Unknown Disease Affecting Clown Loach

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by schmartiepantz, Apr 22, 2018.

1. schmartiepantzNew MemberMember

Hi!
    One of my clown loaches has these strange markings all over it's body. The head has these big white dots that look like some sort of wound. One of its pupils is also turning white in the middle.

I haven't found any information about these symptoms online. I would like to know what this is and how I'm supposed to treat it.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Iridium_2256Valued MemberMember

Water parameters? Tankmates? Clown loaches should be in groups of 4 or more as well

3. schmartiepantzNew MemberMember

I have 4 clown loaches and have had them for about 8 years. This is the only one showing any signs of a potential disease. The tank mates are all healthy, but I had some problems with the aquarium light a while back. I believe this might have caused fluctuations in the water parameters.

The water parameters are good IMO. I have no ammonia or nitrite. And nitrates are 5 to 10 ppm. My kh is between 3 and 5 and my dGH is around 7. PH is 6.5

Right now I would just like some advice on treatment for the fish.

4. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

It looks there is a grey layer over its skin as well? Or is it the pic? That could point towards a protozoan. The spots in the second pic puzzle me though (looks like Hexamita but Clowns aren't known to get that I think).

5. schmartiepantzNew MemberMember

Yes, you are correct. There there are Grey markings/rashes across its body.

One more thing that I forgot to mention was that the fish acted strangely when the symptoms first appeared. It stopped eating and would always lodge itself between the aquarium glass and the heater. I thought that surely it would die, but after two or three days it started bahaving normally, although the symptoms have gotten worse. In the beginning it looked like the fish had ich or velvet and it also had puffy eyes. That has gradually changed to the state it is now in.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice