Unknown Plant

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Savwingrove, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Savwingrove

SavwingroveValued MemberMember

hey guys so I bought a house pant about a week ago threw away the name as I thought I would just remember it ! Well I can’t haha!

I know the name starts with an a and I know it’s not the Amazon sword plant but looks pretty similar! I think the tag said that it was an Africa something.

Gonna add the best pic I have of it for now and add a better one when I get home!! Been itching my brain to figure out what it is but just haven’t had any luck!

Attached Files:

2. GrayGray4231

GrayGray4231Well Known MemberMember

I am pretty sure it is an Anubias barteri var. nana

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2018
  3. OP
    OP
    Savwingrove

Okay! Interesting... thank you!

4. JoeCamaro

JoeCamaroWell Known MemberMember

Anubias are from Africa, so makes sense.
    I believe I saw an Anubias that had something Africa in the plastic tag at one of the chain stores.

5. OP
    OP
    Savwingrove

Thanks it is an Anubias!! Just wrote that word into my history for when I researched if the plant was safe for my Betta! And there it pops up Anubias thank you!!! My brain alcan finally rest until the next thing haha

6. JoeCamaro

Is it planted in the substrate?
    You should let the rhizome above the substrate for it to thrive. You can plant the roots, but leave the rhizome out or you can tie the plant to a rock or driftwood.

7. OP
    OP
    Savwingrove

So I planted it into the substrate and will check if the rhizome is above, thank you! .. I saw a couple days ago that one of the leaves are starting to die off and really don’t want the whole plant to die! The tank also has very low light at the moment because of the filter being too big to put the tanks lid on... and the lid has the light... will it be okay with low light for a couple weeks? Thank you both so much for your help!!

8. ljm0104

ljm0104Valued MemberMember

Depending on what kind of light it was grown in you will probably get some of the leaves melting back with light changes. If you could move the tank closer to the window that may help or to move the plant to the side of the tank near the window just to help if your light is super low. You may get algae growth with the tank being near the window but it will also probably help the plant as in my experience anubias likes a good amount of light. Anubias is a very slow growing plant so be prepared to possibly not notice any new growth for several weeks or a month.

Either way I would definitely try to increase the lighting situation on the tank if you want to keep plants. Possibly doing away with the lid and getting a clip on light like Finnex Sting Ray Clip On depending on the size of your tank.

9. JoeCamaro

I think it should be ok. Anubias are generally undemanding. I think they do good in low light, but you may want to read about your specific species.

And you're welcome.

You could also use another light source, like a desk lamp or something.

10. OP
    OP
    Savwingrove

Thank you! Will be moving it!

G
    Good idea

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice