Unlabled Plant Identification Help

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by TK Titanium, Apr 24, 2019.

1. TK TitaniumNew MemberMember

Hello all, I just picked up this new plant from my LFS. They had just gotten their plant shipment in and were in the middle of sorting them when I arrived, as a result of the sorting they weren't sure what it was or even if it was supposed to be part of the order. There's the backstory, I've done a bit of research but I'm still not entirely sure that I've identified it correctly. As such, I wouldn't mind the opinion of someone more knowledgeable than myself. Thanks. IMG_0156.jpgIMG_0157.jpg

2. CrazycoryfishladyWell Known MemberMember

Looks like anacharis but longer leaves and bigger than ones I've seen and owned.
    I think some people say it does better floating than planted, but it can still be planted.

3. FahnFishlore VIPMember

Looks a lot like Hydrilla verticillata. If I am right, this is a highly invasive species, you may be better off destroying it.

4. SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

Uh oh. That MAY be Hydrilla. You can identify Hydrilla by it's leaves' serrated edges. Hydrilla is a highly, HIGHLY invasive species (especially in Florida) that cannot be planted in an aquarium! IF it is Hydrilla, I recommend removing it immediately, drying it out, and burning it. And I repeat do NOT, flush it, or expose it to any natural body of water, as that is illegal. DESTROY it.

Watch:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2019
  5. TK TitaniumNew MemberMember

Thanks for responding. I was afraid it might be Hydrilla from my own research. I was holding out hope since it doesn't have any teeth on the midribs (that I can see).

6. SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

It's like the Alien Xenomorph: "Perfect" but deadly and cunning, naturally...a killer for an ecosystem. Or a virus.

7. CrazycoryfishladyWell Known MemberMember

Here is egeria najas.....

And a photo from florida state university of hydrilla....
    Screenshot_2019-04-24-19-08-42.png
    There was one photo there of a serated leaf plant but it didn't look the same as op's....
    I do not think it should immediately be destroyed.

If you havent yet rid of it... Take a photo of it out of water?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  8. SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

Yes. Close resemblance eh?! COuld be either...doubt some pet store would have some invasive species, so you're probably correct in that respect CrazyCoryFIshLady...

9. TK TitaniumNew MemberMember

Greeting fellow Spokane-ite! I have not destroyed it yet, what kind of picture would be most helpful to you?

10. CrazycoryfishladyWell Known MemberMember

I was sort of thinking the same, but I also know it's not totally impossible that some shop has a vendor who is sending them wildly collected specimens.
    But -generally- they don't have a whole lot of collected things at fish stores outside of our wild caught fish that are too difficult to breed.
    It's not impossible to grow their own plants or they wouldn't sell them I guess?
    Who knows... I'm still looking at more photos..

Ohhhh you're from spokane too?!?! Yess!!! Did you get it from northwest seed??? It's likely anacharis if you got it from them xD I know they've had it before.
    And I'm not really sure we have that plant here... Lol! 2000 miles away!
    Didn't even check to see where you lived xD
    (But I guess it's also not listed!)

Another close up of the leaf structure... Like the lines across it and connecting to the base of the stem, a photo of the new growth from above, and then just one from afar so I can see the sheen on the leaves I guess, since they sort of shine in different ways it seems to me xD

11. SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

Kinda creepy it was unlabeled, or a "misship" though... o_O

12. TK TitaniumNew MemberMember

Okay, here are some pictures out of water. Sorry it took so long, I have to do some electronic acrobatics to post them. Just now saw your edit for more photos. I'll see what I can do.

I actually got it from Aquatic Dreams and Beyond. Nice little store.

Attached Files:

13. CrazycoryfishladyWell Known MemberMember

That was the other one I was thinking! But just didn't mention xD

I haven't seen their plant section in a while, but I did talk to him about his vendors before and most of them are more local, and not too far like over 500 miles away let alone 2000... Hehe
    But I do know from researching that hydrilla is in a few different places other than florida.

Hydrilla has a very specifc star type shape of leaf growth where as naja is more "wild" and all over the place coming out of areas it looks like it maybe shouldn't, bracketed almost instead of all inline with each other.
    I also haven't seen any feeder roots while looking at photos of hydrillia but I know anacharis grows them so you can cut below them take off some leaves and it'll root more
    I definitely think that this is a type of anacharis..:p

Also side note... I always buy my heaters from his store because he carries the best quality for the lowest price.. The others aren't as nice or protected, nor do they heat as well imo..
    I love that man and his store! Was thinking about going back but I'm embarrassed to go! When I had ich he let me have a drift wood to encourage my pleco to eat... Shortly after it worked, but that was over half a year ago and he said bring it back in a few weeks! :confused:
    I was scared of giving him any disease so I kept it longer but only really just now got around to keeping it in nice fresh water.
    I had it outside yesterday and it disappeared!
    I hope he forgot about it.. :facepalm::rolleyes:

14. TK TitaniumNew MemberMember

Okie Dokie, here are some more.

You're right, I didn't post location, that one is on me. Ha ha.

Edit: There, fixed.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  15. CrazycoryfishladyWell Known MemberMember

That was the other one I was thinking! But just didn't mention xD

I haven't seen their plant section in a while, but I did talk to him about his vendors before and most of them are more local, and not too far like over 500 miles away let alone 2000... Hehe
    But I do know from researching that hydrilla is in a few different places other than florida.

Hydrilla has a very specifc star type shape of leaf growth where as naja is more "wild" and all over the place coming out of areas it looks like it maybe shouldn't, bracketed almost instead of all inline with each other.
    I also haven't seen any feeder roots while looking at photos of hydrillia but I know anacharis grows them so you can cut below them take off some leaves and it'll root more
    I definitely think that this is a type of anacharis..:p

Also side note... I always buy my heaters from his store because he carries the best quality for the lowest price.. The others aren't as nice or protected, nor do they heat as well imo..
    What kind of selection of plants did you see??? I want to go!!
    I love that man and his store! Was thinking about going back but I'm embarrassed to go! When I had ich he let me have a drift wood to encourage my pleco to eat... Shortly after it worked, but that was over half a year ago and he said bring it back in a few weeks! :confused:
    I was scared of giving him any disease so I kept it longer but only really just now got around to keeping it in nice fresh water.
    I had it outside yesterday and it disappeared!
    I hope he forgot about it.. :facepalm::rolleyes:

16. TK TitaniumNew MemberMember

And one more that didn't make it into the first post apparently.

They had quite a few plants layed out on the floor as they sorted them. I didn't recognize too many but I definitely saw new Hornwort and Wisteria. He was showing me a plant he called an onion, not entirely sure how to interpret that since it didn't have a bulb but did have a very similar leaf structure. They were having difficulties since none of the plants in the shipment had any labels whatsoever so they have were having to figure it out themselves.

It's very true though, Matt has been nothing but pleasant every time I have visited and his prices are surprisingly low. He gave me both bunches of this plant for a little under $6.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2019
  17. bryangarWell Known MemberMember

That’s not hydrilla. That’s anacharis najas

18. SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

Yeah, Hydrilla seems to have much more space between nodes...vertically...

19. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

Yes anacharis. Great plant. Can be planted or floated. 42622081-0B06-4A1F-A5CE-F4417034ABCB.jpeg Planted on left side of tank :). Mixed with some hornwort.

20. TK TitaniumNew MemberMember

Thanks everyone, I appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge. The fact that it is good news doesn’t hurt either.