Advertising

1. Amazon PRIME Day is today!
    Stock up on aquarium goodies!

No PRIME membership? No problem, sign up for a 30 Day Free Prime Trial to take advantage of the PRIME day sale prices!

Dismiss Notice

Unknown Disease

1. c

cjbradford02 New Member Member

I have recently lost a Betta and a neon tetra in my small 3 gallon tank, I am afraid I will lose yet another tetra from some disease that I have been unable to identify. I have been using easy strips to check my water, but after the deaths I had it checked by my LFS and they said it only had a small spike in ammonia common after fish have died. But my one of my other neon tetras have begun to show signs of disease. The symptoms are an almost white ring between the dorsal fin and tail, and it appears to be almost decaying around the middle ground between dorsal and tail. If anyone knows what this might be and how it can be treated it would be a great help. I don't want to lose another tetra.
    Thank you for your time.

2. AtomicMudkip

AtomicMudkip Valued Member Member

Hi there,
    Test strips are notoriously inaccurate but if it is all you can afford at the moment, they will suffice. Try and invest in an API Freshwater Master Test kit. Neons are schooling fish and require a 15 gallon long MINIMUM as they are quite active. The disease could be fin rot but I'm not too sure. Hopefully others will chime in.
    Good luck!
    ~Mudkipz

3. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Did the LFS say what your ammonia level was? How many neons do you have in the tank? How often are you doing water changes and how much do you change? Do you use Prime (or other water conditioner) to protect the fish? What kind of filter and media? Unfortunately a 3 gallon is barely big enough for a betta so my guess is they died from ammonia poisoning.

4. Aster

Aster Well Known Member Member

Saddleback columnaris?

I agree with everything said above, only the betta should be in the 3 gallon. Neons are too active, require schools of 6+, and therefore create too much waste.

5. OP
    OP
    c

cjbradford02 New Member Member

So I've read your messages and will look into investing in a new tank, but for those asking I do water changes about twice a week and about 15-20% each change as I understand that water parameters change quickly in such a small tank, but for dechlorination I use API tap water conditioner and since I have had trouble with columnaris/cottonmouth in past experiences I have been medicating with mardel Maracyn Plus. For my filter it is a simple undergravel filter with a gravel substrate. I hope this helps any who were asking, and thank you for your time.

6. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Fish are more likely to get sick if they're under stress and being cramped into a small space, living in unclean water, overcrowding, and the presence of an aggressive species all contribute to the stress. This weakens the immune system and leaves them vulnerable to disease. If you can't get a larger tank soon I recommend rehoming the neons ASAP.

Advertising