Unknown Loach

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Its been some time and this assumed girl has grown a bit but her markings havent changed (gave it a chance in case paleness was due to acclimatizing since some loaches pale with stress). But still pale coffee gold colour with a dark lateral stripe, gold yellow spots on the tail, and black nose. All white belly.

Willingly hangs out with both my kuhlis and my javas, but doesnt seem to be one of them like each respectively are with their own kind (javas do java things together, kuhlis do kuhli things together). This one sorta just mingles as she sees fit. Shes got a more slender form compared to the kuhlis and javas too and the white belly extends halfway up the body

I call her a half and half lol

But any clue what she is? Definitely not a pangio oblonga (java). One photo has a java to the right of her to compare. Another of her with one of the kuhlis.

I have a video of her too but ill upload it on my lunch later

Edit: Here is the video of her

I will also get some other photos of her

Attachments

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
NoodleKeeper said:
Its been some time and this assumed girl has grown a bit but her markings havent changed (gave it a chance in case paleness was due to acclimatizing since some loaches pale with stress). But still pale coffee gold colour with a dark lateral stripe, gold yellow spots on the tail, and black nose. All white belly.

Willingly hangs out with both my kuhlis and my javas, but doesnt seem to be one of them like each respectively are with their own kind (javas do java things together, kuhlis do kuhli things together). This one sorta just mingles as she sees fit. Shes got a more slender form compared to the kuhlis and javas too and the white belly extends halfway up the body

But any clue what she is? Definitely not a pangio oblonga (java). One photo has a java to the left of her to compare.

I am going to say Pangio cf. anguillaris?

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Here we go, more photos of her. Sorry had to return to work lol

I also added the video promised to the first post as well.

Attachments

Rick bose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
NoodleKeeper said:
Here we go, more photos of her. Sorry had to return to work lol

I also added the video promised to the first post as well.
Thanks! I still think it is a Pangio cf. anguillaris.

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Rick bose said:
Looks like kuhli loach.
Kuhlis are yellow with brown/black stripes, i do have 3 of those but shes not one of them

NC122606 said:
Thanks! I still think it is a Pangio cf. anguillaris.
She does resemble that one the most, aside that shes not quite *that* long in the body, but browsing shows some shorter bodied variations, so next work break ill look more into that

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
NoodleKeeper said:
Kuhlis are yellow with brown/black stripes, i do have 3 of those but shes not one of them

She does resemble that one the most, aside that shes not quite *that* long in the body, but browsing shows some shorter bodied variations, so next work break ill look more into that
Also, check Loaches Online.

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
NC122606 said:
Also, check Loaches Online.
I signed up awhile ago but im still pending full registration... seems no active admin?

NUOL-P00111 | Pangio sp. (cf. anguillaris) tbh this one looks a lot like mine, only slightly more faded.

I ordered this one online as a "java" and surprise she came different lol not that id mind, but i dont think i can easily get some of her own kind. At least she mingles well with my others, but still, loaches do best with some of their own around :/ shes not timid and seems pretty happy to come out...

But its restrictive to buy fish online in Canada as it is, and my area is even more restrictive on the variety of loaches--my striped kuhlis had to be ordered online as my area ONLY sells javas. So much so that the petstores here don't even know striped kuhlis even exist... so to be able to find more of her kind on purpose will not be easy :/ probably not even possible.

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
NoodleKeeper said:
I signed up awhile ago but im still pending full registration... seems no active admin?

NUOL-P00111 | Pangio sp. (cf. anguillaris) tbh this one looks a lot like mine, only slightly more faded.

I ordered this one online as a "java" and surprise she came different lol not that id mind, but i dont think i can easily get some of her own kind. At least she mingles well with my others, but still, loaches do best with some of their own around :/ shes not timid and seems pretty happy to come out...

But its restrictive to buy fish online in Canada as it is, and my area is even more restrictive on the variety of loaches--my striped kuhlis had to be ordered online as my area ONLY sells javas. So much so that the petstores here don't even know striped kuhlis even exist... so to be able to find more of her kind on purpose will not be easy :/ probably not even possible.
Yeah probably no admins since it is old, I would just use it for loach ID. Agree with your choice also.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In my opinion it is a Pangio oblonga

Rick bose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
NoodleKeeper said:

Not all type of kuhli loaches are yellow with black/brown stripes. Some type of kuhli loaches don't have them. They are unbanded kuhli loaches, also known as java loach, black kuhli and chocolate kuhli.

So they are one type of kuhli loach. Pangio Oblonga(as DoubleDutch said) is another name for unbanded kuhli loaches. I am pretty sure they are kuhli loaches, but the the yellow and black/brown banded one but the unbanded one.
You can call it by many name but they are still one kind of kuhli loach.

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Rick bose said:
Not all type of kuhli loaches are yellow with black/brown stripes. Some type of kuhli loaches don't have them. They are unbanded kuhli loaches, also known as java loach, black kuhli and chocolate kuhli.

So they are one type of kuhli loach. Pangio Oblonga(as DoubleDutch said) is another name for unbanded kuhli loaches. I am pretty sure they are kuhli loaches, but the the yellow and black/brown banded one but the unbanded one.
Pangio oblonga yeah is often dubbed a "black kuhli" etc but isnt truly the same as a true kuhli (striped ones are pangio kuhli, whole different species), which is usually where i try to keep the names separate because they are separate species, so that was on me, sorry. I try to stick to the separate names to prevent confusion haha, it backfired. I usually refer to them as java loaches.

However, i really dont think she is a pangio oblonga (black/cinnamon/chocolate kuhli, java). None have the dark lateral stripe and their white belly does not extend halfway up the body. Also different proportions, this fish is more slender. Behaviorally she is different as well. She does not stick together with either of my oblongas or kuhlis though she sometimes hangs out. Shes off on her own a lot. She doesnt "school" with them for lack of better words. If she followed one species over the other, id have thought she was an odd oblonga, and i waited to see if she would but she doesnt. Given that plus the deviation of the markings, i do not believe her to be an oblonga at all.

In flash photos she shows a sandy gold colour with fine speckling on the upper mantle.

Second photo shows one of my oblongas, uniform and dark. She is so much "longer" than the stocky oblongas. More snake-like.

Attachments

GlennO

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Rick bose said:
It's true that in the aquarium trade they are often referred to as different types of Khuli's (black, striped etc). But only the striped ones are Pangio Khuli. The others are separate species (not just colour varieties) and the OP is trying to identify one of them.

Edit: Sorry OP beat me to it with a better explanation

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score

Coptapia

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
“Although recognition of individual species has usually not been difficult for field workers, a substantial number of secondary publications (aquarium literature, etc.) gives the impression of a rather chaotic systematics. We believe that this is mostly due to a lack of familiarity with the geographic area concerned and its fauna, access to limited material without reliable locality information, etc. The apparent nomenclatural instability is partly due to some of the early original descriptions, but is in our opinion mostly due to: a) the accumulation of contradictory accounts and identifications based on a few old and poorly preserved and documented museum specimens; b) lack of serious tracking and checking of original accounts and old literature; c) insufficient perception of the variability of colour patterns resulting from lack of field experience and access to small series only.”
https://lkcnhm.nus.edu.sg/app/uploads/2017/06/41rbz203-249.pdf

Yours shows the ‘adipose keel’ of the oblonga group. The two little pale patches top and bottom of the caudal peduncle. The anguillaris group doesn’t have this feature, and they’re significantly longer and more eel-like species.
Some individuals of the oblonga group do have that two-tone appearance.

CHJ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Black kuhli. No wait, they are half another color.

CaptainAquatics

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
NoodleKeeper said:

But any clue what she is? Definitely not a pangio oblonga (java). One photo has a java to the right of her to compare. Another of her with one of the kuhlis.

Edit: Here is the video of her

I will also get some other photos of her
I would guess just a oddball kuli loach

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom