in a tank with blue gravel. CHANGE MY MIND!!
They also have the crusty crab, and squidwards house. Patrick's house is easy. Lol just a rock. I wanted to scape out a 20 long with it.I still might. I think pool filter sand would match the show good. Not changing your mind am I Lol.

VeiltailKing

Betta'sAnonymous said:
I have a squidward house and a little Sandy decor... want it? lol

DoubleDutch

Ahhh after years I know now where the pineapple in so many tanks come from
VeiltailKing said:
I have a squidward house and a little Sandy decor... want it? lol

Betta'sAnonymous

Dave125g said:
They also have the crusty crab, and squidwards house. Patrick's house is easy. Lol just a rock. I wanted to scape out a 20 long with it.I still might. I think pool filter sand would match the show good. Not changing your mind am I Lol.
Online I have even seen the bus from the cartoon. The kids love Spongebob! I typically change Patricks location every water change and see how long it takes them to find him

AquaticJ

Culprit said:
Unpopolar opinion:

Saltwater is easy and is not that expensive!! It's just like FW, you can have a very basic tank with just fish and some sand and rock in SW. You can setup a very simple betta tank for cheap in FW. Orrrrrrr you can start getting into corals, and reefs, and all kinds of stuff and your price can skyrocket... just like freshwater!

And another! You don't have to start your salty career with a tank that has to be over 40 gallons because anything under is very hard to keep. NOPE. In fact, a 20 gallon long is pretty much the perfect beginners tank.
Yeah but you’re pretty limited with what you can keep in a small tank. Your average freshwater community fish is around $1.99-5.99 each. The cheapest saltwater fish at my store is a yellowtail damsel, and they’re $8.99 each, and you’d need at least 6. Or maybe you’d go with a pair of Ocellaris at $24.99 each. Then you have to mix salt to do a water change instead of just using a python. I mean, sure it’s not like an insane amount more expensive or harder, but it still is more expensive and more work.

Kjeldsen

It's only a matter of time until the FDA cracks down on over-the-counter antibiotics. I find the following statement dubious - "The FDA has elected to use regulatory discretion to keep products intended for the treatment of aquarium fish available". I mean, come on, nobody in government really cares about ornamental fish. They DO care about food fish, so perhaps are studying this to see how quickly rampant misuse will result in superbugs.

Dave125g

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Online I have even seen the bus from the cartoon. The kids love Spongebob! I typically change Patricks location every water change and see how long it takes them to find him
My kids are teenagers now and still like watching sponge bob. It's 1 show we can all agree to watch together.

oOBlueOo

Kjeldsen said:
It's only a matter of time until the FDA cracks down on over-the-counter antibiotics. I find the following statement dubious - "The FDA has elected to use regulatory discretion to keep products intended for the treatment of aquarium fish available". I mean, come on, nobody in government really cares about ornamental fish. They DO care about food fish, so perhaps are studying this to see how quickly rampant misuse will result in superbugs.
That's funny. . I was just reading an article where people buy fish antibiotics to treat themselves. I know for a fact the same thing applys to farm animal and dog meds.

Dave125g

oOBlueOo said:
That's funny. . I was just reading an article where people buy fish antibiotics to treat themselves. I know for a fact the same thing applys to farm animal and dog meds.
Dooms day prepers stock up on animal antibiotics for when the world ends. It is the same thing just cheaper.

aosuna11

rainbowsprinkles said:
:yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck:
They don't look good at all. Would you like to be modified before birth to constantly be radiating the color pink? There's plenty of colorful freshwater fish, cichlids, killies, bettas, etc.

All you need is the first minute

goldface

DillonPhoenix said:
I think before anyone is allowed to buy any fish online or in a shop they should have to answer a questionnaire to prove that they know how the nitrogen cycle works and how to take proper care of the fish they're wanting to buy. If they prove they don't know these things they should be told to go and do some research before coming back and taking the questionnaire again.
Lol, then I would take my business elsewhere. I’m not answering that even though I easily could. Stop wasting my time and give me what I asked for, buddy!

oOBlueOo

Dave125g said:
Dooms day prepers stock up on animal antibiotics for when the world ends. It is the same thing just cheaper.
I know people in the hound dog and farming business who use animal meds instead of going to the doctor.

Betta'sAnonymous

Ethically, a test on the cycle would be good. However, if you want to stay in business more than 3-6 months, I would nix that idea.

rainbowsprinkles

Kjeldsen said:
It already has and as a result of unregulated use in fish farming, your fish food has traces of antibiotics and is spurring more resistance. Fish that are not palatable for human consumption turn into fish food so that could mean sick fish treated with antibiotics, but they treat them anyway prophylactically and antibiotic traces remain after processing.. even high heat. Scientists found between 4-11 antibiotic types in every sample of fish food tested!!! Recent work even found copious genes of antibiotic resistant bacteria growing in fish food and that fish food alone increased antibiotic resistant bacteria found in sediments. Yikes. (Jing Wang et al 2017 J EviScI and Technology).

rainbowsprinkles

aosuna11 said:
Would you like to be modified before birth to constantly be radiating the color pink?
Yes.

Betta'sAnonymous

oOBlueOo said:
I know people in the hound dog and farming business who use animal meds instead of going to the doctor.
Makes sense. I know some people give their animals "human anti-biotics" as well, because they can often get for $4, and its usually the same thing

smee82

Iverg1 said:
But what if you rescued it from the store?
You didnt rescue it from the store As soon as money crosses hands its a purchase

Fish0n

Preston Landolt said:
Or the workers should simply say “ I’m not going to let you put a goldfish in a 5 gallon aquarium” ( they aren’t allowed to not sell things )
I live in a small area so the only fish stores within a 3 hour drive of me are Petsmart and Petco. The vast majority of the people that work in these stores chose the job because they enjoy the hobby and do a very good job of asking questions like this. Of course my experience is limited to my town and the employees I have interacted with.
So I guess my opinion is that at least in my town the Petsmart and Petco employees do the very best they can with the tools they are given to take care of the fish in the store and make sure they go to a home capable of taking care of them.

Iverg1

smee82 said:
You didnt rescue it from the store As soon as money crosses hands its a purchase
Lol I mean what if you purchased it to rescue it from the store

Smalltownfishfriend

I h
oOBlueOo said:
I happen to know of a bovine mastitis med that works great for pink eye.....

smee82

Iverg1 said:
Lol I mean what if you purchased it to rescue it from the store
Your intentions don't matter its still a purchase. The only way its not a purchase is if they give it to you for free.

Iverg1

smee82 said:
Your intentions don't matter its still a purchase. The only way its not a purchase is if they give it to you for free.
I know I'm just messing with ya

goldface

If I catch a baby whale, I think it’s perfectly within my rights to keep it.

Niaa

The aquarium hobby is not the most expensive hobby you could have. (Try owning a horse.)

Plants are more important than fish.

Stocking is more of an art than a science.

Betta'sAnonymous

scarface said:
If I catch a baby whale, I think it’s perfectly within my rights to keep it.
I feel the same for great whites

aosuna11

Niaa said:
The aquarium hobby is not the most expensive hobby you could have. (Try owning a horse.)

Plants are more important than fish? Could you elaborate on that?

Niaa

aosuna11 said:
Its definitely a personal preference, but plants add a lot to the stability of the tank parameters, give fish places to hide and defuse aggression, as well as making the tank look a lot nicer, imo. I love the green. Plus, I like my tank to be an ecosystem of its own, and you can't have that without plants. Fish are nice because they add color, movement, and personality to the tank, so they are still important, but they don't provide support to the tank like plants do.

Kathryn Crook

Well, wasn't happy of others opinions I can't put 15 neon tetras into a 10 gallon tank with 50 rcs and 12 snails!
I can too if I change my water every day and bandaid the fishy noses and dedicate my life to my little tank! I will make it work! Muahahahaha! I’ll show you!

Next topic: why did my fish die?

Dave125g

aosuna11 said:
Some people see there fish as decor and plants as stock. Sounds backwards don't it?

VeiltailKing

Niaa said:

Totally agree on the horse thing. I have 3.

Kathryn Crook

Dave125g said:
Some people see there fish as decor and plants as stock. Sounds backwards don't it?
I dig it tho...many ppl love the plants and the fish only there to keep them clean...or feed the eyes of the ppl that just don't get the beauty of the plants themselves. Lets face it...keeping beautiful aqua scapes is sometimes harder then keeping the fish.

TheeLadyG

It should be against the rules to talk in acronyms like "hob" "hith" (a rule I've seen in some other forums)

Buying a fish from a store that keeps them badly does not help the fishes it just gives the bad store money, justification for their conditions, and room for more mistreated stock.

If you can't be bothered to do basic research ON YOUR OWN for how to keep and feed your fish, you should not own any pet.

Proper animal husbandry (like breeding) means sometimes you have to kill animals.

Do not breed poor quality fish. It degrades genetics and the trade in general.

Fancy fish that are hobbled significantly by their own bodies need to stop being a thing (says the chick with 2 fancy goldies)

Barebottom and "minimalist" tanks may be clean and simple, but I can't help but feel for the fish. Would you lock a dog in a plain white room with nothing in it but a slot where food comes twice a day?

Kathryn Crook

TheeLadyG said:
It should be against the rules to talk in acronyms like "hob" "hith" (a rule I've seen in some other forums)

Buying a fish from a store that keeps them badly does not help the fishes it just gives the bad store money, justification for their conditions, and room for more mistreated stock.

If you can't be bothered to do basic research ON YOUR OWN for how to keep and feed your fish, you should not own any pet.

Proper animal husbandry (like breeding) means sometimes you have to kill animals.

Do not breed poor quality fish. It degrades genetics and the trade in general.

Fancy fish that are hobbled significantly by their own bodies need to stop being a thing (says the chick with 2 fancy goldies)

Barebottom and "minimalist" tanks may be clean and simple, but I can't help but feel for the fish. Would you lock a dog in a plain white room with nothing in it but a slot where food comes twice a day?
Omg! Your revelations remind me of when I had a chinchilla and I put on a chin forum a video of my chin meeting my puppy and the chin loved it!
Those aholes lost their mind about how it was possible my chin might get a disease from the puppy and how I should isolate the chin from such conditions...essentially make a “bubble chin”.
I went off and said Id rather my chin live 6 years happily as part of our family then 15 years locked away in isolation in some hermetically sealed room. Some ppl are just nuts.

FergusDaFish

smee82 said:
Do you also not think that you rescue dogs or cats when you purchase them from a humane society (money changing hands) or is it more of a "the fish aren't / weren't mistreated " thing?

It should be against the rules to talk in acronyms like "" "hith" (a rule I've seen in some other forums)
I've belonged to several forums and the ones that use acronyms tend to use them in a non-annoying manner but in a way that makes conversation / typing faster. Everyone knows what DD and LV and HHR mean and it's faster to type three letters than 16.

goldface

FergusDaFish said:
Everyone knows what DD and LV and HHR mean and it's faster to type three letters than 16.
huh? I have zero clue what those mean.

Kathryn Crook

FergusDaFish said:
Do you also not think that you rescue dogs or cats when you purchase them from a humane society (money changing hands) or is it more of a "the fish aren't / weren't mistreated " thing?

I've belonged to several forums and the ones that use acronyms tend to use them in a non-annoying manner but in a way that makes conversation / typing faster. Everyone knows what DD and LV and HHR mean and it's faster to type three letters than 16.
Ooh ooh! I know what HHR means. Its what my car is...an HHR!

FergusDaFish

Everyone in the forum that uses those acronyms knows what they mean. Should have been more clear, sorry.

Also I just realized it’s HRH not HHR... oops

smee82

FergusDaFish said:

If your purchase a cat or dog from a humane society its still a purchase not a rescue it doesn't matter what the animal.

I think its actually quite hypercritical that humane societies usually have adoption fees for good looking pets but no fees for the old, ugly or those health issues. Just call it what it is, a sale to make money. I personally would have more respect for them if they just asked for a donation of any amount for any animal. Also a lot of places will just kill any animal they don't think is sellable and they still want to be called humane.

Also I have no idea what any of those acronyms are except isn't LV that brand my wive always wants to buy.

FergusDaFish

smee82 said:
If your purchase a cat or dog from a humane society its still a purchase not a rescue it doesn't matter what the animal.
Gotcha

Also I have no idea what any of those acronyms are except isn't LV that brand my wive always wants to buy.
They're acronyms from another forum that everyone in that forum knows. Nothing to do with fish.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom