Unorthodox Lighting? Any Better Alternatives?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by myerlemons, Jul 30, 2017.

1. myerlemons

myerlemons Valued Member Member

So I have a lightly planted 5g tall. Currently I'm lighting it with a Verilux HappyLight (it was what I had on hand) on a timer. I've never had an aquarium light before, and my tank's hood can't accommodate one due to its strange shape. Any suggestions? I'm worried about my plants. I have 1 broadleaf anubias and 3 anubias nana. Will this be enough??
    Pic:
    2afff33822016000080792d6e3778b30.jpg

Apologies on the water color. The driftwood is natural and I'm still cycling.

2. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

I use a dome shop light with a clamp. It was about 8 bucks.

3. OP
    OP
    myerlemons

Do you have a link? I'm just wondering where I'd clamp something like that.

4. Kellye8498

Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

Reptile section of the pet store.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2017
  5. OP
    OP
    myerlemons

It seems like a good lamp, but I don't know if I'll be able to clamp it to the rim given the weird lid. I also heard that incandescent bulbs aren't recommended for aquariums, as they can get hot.

6. Kellye8498

You can get LED bulbs for those. You would just have to buy it separately. We have LED's in ours for our chameleon. You could always attach it to something else above the aquarium like a lamp that is beside the aquarium or something else on your desk/table.

7. OP
    OP
    myerlemons

Sounds great! I'm just apprehensive because the lid is kind of translucent dark purple and I'm wondering if it won't be enough light.

8. Kellye8498

Is there a way that you could keep the lid open when you are around the tank and watching so there are no accidents with jumping or climbing out but still long periods of light? If you aren't able to watch and it's time for lights to be on you could still continue doing it the way you are with the lighting from the side. Side lighting gets closer to the bottom of the plants anyway and would be good for them. You could also look for someone who could cut you a piece of glass to fit the top instead of the plastic piece.

9. Dave125g

You can clamp it to the top of the tank. I dont trust that tho. I just got a piece of plexy glass and sat it on top. a88332853dc23fa4c27e977bdd7db9fe.jpg Lowes , home depot, and even Walmart sell them.

10. OP
    OP
    myerlemons

Yeah. Maybe I'll look into plexiglass. Thanks!

11. Dave125g

No problem. The tank on the right is plexy class with a DIY frame. The tank on the left has a lid from the kit. I just removed the stock LEDS and cut a big hole in it and covered it with plexy glass.

12. KarenW

KarenW Valued Member Member

Just as another (possibly cheaper) alternative, we got a piece of clear plastic greenhouse roofing that we cut with a box cutter.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice