Unknown Snail

1. Rebecca Talbott

Rebecca Talbott Initiate Member

Is this a baby assasine snail? Any thoughts on how it ended up in my tank? The only thing I have added recently are two mystery snails about 2 months ago. I haven't had any egg clutches. Could one of them been carrying an egg on his shell or something? I just noticed this little guy yesterday. I don't see any others. Thanks. 0526181034.jpg

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Ramshorn :)

3. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!

That is a ramshorn snail; a quick breeder pest snail. Have you added any plants lately? He might have hitchhiked on the mysteries lol

4. OP
    OP
    Rebecca Talbott

Nope. No plants. Should I pull him out? I don't see any others. I like snails but don't want my tank overrun.

5. OP
    OP
    Rebecca Talbott

Doh! Just found another one!

6. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Rams horns don’t reproduce crazily IME.

They just stop when they reach a certain capacity

7. Ms rose

Ms rose Well Known Member Member

i agree thet they only have as many babes as the tank can feed. so if you dont over feed you will only have a few. i love mine, they came in on some plants, and the amshorns only about doubled their coclony where as the bladder snails over ran my tank. i started with anywwhere from 3 to 5 rams now i have no more then 15, tthey came in in march, so it took that long to get 15 out of them

8. OP
    OP
    Rebecca Talbott

Thanks everyone! I'll just leave them be then.

9. InsanityShard

InsanityShard Well Known Member Member

Be careful if you have any bottom feeders, the main reason they outbred my tank and destroyed almost everything was I couldn't exactly stop feeding my apple snails and my bristlenose catfish, and the outcompeted them easily on food and bred to the hundreds in a 60g.

10. OP
    OP
    Rebecca Talbott

It's just a 10 gal with a betta, 1 nerite, and 1 mystery snail.