Unknown Disease, Help! My favorite guppy :(

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by red_ibis, Apr 1, 2010.

1. r

red_ibis New Member Member

We have a female guppy who very recently (today) developed some kind of strange ailment.
    Her tail used to be a half moon shape with a clear edge, but now it looks like there's a strange filmy growth near the top of her tail, and the clear edge near the top looks like it's being eaten away, with white edges where there used to be clear fin. It looks like fin rot and I'm worried about the underlying cause.

Also, underneath her dorsal (top) fin, there seems to be a strange red growth/inflammation/sore sort of thing. I'm worried about this one because I've never seen it before in the previous cases of guppies we lost.

What kind of disease could this be? Could it be columnaris? We've lost guppies in this tank to possible cases of parasites and one potential case of saddleback columnaris (unsure about this diagnosis, but the symptoms the dead fish had were very similar to pictures and descriptions found online). We have medicated before with Jungle Parasite Clear.
    I'm very worried about her, she's my favorite guppy! :(
    Pictures are included here pinpointing the problem areas.

Behavior - she seemed perfectly fine today, eating well and swimming well. Within the past few hours, she seems to be a bit more lethargic, hanging out a lot near the top, but she is still swimming around and not isolating herself to one area.

3.jpg
    4.jpg

We have a 20gal tank with about 5 guppies, 4 zebrafish, 5 neon tetras.
    We use a Aqueon 70-gal power filter.
    Water parameters are Nitrite 0.2, ammonia 0.2 (recently established/cycling tank), Temperature at about 79 degrees F.

I've been hearing that it's probably just because the tank is cycling/bad water conditions, but she's been here since the beginning and has been perfectly fine up til now...I'd appreciate cures/disease diagnoses besides just changing the water. Thanks for your help, I really hope we can save her in time :(

2. steed1172

steed1172 Well Known Member Member

thats one of the best things to do, especialy since most, if not all chemical medications... KILL tank cycles. it looks to be fin rot to me though, heres a link that may help-https://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/feb08/fish-finrot.htm

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice