Unpopular Fish Opinions Question 

candiedragon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Dave125g said:
Agree. The replacements are still too ecpensive. I make my own now, for a fraction of the price.
I like the hagen/fluval filter medias and how you can use those to modify most filters. It's likely more cost-efficient and effective in the long run. Been meaning to do so but... I've been lazy about ordering them lol. EDIT: Actually, it's mostly that I'm not looking forward to cycle new media lol.

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
candiedragon said:
  • Quit suggesting oto catfish for beginners or otherwise new tank setups, since they're probably wild-caught they will probably only accept algae for sustenance at first before they recognize anything else as food, and by then it might be too late.
Yes. I agree so hard. They're often caught from the wild using cyanide, too, which makes their death rate even higher. They're adorable but they're not great for many aquariums.

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
candiedragon said:
I like the hagen/fluval filter medias and how you can use those to modify most filters. It's likely more cost-efficient and effective in the long run. Been meaning to do so but... I've been lazy about ordering them lol. EDIT: Actually, it's mostly that I'm not looking forward to cycle new media lol.
How long has your tank been cycled?

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Jellibeen said:
Yes. I agree so hard. They're often caught from the wild using cyanide, too, which makes their death rate even higher. They're adorable but they're not great for many aquariums.
Actually, they’re caught with nets.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
BringKermitBack said:
They use cyanide to make tthe fish go drowsy & easier to catch.
I still don’t believe they use cyanide to catch them. I prefer proof over heresay.

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
BringKermitBack said:
Here's another: EVERY fishkeeper should test KH.
Agree. That can't possible be unpopular, is it? People just assume there ph will remain stable?

scarface said:
I still don’t believe they use cyanide to catch them. I prefer proof over heresay.
Cyanide is deadly to humans in small amounts. A fish on cyanide is probably easy to catch, because its dead. I need some proof too.

Wow. Is Wikipedia enough proof?
Capture%2B_2018-10-10-19-21-30.jpg

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Dave125g said:
Wow. Is Wikipedia enough proof?View attachment 488974
I am aware that cyanide was used to catch saltwater fish, but also heard that even this wasn’t practiced as it once was. It’s the freshwater fish, specifically otocinclus that I question its use on. Seems questionable to do this on such small fish and a schooling one. I expect a cast net (throw-net) to be quite sufficient. In fact, it can be very efficient in doing the job of catching lots of fish in a relatively short period of time, with a practiced hand. I even met a guy who filled two trash barrels of fish by himself in a little over an hour’s time using a cast net.

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
scarface said:
I am aware that cyanide was used to catch saltwater fish, but also heard that even this wasn’t practiced as it once was. It’s the freshwater fish, specifically otocinclus that I question its use on. Seems questionable to practice this with such small fish. I expect a cast net (throw-net) to be quite sufficient. In fact, it can be very efficient in doing the job of catching lots of fish in a relatively short period of time, with a practiced hand.
I never even heard of cyanide fishing. I guess ignorance is bliss. I'll look that up about ottos too.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Dave125g said:
I never even heard of cyanide fishing. I guess ignorance is bliss. I'll look that up about ottos too.
I also question cyanide use in freshwater, because I ask myself, as a fisherman, why cyanide is used in the first place, particularly in regards to saltwater species—especially when there are better, more effective methods of capturing lots of fish quickly? I suspect the reason to be that they are reef fish, where netting may not be as effective. I find it odd that the same method to be used on schooling and shoaling fish. This is why I think it’s heresay, for the most part.

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
scarface said:
I also question cyanide use in freshwater, because I ask myself, as a fisherman, why cyanide is used in the first place, particularly in regards to saltwater species—especially when there are better, more effective methods of capturing lots of fish quickly? I suspect the reason to be that they are reef fish, where netting may not be as effective. I find it odd that the same method to be used on schooling and shoaling fish. This is why I think it’s heresay, for the most part.
In a brief search, it has been done for fresh water fish. Trout and so forth, it is illegal in the us. It still happens in south east Asia. It did start with riff fish for aquariums.
As far as for ottos, it seems to be a rumor. So many ottos die in the first few days, people started saying that it's due to cyanide fishing. Because cyanide is still used to catch aquarium fish, it seems to be a logical reason. Not so logical if you know a little bit about how ottos are shipped to the LFS, put in overcrowd bare bottom tanks etc...
More often then not they die of starvation. But yea it seems to be a really bad rumor that people hear and keep repeating.

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
BringKermitBack said:
It's unpopular. Most people just get the master test kit & call it a day.
Wow. Testing water source parameters including GH/KH is fishkeeping 101, I thought. Why doesn't the master kit come with GH/KH? It really shouldn't be called a master kit. In my opinion. It makes it sound like this is all you'll ever need.

shutterbug13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
stella1979 said:
Hi guys. I suppose I could say that some of you asked for it... You're right, we have been watching and 'censorship' has recently occurred on this thread.

I've quite enjoyed the light banter going on here, and many posts made me smile or even giggle with delight. I also believe that unpopular opinions must be shared so that we as a people may change for the better. With that in mind, please know that nobody has a right to attack others or be condescending. So, here are some things to consider...

To those of you that find this thread to be your standing ground for bashing others, including public figures such as those on YouTube... you are wrong. Fishlore is a community for helping others, finding your own answers, sharing experience and even opinions, yes, but it is not a place for sounding off against those you dislike. Specifically attacking people goes against the word community after all.

Fishlore is a place that we all want to be welcoming for anyone and everyone. For that reason, moderation and censorship are necessary. This is not a place to plant your flag or stand on your soapbox. Sorry folks, I don't like to be heavy-handed, but I must say, ridicule of the staff here and complaints about moderation are getting quite tiring. These are the people that make this place what it is, so please be aware that comments of this nature will not be tolerated.

Thank you.

And my own unpopular opinion... Moderation and censorship are necessary for the kind of environment we all want here.
Wait, when were you made a moderator?! Congratulations, you'll be great!

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
shutterbug13 said:
Wait, when were you made a moderator?! Congratulations, you'll be great!
Thank you!! That means a lot. The 'promotion' just happened a few weeks ago and I couldn't be prouder to have the trust of the excellent staff here.

candiedragon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Dave125g said:
How long has your tank been cycled?
Depends what tank you're talking about lol. I have a tank that's at least ten years old and all others are a little over a year now (had to shimmy stuff around and rescape).

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
candiedragon said:
Depends what tank you're talking about lol. I have a tank that's at least ten years old and all others are a little over a year now (had to shimmy stuff around and rescape).
At this point you dont need to worry about cycled media in the filters. Your tank is well established and should have plenty of BB in the substrate. If you still want to do DIY filter media and cartridges.

Scubagirl1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Lacey D said:
... that letting your son have a Spongebob pineapple house in his puffer tank might not be the end of the world afterall >_>
Hey I have one of those in with one of my bettas!! Lol. I have patrick in with another. But I'm a kid at heart.

candiedragon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Dave125g said:
At this point you dont need to worry about cycled media in the filters. Your tank is well established and should have plenty of BB in the substrate. If you still want to do DIY filter media and cartridges.
Oh no, I meant modifying all the filter media to hagen/fluval filter media. but I guess there's no sense in disturbing the BB, or rather "fixing something that isn't broken". Lol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom