Unknown Disease/Mass Murder- Help

Sam M

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hey guys! was wondering if anybody had ever heard of this before or could offer any advice. I will start off with the basic information
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20
Tank size: 45 gallons
Filtration: marineland emperor
Set up date: May 2019
in November of 2019 I received three ranchu goldfish to put in my tank which already had two other goldfish. One was unexpected “surprise” from the seller and a baby, so he stayed out of the tank until he grew a bit more. While I am aware that this is overstocking, one of the goldfish in there was severely stunted at only about 4 inches fully grown and I monitored my levels and cleaned the tank every three days. My levels looked great and all the fish where happy.
I quarantined the new fish for four weeks and then added them into the tank. A about a week later, sometime in the beginning of december, one of my orandas came down with dropsy. By the time I was able to catch it he was far too gone. I stuck him in quarantine and attempted treatment but he died within a week.
About three weeks later, on december 23rd, my second oranda caught a dropsy-like illness. He bloated and pineconed but would still eat and seemed to have some life left to him. I attempted treatment but he also died, this time within three days. He had been starting to look better and then I came back to check an hour later and he was dead.
This has completely eliminated the two orandas that I initially had in the tank.
Two days ago, which was three weeks after my second oranda died, my white ranchu started to act a little lethargic. I put him in quarantine and he honestly seemed to act better within an hour or two and died the next morning. This fish didn’t even get to pineconing before he died.
At this point, I have two ranchu left in my tank- the baby and the one I ordered. These two fish came from the *SAME BREEDER* and have been the only fish that I have had from this breeder. They both look to be doing fantastic and have not been phased at all during this entire ordeal.
I am beginning to have suspicions that they are carrying something that killed all of my other fish. I don’t know what even ended up killing my fish other than two out of the three pineconed and that’s a sign of dropsy. I’m not sure what to do at this point as anything else that I put in this tank will end up dead in less than a month. Any advice? has anyone ever heard of this happening before?

NevermindIgnoreMe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I had a very similar experience not to long ago, with contagious dropsy wiping out a tank even with perfect parameters. I found it was just a bad batch of fish, and it only happened to specific fish from one seller's batch. Certain tanks may have one type if bacteria that is totally neutral to its inhabitants, but then the fish are sold to a different home where the other fish aren't used to it, and it kills them. This is just something we cant help sometimes, and it stinks. :(

Sam M

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
NevermindIgnoreMe said:
I had a very similar experience not to long ago, with contagious dropsy wiping out a tank even with perfect parameters. I found it was just a bad batch of fish, and it only happened to specific fish from one seller's batch. Certain tanks may have one type if bacteria that is totally neutral to its inhabitants, but then the fish are sold to a different home where the other fish aren't used to it, and it kills them. This is just something we cant help sometimes, and it stinks. :(
Thank you so much for the reply. It really does stink :( I’m so sorry that you’ve had the same experience although I’m glad to hear that someone else has gone through something similar and that I’m not just going crazy. What did you do with the carriers? I’d like to restock my tank eventually, but am scared to add anything else into the tank due to a fear that it will die.. I’m also torn on rehoming them and infecting someone else’s system.

NevermindIgnoreMe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I unfortunaltey had none left from that tank. :'( But I would keep them separate, and in a different room with separate equipment from any other tanks. I would risk rehoming them, it could destroy some one elses tank. Just keep them separate. If say, you have a 75 gallon which was stocked with 5 fish, and then 3 died, and now you don't want to have the tank be so empty, you have two options.
1: Let the remaining fish keep the ginormous tank.
2: Setup a new tank for the fish, and leave the big one alone for say 2 months, and let the bacteria die out.
It is kind of comforting to me too that someone has dealt with the same issues. But unfortunately those issues aren't good, or ones I would prefer to be shared with others. :(

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom