Unknown Invert In Shrimp Tank

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Drewdan, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Drewdan

DrewdanNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    Just started
    Set up my cherry shrimp tank about a month ago and I saw this little isopod looking fella in my Java moss and on my sponge filter a few days ago but I had no idea what it was and I couldn't get a good picture or view of them. I was just able to get decently good pictures of it so any help with IDing them and letting me know if they're OK to keep or if I should try to get it and any others out will be appreciated! Thanks! 20190805_150322.20190805_150316.20190805_150252.

2. MissNoodle

MissNoodleWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +770
    Its a scud! Beneficial for fish tanks, theyre good clean up of debris and they make good food for fish... so if you get more you could use as live food for other fish!

3. OP
    OP
    Drewdan

DrewdanNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    Just started
    Oh nice, I was worried it was gonna end up being something harmful to the shrimp but that makes me feel much better. Thanks for your quick reply!

4. MissNoodle

MissNoodleWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +770
    A scud is a type of freshwater shrimp, just stay really small like it is. Theyre healthy in tanks, they eat detritus, but will scavenge whatever else you feed your shrimp too.

Ive been trying to get a colony going myself for a source of live food. But theyre so small im unsure if ive lost the few i had lol