Unlevel Tank... Dangerous?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Rtessy, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Rtessy

Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

Just checked my tank and realized that one side is 1/4" lower than the other. It's a 60g. The stand is perfectly level however, so I assume that floor is not. It's on carpet, at a corner on a second story. I have it on top of a 1" thick plank of wood with all the four feet of the stand on it. I did this to displace the weight. I can't remember if the stand being level is good or bad...

2. Crafty Cichlid

Crafty Cichlid Well Known Member Member

put your level on top of the tank, to make sure it isn't water displacement from the filter flow. If the stand is level, the tank should be as well.

I would make an effort to level the tank, if it is off. Also check the joints of your tank, to make sure it isn't coming loose; mine does this sometimes.

3. RainbowJack

RainbowJack New Member Member

It alone and of itself is not a disaster. It does however lend itself to amplify any additional stresses which otherwise would not inflict damage alone turn into a cracked end glass or some other unexpected failure. I would not go into a panic but next time an opportunity allows try to correct. Maybe a major major water change, or change of substrate. I lost a tank once due to a stress fracture glass end. Popped up during a cleaning/water change. Had to check every LFS to find only one replacement available in 50 mile radius. Now that was a time of panic. I use a 36 gal Bow front. A 38 gal Bow will sit in same footprint is what saved me.

4. OP
    OP
    Rtessy

Finally found my level again, and the tank isn't quite level... I also rechecked the stand, and it's actually not quite level either. They're off by the same amount, so I guess it's the floor that's uneven. How would I go about checking the joints?

5. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

There is actually no additional stress on the side if the tank is not level. The simple reason being that if the tank is not level the highest the water will go up the side of the low side is to the rim. Which is the highest the water level could go if it were level. And since there is actually less water in a unlevel tank due to the water level not being to the rim all around, there is even less total pressure. So unless you think it looks unsightly, I wouldn't worry about it.

6. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

As long as neither tank nor stand are rocking it won't cause issue, most of my tanks have a lean just because the house isn't straight (not plumped, additions added on that weren't level, etc.), i have a tank that is over a decade old (nearly two at this point, and another that is a decade old as i got it when i was 10-11), both of those have a lean where the water sits higher on one side of the tank than the other. However the tanks are stable on their stands and the stands don't wobble, I am not worried about them as they have clean seals and sit flat on their stands.
    The 60 that i will be setting up (to take down one of my bigger tanks on the second floor) is not going to be completely flat across the water, but it will be sitting on a flat surface that doesn't rock or move. Stability is the biggest thing with tanks, which is why we suggest the tank lay flat against the stand all the way around the rim of the tank (where the stress is) - if not that is what causes stress on the tank (the rim being unlevel or not touching the stand).

7. r

radar Valued Member Member

I had a ten gallon tank that I thought looked uneven. It wasn't. I turned out the top frame was off and gave the appearance of being uneven looking at water level. Just something to check.

8. OP
    OP
    Rtessy

The water inside moves a bit when I walk by, but the stand and tank don't move. Thansk for the tip about the rim, but in this case it's definitely the tank and stand that are a bit off level, but that's a good thing to keep in mind.

9. Fishaholic58

Fishaholic58 Valued Member Member

Same. My tank and stand is on carpet in the corner of my room and it is uneven. Oh well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice