75 Gallon Tank Unlikely Community Tank With Dwarf Puffer Fish

F1avor

Reaction score
It's been about 6 months since I have flooded my tank. The plants are still growing in. The fishes seem to be happy. Here are pictures of my dwarf puffer fish.IMG_20190523_175446025_HDR.jpg IMG_20190523_175457063_HDR.jpg IMG_20190523_175503796_HDR.jpg IMG_20190523_175511078_HDR.jpg

I have 3 of them in there and they sometime swim together.

Their tank mates are
1 male Betta
6 female Bettas
6 platies
6 zebra danio
1 black molly
4 amano shrimps
2 nitrile snales
1 Cory
5 ottos

I hand feed the dwarf buffers frozen bloodworms with a syringe while the rest of the fish eat the flakes.

AngryRainbow

Well Known
Reaction score
Hard to tell from the photos, but is that a figure 8 puffer? They need to be kept in brackish water. If they're pea puffers you're good

Also if you aren't already, be sure to feed the puffer lots of snails, regardless of species.

Jason Tanner

Reaction score
Interesting tank stocking, whatever works I suppose. As long as nobody is being bullied.

wrs2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not trying to be a jerk or anything, but... This tank is a disaster in the making.
The bettas will kill each other. Could be weeks, months, years, tomorrow, but it will happen. The fish are all incompatible with temperature. The cory cat needs to be in a school. I would really reconsider housing some of these fish together.

ShamFish97

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I’ll be honest this is not a good looking scenario, but life finds a way. The best way to continue would be trial and error, and hopefully backup tank(s) to separate if things go south.

Good luck!

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hahaha. Relax. Its not the worst stocking I have seen. But I would up the up the cories and add a few more line of sight breaks. And he only has one male betta in there.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
david1978 said:
Hahaha. Relax. Its not the worst stocking I have seen. But I would up the up the cories and add a few more line of sight breaks. And he only has one male betta in there.
Yes maybe adding some fresh water crabs and crayfish to this would be closeo_O. Lol well as said if all put in as young fish it may work. But yes have a couple of 10gal tanks just in case. As for add more line of sight breaks. I’d say no. Just adding something different may set those Bettas off. Best left as is and this is for as long as you have those Bettas together. Oh and the puffers May eat the Amano shrimp. Good luck and please keep us posted .

OP
F

F1avor

Reaction score
I have to agree that the stocking choice is unconventional. However things are going OK right now. A little chasing here and there but no outright bullying. Will definitely keep you all updated.

OP
F

F1avor

Reaction score
The peapuffers were getting comfortable in the 75 gallon tank. They started fin nipping the Bettas. So I moved them back to the 10 gallon tank. Maybe in a few months I will introduce them back to the 75 gallons.

TucanSam

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I love puffers but heard they are vicious at times. Hope it works out for you

New Threads