Unpopular Fish Opinions - Page 3

CMB

DillonPhoenix said:
I think before anyone is allowed to buy any fish online or in a shop they should have to answer a questionnaire to prove that they know how the nitrogen cycle works and how to take proper care of the fish they're wanting to buy. If they prove they don't know these things they should be told to go and do some research before coming back and taking the questionnaire again.
Maybe instead of just sending the person back to do research, the store should offer some advice and tips, to help them out. I think that fish stores should also have to meet certian minimum requirements for how their fish are kept, and if they have too many die, they should be shut down.

aosuna11 said:
It might be an interesting idea, but it could deter new people to the hobby. I mean, how many of us started with a goldfish/ betta in a bowl as our first fish? Not many people start knowing the cycle, but eventually learn it.

I think something better would to make fish a little more expensive, and at the checkout have the cashier ask the buyer if they know the cycle, if they do they can get a discount. This way, the more expensive fish don't get bought by just any person, and people that know what they're doing get a little bit of the price knocked off.
Yes, but are the lives of the fish really worth getting people into the hobby? How many fish die because people see them as disposable?

DillonPhoenix

aosuna11 said:
It might be an interesting idea, but it could deter new people to the hobby. I mean, how many of us started with a goldfish/ betta in a bowl as our first fish? Not many people start knowing the cycle, but eventually learn it.

I think something better would to make fish a little more expensive, and at the checkout have the cashier ask the buyer if they know the cycle, if they do they can get a discount. This way, the more expensive fish don't get bought by just any person, and people that know what they're doing get a little bit of the price knocked off.
It should deter certain people from owning fish that's the whole point! There must be so many fish around the world that are living in terrible conditions because they sell to anyone and everyone. If people really want to get into this hobby they should be fine with being made to do half an hour of research before buying a living creature.

aosuna11

DillonPhoenix said:
It should deter certain people from owning fish that's the whole point! There must be so many fish around the world that are living in terrible conditions because they sell to anyone and everyone. If people really want to get into this hobby they should be fine with being made to do half an hour of research before buying a living creature.
I agree, but that sadly isn't a reality.

Most people have the betta (for example) in a bowl or whatever, it dies, they learn new information of the cycle, filters, heaters, etc. and then they try again, with more experience and knowledge on the subject.

I would love to have a world where everyone did their research before chucking a fish into a box of water, but the reality is is that stores have to sell, its a business, and they can't survive by selling only to the small handful that know how to properly keep fish.

DillonPhoenix

aosuna11 said:
I agree, but that sadly isn't a reality.

Most people have the betta (for example) in a bowl or whatever, it dies, they learn new information of the cycle, filters, heaters, etc. and then they try again, with more experience and knowledge on the subject.

I would love to have a world where everyone did their research before chucking a fish into a box of water, but the reality is is that stores have to sell, its a business, and they can't survive by selling only to the small handful that know how to properly keep fish.
I know it will never change and some fish will always be treated like garbage for the amusement of humans, that's why it's an unpopular opinion!

DoubleDutch

Some of my unpopular opinions :

- at some point treatment is useless and euthanising a fish is the only thing to do.
- we overuse (broadspectrum) meds and antibiotics in a desastrous way.
- bettas should be kept in a decent tank (the fact that they don't swim a lot doesn't matter)
- there is not such thing like a nanofish
- the small size of fish doesn't automatically mean they can / should be kept in small(er) tanks.
- we're keeping fish often too warm
- False info is repeated and repeated again and again.
- A lot of sites doing this as well
- Last : that people should stop telling every keeper of sick neons that it probably is NTD. They never do when other fish are involved.

Mazeus

Ok so my unpopular opinion is that you do not necessarily need to do regular water changes in a heavily planted tank. I haven't changed water in one of my tanks in about 3 months (reads 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 0 nitrates every time I test it).

GoldfishGuy

Balloon versions of any fish

david1978

I just tell the fish store what they want to hear, have been doing it for years. My wife says its unethical but its better then arguing with them.
I have a few unpopular opinions
Bettas can be community fish
Betta splendas can be kept male and females in the same tank as long as its big enough
Tanks under 20 gallons shouldn't exist

Dave125g

Mazeus said:
Ok so my unpopular opinion is that you do not necessarily need to do regular water changes in a heavily planted tank. I haven't changed water in one of my tanks in about 3 months (reads 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 0 nitrates every time I test it).
PH, hardness, or the thousand other things that can be tested for. Just saying stability is key in this hobby.

Mazeus

Dave125g said:
PH, hardness, or the thousand other things that can be tested for. Just saying stability is key in this hobby.
I also test ph, kh, gh and tds regularly. When KH gets too low I change the water.

DoubleDutch

GoldfishGuy said:
Balloon versions of any fish
I forgot :

I dislike manmade longfins, colorvariaties, shapevariaties, etc....

As said elsewhere : Mother Nature did an awesome job on her own and made the most beautiful fish. No need for mankind to change something.

Dave125g

Mazeus said:
I also test ph, kh, gh and tds regularly. When KH gets too low I change the water.
Were gonna have to agree to disagree. A kh drop points out instability.

Mazeus

Dave125g said:
Bound to happen in an unpopular opinion thread

Demeter

I don’t care for long finned male bettas but somehow I have two out of the many

86 ssinit

I’ve only got one. This that and the other thing have to be in groups of 6.
After reading this thread my next tank will be glow fish with clown puke gravel.yeah who wants bubble things!!!

ME!!!!!! .

DillonPhoenix

86 ssinit said:
After reading this thread my next tank will be glow fish with clown puke gravel.yeah who wants bubble things!!!

ME!!!!!! .
Now that's a cute fish, I just think you should maybe replace that boring gravel with some neon rainbow stuff to really make their colours pop!

aosuna11

86 ssinit said:

ME!!!!!! .
Add Flourecent green gravel, also bright orange fake plants, I heard they love that

86 ssinit

Petcos out of clown puke.

goldface

Sure, if you want your aquarium to look like a bowl of Lucky Charms, then go for it.

mjfromga

Dave125g said:
KH is used up over time. It doesn't stay up forever. It will drop slowly, and this can cause pH to shift if it drops too low, which is bad for the fish. KH dropping is normal over time. pH dropping points to instability in KH, because the pH will only begin to shift once the KH is allowed to fall TOO low. The harder the water, the slower the KH drops and the higher the KH is to begin with.

Dave125g

mjfromga said:
KH is used up over time. It doesn't stay up forever. It will drop slowly, and this can cause pH to shift if it drops too low, which is bad for the fish. KH dropping is normal over time. pH dropping points to instability in KH, because the pH will only begin to shift once the KH is allowed to fall TOO low. The harder the water, the slower the KH drops and the higher the KH is to begin with.
My point is if water changes are done once a week the tank remains stable. You don't wait to change your water when you notice your kh dropping.

toeknee

People on this forum use too many acronyms. When I was newer to fish keeping and new on the forum I had no idea what people were talking about most of the time. MTS? NTS? DG? DGD? FO? FOWLR? and on and and on....

mjfromga

Dave125g said:
My point is if water changes are done once a week the tank remains stable. You don't wait to change your water when you notice your kh dropping.
That is a fair point, as well. But what works for him works for him. As long as his base parameters are stable, his KH beginning to fall should have no effect on his tank health. My bad for getting off topic.

Jellibeen

I really want to make my pink gravel look good. I think it is possible. I would love a tank with pink gravel, black sand, all red plants, and some blue deco. I was usingblue glassware but my apisto did not like his reflection. But my plant growing ability is not up for keeping all red plants. One day...

Dave125g

"The 1 inch per gallon rule"

Another popular theory. It works sometimes.

Jellibeen try the red tiger lotus. Its a piece of cake. There's quite a few easy low light low tech plants in red.

Jellibeen

Dave125g said:
"The 1 inch per gallon rule"

Another popular theory. It works sometimes.

Jellibeen try the red tiger lotus. Its a piece of cake. There's quite a few easy low light low tech plants in red.
I have a few! They're doing okay. The problem is I would need a lot of red plants to make this look good, not just a few. I think right now I am going to switch to white sand and a blackwater tank. The addition of tannins to this tank really did not compliment the pink. Somewhere down the road I will try my pink gravel again, in a smaller tank.

86 ssinit

Dave125g said:
I change my water once a week and have never checked for kh or ch. rarely check my water for anything.

aussieJJDude

Really unpopular option... but goldies can be kept in a tropical environment - aka with tropical fish.

I personally would never do it - increased metabolism isn't really going to help the cause - but I know many who have done so successfully!

86 ssinit

aosuna11 said:
No way is a goldfish better than an arowana, or a sturgeon or gar or bichir! They're sleek slI'm and sexy, and then there's... Goldfish
No goldfish aren’t better there feeders for these fish. Like guppies.

rainbowsprinkles

Unpopular opinion- corner box type filters are the best filters

Unpopular opinion- A ‘nutrient cycle’ scientifically means full circle. So only a tank with also zero nitrates -from denitrifying bacteria (nitrates to N gas) should be called “fully cycled”. *twitch*

Iverg1

Bettas can be kept in 3.5 gallons. There are space and money problems. Pink gravel is dumb in fact any gravel that doesn't look natural is dumb. Glofish are dumb. If your whole tank is pink and in a 1 gallon bowl I'm going to not answer your question. I agree that we should somehow teach more Powell about the nitrogen cycle. And that we should rewrite the betta pamphlet
Not unpopular opinions but this thread makes me want to rant so here we go *ahem*
BETTAS DON'T LIVE IN PUDDLES SO STOP TRYING TO SHOVE THEM INTO ONE. THEY ARE ALSO NOT GOLDFISH AND NEED A HEATER AND UNLESS YOU DON'T WANT THEM TO LIVE HAPPY LIVES YOU HAVE TO GET BIGGER THEN A HALF A GALLON. ALSO STOP TRYING TO PUT THEM WITH NEON TETEAS WHY DOES EVERYONE THINK THIS WORKS NO THEY NEED 20G AND ARE DIFFRENT TEMPETURES RANGES this has concluded the rant. Also when I start my store I'm not going to sell to anyone who doesn't know the nitrogen cycle and I'm going to have them fill out a test lol

aosuna11

Iverg1 said:
Bettas can be kept in 3.5 gallons. There are space and money problems. Pink gravel is dumb in fact any gravel that doesn't look natural is dumb. Glofish are dumb. If your whole tank is pink and in a 1 gallon bowl I'm going to not answer your question. I agree that we should somehow teach more Powell about the nitrogen cycle. And that we should rewrite the betta pamphlet
Not unpopular opinions but this thread makes me want to rant so here we go *ahem*
BETTAS DON'T LIVE IN PUDDLES SO STOP TRYING TO SHOVE THEM INTO ONE. THEY ARE ALSO NOT GOLDFISH AND NEED A HEATER AND UNLESS YOU DON'T WANT THEM TO LIVE HAPPY LIVES YOU HAVE TO GET BIGGER THEN A HALF A GALLON. this has concluded the rant. Also when I start my store I'm not going to sell to anyone who doesn't know the nitrogen cycle and I'm going to have them fill out a test lol
Are you going to give us discounts ?

AquaBaby

I love the blue gravel in my display tank. I love the plastic plants and all their colors. I love my "beginner fish" guppies. Why? Well, because it was set up to intrigue children. No, I don't have sponge bob in my tank. But, nevertheless, it captivates kids. They love it! And the best part of it all... my autistic nephew will stand in front of the tank for about 15 minutes just watching. Then, he'll start talking. "If I was a fish, I'd hide in that log. ..... If I was a fish, I'd be behind that rock now. ..... If I was a fish, I'd play in the bubbles now." And, then, just like magic, while he's watching the tank, you can talk with him and carry on a conversation.

So, again, I love my blue gravel, colorful plastic plants, and friendly little guppies.

Rick bose

Most of the people say that red tail sharks need a large tank of minimum 50g.
I don't feel so..I keep my red tail shark in my 28g tank and he does pretty great.
There are lots of hiding places in the tank with lots of live plants
He is well and hearty I see him moving around the tank..I have seen nothing which will indicate that he is unhappy in his tank.
The store keeps several of them in a 15 gallon tank maybe so I think keeping him in a 28g tank is a blessing for him actually.
Though I know many here won't agree with me.
But I personally think so.

DoubleDutch

A copy of their natural habitat !
aosuna11 said:
Add Flourecent green gravel, also bright orange fake plants, I heard they love that

Bry

I think with adequate adjustment, within reason, any fish could adapt to any ph or temperature. (of course don't test it with super sensitive fish) I've kept fish together successfully that aren't "temperature compatible" just fine for YEARS.

AquaticJ

Melafix and Primafix belong in your favorite trash can of choice.

DoubleDutch

AquaticJ said:
Melafix and Primafix belong in your favorite trash can of choice.
Melafix is thought to be a perfect addition for Corys facing red blotch disease.
Not as a med but as an addition to waterchanges.

I bit the same as beekeepers adding camomile to sugar solution fed, which is beneficial to digestion.

As a med it is useless to me.

allllien

I have an immense dislike of filter wool lol

Dave125g

Jellibeen said:
I have a few! They're doing okay. The problem is I would need a lot of red plants to make this look good, not just a few. I think right now I am going to switch to white sand and a blackwater tank. The addition of tannins to this tank really did not compliment the pink. Somewhere down the road I will try my pink gravel again, in a smaller tank.
Tennens could be the problem. Light has trouble getting to the plants.
86 ssinit said:
I change my water once a week and have never checked for kh or ch. rarely check my water for anything.
When fully established and weekly water changes are done. Testing is really not necessary. My parameters are identical from day 1 to day 7 in my cycle.

Jellibeen

Dave125g said:
Tennens could be the problem. Light has trouble getting to the plants.
I didn’t have any live plants before anubius when I added the driftwood. The tiger lotus was in another tank. It’s not growing much but it’s not dying.

Culprit

Unpopolar opinion:

Saltwater is easy and is not that expensive!! It's just like FW, you can have a very basic tank with just fish and some sand and rock in SW. You can setup a very simple betta tank for cheap in FW. Orrrrrrr you can start getting into corals, and reefs, and all kinds of stuff and your price can skyrocket... just like freshwater!

And another! You don't have to start your salty career with a tank that has to be over 40 gallons because anything under is very hard to keep. NOPE. In fact, a 20 gallon long is pretty much the perfect beginners tank.

Dave125g

Culprit said:
Unpopolar opinion:

Saltwater is easy and is not that expensive!! It's just like FW, you can have a very basic tank with just fish and some sand and rock in SW. You can setup a very simple betta tank for cheap in FW. Orrrrrrr you can start getting into corals, and reefs, and all kinds of stuff and your price can skyrocket... just like freshwater!

And another! You don't have to start your salty career with a tank that has to be over 40 gallons because anything under is very hard to keep. NOPE. In fact, a 20 gallon long is pretty much the perfect beginners tank.
Agree. Not unpopular with me. Lol

Culprit

Dave125g said:
Agree. Not unpopular with me. Lol
Its not really unpopular so much as people don't think its true I think.

Smalltownfishfriend

Here is mine.. I know it's very very unpopular!!
I personally don't get really upset over the small cups bettas are sold in. It's supposed to be just temporary, so hopefully they get a bigger tank in a couple of weeks...

rainbowsprinkles

Lots of glofish shade on here so I’m going with the unpopular opinion that Glofish are actually kind of cool with their jellyfish DNA

sipec

aosuna11 said:
I have a opinion on a certain type of fish, and by the amount of love I see towards them on other social media, it seems I'm a minority.

I find any other type of goldfish other than regular comets absolutely abominable. I mean Ranchus, bubble eye, telescopic eye; the fancy types, just awful. To me they look totally disfigured, but I guess that's just me.
I also hate GloFish, totally unnatural whatsoever.

Does anyone else have unpopular opinions? I felt like I couldn't be the only one that dislikes these fish and/or had a minority opinion.

EDIT: Please remember this thread was made to state opinions that are not commonly shared. Direct facts should not be contested.
An example of a fact: Tanks must be cycled before fish are added.
An example of an opinion: Bettas can be kept in a 3 gallon tank, not a 5 as a minimum.
Glofish are despicable, comets are the best goldies

DestinyStars

ANY GOLDFISH EVER lol I can't understand the hype of goldfish. Just don't find anything interesting about them and those bubble eyed ones make me cringe. Black lights over a tank. too much decor, bubble clams and pirate stuff. I have a list lol but I'm suuuuch a tank minimalist so the list is long.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using

aussieJJDude

DestinyStars said:
ANY GOLDFISH EVER lol I can't understand the hype of goldfish. Just don't find anything interesting about them and those bubble eyed ones make me cringe. Black lights over a tank. too much decor, bubble clams and pirate stuff. I have a list lol but I'm suuuuch a tank minimalist so the list is long.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using
Have you had goldies? I thought the same until I got them, and I became hooked. In a good environment, they really do shine IMO.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom