Unknown Plant

  • Thread starter

Savwingrove

Valued Member
Messages
58
Reaction score
15
Points
18
hey guys so I bought a house pant about a week ago threw away the name as I thought I would just remember it ! Well I can’t haha!

I know the name starts with an a and I know it’s not the Amazon sword plant but looks pretty similar! I think the tag said that it was an Africa something.

Gonna add the best pic I have of it for now and add a better one when I get home!! Been itching my brain to figure out what it is but just haven’t had any luck!
 

Attachments

GrayGray4231

Well Known Member
Messages
598
Reaction score
158
Points
48
Experience
1 year
  • Thread starter

Savwingrove

Valued Member
Messages
58
Reaction score
15
Points
18

JoeCamaro

Well Known Member
Messages
932
Reaction score
744
Points
138
Experience
1 year
Anubias are from Africa, so makes sense.
I believe I saw an Anubias that had something Africa in the plastic tag at one of the chain stores.
 
  • Thread starter

Savwingrove

Valued Member
Messages
58
Reaction score
15
Points
18
Thanks it is an Anubias!! Just wrote that word into my history for when I researched if the plant was safe for my Betta! And there it pops up Anubias thank you!!! My brain alcan finally rest until the next thing haha
 

JoeCamaro

Well Known Member
Messages
932
Reaction score
744
Points
138
Experience
1 year
Is it planted in the substrate?
You should let the rhizome above the substrate for it to thrive. You can plant the roots, but leave the rhizome out or you can tie the plant to a rock or driftwood.
 
  • Thread starter

Savwingrove

Valued Member
Messages
58
Reaction score
15
Points
18
JoeCamaro said:
Is it planted in the substrate?
You should let the rhizome above the substrate for it to thrive. You can plant the roots, but leave the rhizome out or you can tie the plant to a rock or driftwood.
So I planted it into the substrate and will check if the rhizome is above, thank you! .. I saw a couple days ago that one of the leaves are starting to die off and really don’t want the whole plant to die! The tank also has very low light at the moment because of the filter being too big to put the tanks lid on... and the lid has the light... will it be okay with low light for a couple weeks? Thank you both so much for your help!!
 

ljm0104

Valued Member
Messages
87
Reaction score
7
Points
93
Experience
More than 10 years
Depending on what kind of light it was grown in you will probably get some of the leaves melting back with light changes. If you could move the tank closer to the window that may help or to move the plant to the side of the tank near the window just to help if your light is super low. You may get algae growth with the tank being near the window but it will also probably help the plant as in my experience anubias likes a good amount of light. Anubias is a very slow growing plant so be prepared to possibly not notice any new growth for several weeks or a month.

Either way I would definitely try to increase the lighting situation on the tank if you want to keep plants. Possibly doing away with the lid and getting a clip on light like depending on the size of your tank.
 

JoeCamaro

Well Known Member
Messages
932
Reaction score
744
Points
138
Experience
1 year
I think it should be ok. Anubias are generally undemanding. I think they do good in low light, but you may want to read about your specific species.

And you're welcome.

You could also use another light source, like a desk lamp or something.
 
  • Thread starter

Savwingrove

Valued Member
Messages
58
Reaction score
15
Points
18
ljm0104 said:
Depending on what kind of light it was grown in you will probably get some of the leaves melting back with light changes. If you could move the tank closer to the window that may help or to move the plant to the side of the tank near the window just to help if your light is super low. You may get algae growth with the tank being near the window but it will also probably help the plant as in my experience anubias likes a good amount of light. Anubias is a very slow growing plant so be prepared to possibly not notice any new growth for several weeks or a month.

Either way I would definitely try to increase the lighting situation on the tank if you want to keep plants. Possibly doing away with the lid and getting a clip on light like depending on the size of your tank.
Thank you! Will be moving it!

G
JoeCamaro said:
You could also use another light source, like a desk lamp or something.
Good idea
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom