Unknown disease, selectively killing bottom feeders? Maybe plants

Kweve47

I have a 55g established tank (at least 3 years old) with black skirt tetras, mollies, ottos, , Amano shrimp, dwarf crayfish, and a single gourami (killed his brethren). The tank is planted with amazon swords, anubias, and Java moss.
A little over a month ago I quarantined and added additional ottos to the tank (some had been caught in the filter and died, I have sponges now). All was well for awhile, but about 3 weeks ago I pulled out my anubias to help take algae off the leaves (toothbrushed them) the week following my anubias showed signs if death with leaves skeletizing and falling off. I assumed I had waited too long between cleaning them so I cut of the rotting leaves and cleaned the tank of debris. Did a partial water tank.
Shortly thereafter, I notice I'm not seeing my ottos, bc of all the invertebrates when things die they disappear. I notice the gourami has some scale abrasions that look like it had been rubbing. So I do a partial water change and start dosing with Melafix and pimafix. The gourami has cleared up and the anubias are showing new growth after the pruning but this morning I have a dead Otto and dead crayfish (this is most surprising because in the past they've seemed to me unkillable).
Now im wonder what in the heck is going on with my tank and I'm worried it will continue to progress. My water quality is all on point, it was a bit hard because I was waiting on a new softener pillow -added now.
I don't want a total tank kill, which I've seen before several years ago. Does anyone have any thoughts or insights?
I apologize for grammatical errors and typos, this website is not super mobile-browser friendly

Wouldratherwatchaquarium

Sounds baffling to me

Fill in the emergency template mate. People here will have answers I'm sure.

Upvote 0

Kweve47

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 55g
How long has the tank been running? 3+years
Does it have a filter? 2 HOB 70g
Does it have a heater? 2
What is the water temperature? 78f
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
1 gourami
7 black skirt tetras
6 mollies
O ottos (had 5)
2 dwarf mexican crayfish (had 3)
8-9 Amano shrimp

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? 2-3 times a month
How much of the water do you change? Around 50%
What do you use to treat your water? API tap water conditioner
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Both

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? Strips, used to have a kit but it expired and it's been stable for so long
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: unknown (use aquaclear ammonia absorber in filter -rrplace regularly)
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm
pH: 7.o

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? 6-7 times a month
How much do you feed your fish? Enough that no left overs after 15 mins
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Tetra min flakes, some sinking wafers
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?
Occasional blood worm or shrimp

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? Varies, most recent addition ottos over a month ago
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Last 7 days
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Ottos showing wasting, reddening around gills the disappear (likely eaten). Gourami showed signs of rubbing at top of head, specialized fins short - improved after melafix and pimafix, dwarf crayfish found dead today. No symptoms noticed
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Metafix/pimafix
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Ootos showed behavior change, all others consistent

Explain your emergency situation in detail.

I have a 55g established tank (at least 3 years old) with black skirt tetras, mollies, ottos, , Amano shrimp, dwarf crayfish, and a single gourami (killed his brethren). The tank is planted with amazon swords, anubias, and Java moss.
A little over a month ago I quarantined and added additional ottos to the tank (some had been caught in the filter and died, I have sponges now). All was well for awhile, but about 3 weeks ago I pulled out my anubias to help take algae off the leaves (toothbrushed them) the week following my anubias showed signs if death with leaves skeletizing and falling off. I assumed I had waited too long between cleaning them so I cut of the rotting leaves and cleaned the tank of debris. Did a partial water tank.
Shortly thereafter, I notice I'm not seeing my ottos, bc of all the invertebrates when things die they disappear. I notice the gourami has some scale abrasions that look like it had been rubbing. So I do a partial water change and start dosing with Melafix and pimafix. The gourami has cleared up and the anubias are showing new growth after the pruning but this morning I have a dead Otto and dead crayfish (this is most surprising because in the past they've seemed to me unkillable).
Now im wonder what in the heck is going on with my tank and I'm worried it will continue to progress. My water quality is all on point, it was a bit hard because I was waiting on a new softener pillow -added now.
I don't want a total tank kill, which I've seen before several years ago. Does anyone have any thoughts or insights?
I apologize for grammatical errors and typos, this website is not super mobile-browser friendly

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
30 Gallon Tank Disease
Replies
Views
Gina99
Replies
Views
schoney711
Replies
Views